Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Aurora as sample case for AI piloting errors.  (Read 2526 times)

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Aurora as sample case for AI piloting errors.
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2019, 12:06:05 PM »

- Odyssey has different priorities, all of the above will easily hit it, but can be shield tanked for quite a while. While kinetics are to be avoided. Yet, if there is a direction that is covered by multiple Needlers only and nothing else, that's also a vulnerable spot for armor tanking.

The AI making decisions based on which weapons are in which mounts feels kind of cheaty, as that is information that the player doesn't have easy access to until they find out the hard way (and is more fiddly to program nicely). A more basic decision making process based on the fields of fire of all filled mounts (regardless of type) would be best, in my opinion. Additionally, attempting to hammer on sides where armor has been worn down would be good.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2019, 12:13:02 PM »

You can see the enemy's loadouts before the battle.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »

The AI making decisions based on which weapons are in which mounts feels kind of cheaty, as that is information that the player doesn't have easy access to until they find out the hard way (and is more fiddly to program nicely). A more basic decision making process based on the fields of fire of all filled mounts (regardless of type) would be best, in my opinion. Additionally, attempting to hammer on sides where armor has been worn down would be good.

You get weapon list for targeted enemy and can pause to zoom in and view in detail at any moment.

Hammering same armor spot is good idea, yes. Though I think only Hyperion and phase frigates have capacity to execute that perfectly against omni shielded ships.

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2019, 01:45:20 PM »

Yes, you can see a list of weapons on the ship, and you can pause and closely inspect the ship so that you can recognize weapon sprites, but that takes an order of magnitude more experience at the game than "the Onslaught has most of its guns facing forwards, get behind it". I wouldn't expect most players to be able to use that information to determine where to attempt to strike from, so using that info for AI feels like making an RTS AI aware of where the enemy is at all times.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 01:46:52 PM by BringerofBabies »

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2019, 02:35:42 PM »

Yes, you can see a list of weapons on the ship, and you can pause and closely inspect the ship so that you can recognize weapon sprites, but that takes an order of magnitude more experience at the game than "the Onslaught has most of its guns facing forwards, get behind it". I wouldn't expect most players to be able to use that information to determine where to attempt to strike from, so using that info for AI feels like making an RTS AI aware of where the enemy is at all times.

YOu can press R and it will give you almost all of the same in combat information you have. Including weapon names, what weapon is selected, whether or not that weapon is on auto-fire and the damage type of the weapon

Offensive_Name

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2019, 05:51:38 PM »

I agree completely. A simple fix would be the ability to set the AI of ships without officers to Aggressive or any of the others.

You can already do that. Doctrine agressiveness setting affects all ships without officers, including the ones in your own battles. Put it on 3 instead of the default 2 and all your ships will behave as if they had agressive officers.

A simple fix would be to actually explain that to the player better. Right now you need to mouse over some weird bar amongst other weird bars on a tab that looks like it only affects colonies.

I have been playing far too long to have not known that lol. Thanks a lot.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2019, 06:18:19 PM »

In my case, I do not want to spend more time reading the enemy ship's weapons than it takes to simply kill the ship.

Some players like to play Starsector mostly as a cRPG or strategy game.  I like to play this game mainly as an arcade or retro 80's shmup, and pausing too long to read minor info gets in the way of that.

As for behavior settings, if that does not apply to your portrait character or faction leader, it would be nice for the game to either tell the player it is locked at Steady, or let the player set the behavior of his faction leader.  I think I set faction behavior to aggressive or reckless, yet my flagship still behaves as Steady when I set it to autopilot.
Pages: 1 [2]