Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's the point of restoring a ship ?  (Read 7861 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What's the point of restoring a ship ?
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 01:33:16 PM »

That's right, yeah - x1.2 per d-mod; "baseRestoreCostMultPerDMod" in settings.json. Also multiplied by "baseRestoreCostMult".

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2019, 01:52:54 PM »

I really wish restoration was tied to industry (if player has one). So they choice becomes "expensive instant restoration" or "long, nanoforge dependent"

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2019, 12:44:11 AM »

The way I see it, you shouldn't restore, if you can just buy or order another ship of that class. This means that you either have friends or a colony and it gives you a reward for doing either of these things. Restoration is for when you can't buy a clean ship or order it. You put no effort or risk into getting it, so now you have to pay more.
Too bad raising relations with one faction doesn't  actually require much effort and even then, open and black markets are still enough to avoid having to commit to a commission.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 01:29:12 AM »

The way I see it, you shouldn't restore, if you can just buy or order another ship of that class. This means that you either have friends or a colony and it gives you a reward for doing either of these things. Restoration is for when you can't buy a clean ship or order it. You put no effort or risk into getting it, so now you have to pay more.
Too bad raising relations with one faction doesn't  actually require much effort and even then, open and black markets are still enough to avoid having to commit to a commission.
Except it's the opposite.  You put no effort or risk into buying a ship or ordering one from a colony.  You put lots of effort into killing enemy fleets and recovering ships.  Boarding and recovering enemy ships should be beneficial, not a complete waste of time.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 02:26:22 AM »

Ordering a ship is not risky and time-consuming, but owning the colony that manufactures them is. As for faction commissions, I agree they are underwhelming at the moment, they are more like free money.

kenwth81

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 02:37:44 AM »

I would prefer more option to restore ships. Like taking a month or two to restore ship at a reduced cost and leaving them at spaceport instead of being instant. Then, nobody should complain about "INSTANT REPAIR" right?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 08:43:57 AM »

Other people would then complain it takes too long.

We will see what happens when ships with built-in hullmods (from story points) come next release.

Limitless

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2019, 11:15:47 AM »

I would prefer more option to restore ships. Like taking a month or two to restore ship at a reduced cost and leaving them at spaceport instead of being instant. Then, nobody should complain about "INSTANT REPAIR" right?

That already exists. Just order a new ship AND you get to keep hold of your current one until you get it!

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »

I'm playing with a mod right now that had a quest to get a unique ship along with unlocking the blue's for it's weapons.

All it's done is made me crave the idea of more unique wrecks and technologies to find out there in the black. Stuff that isn't RNG but worth the fight and exploration over. Like the 14th legions!

I want to explore a graveyard sector, filled with mysteries and secret ancient technologies that would make the AdMech from 40k envious!
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

wtftucker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2019, 11:31:06 AM »

I get the feeling no one here has ever had to pay cash after a terrible car wreck.  The cost of repairs and the labor to "rebuild" a car is much higher then to just purchase a new car outright.  Its the principle reason by insurance companies 'total' your car instead of paying for said repairs is the cost to them heavily favors just buying out its value at the time of accident roughly.

kenwth81

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 11:33:29 AM »

That already exists. Just order a new ship AND you get to keep hold of your current one until you get it!

Some rare ships cannot be bought or built.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2019, 11:35:18 AM »

So far, the only ship that truly qualifies is Legion (XIV).  Of course, player may not have all of the blueprints (or a Heavy Industry built, if avoiding expeditions) until very late in the game.

kenwth81

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2019, 11:59:59 AM »

So far, the only ship that truly qualifies is Legion (XIV).  Of course, player may not have all of the blueprints (or a Heavy Industry built, if avoiding expeditions) until very late in the game.

You don't play with mods? In some mods, there are quests where you can fight some bosses and take their ship when you win. Those ships probably cannot be bought or built.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2019, 12:45:35 PM »

You don't get to reply like you are talking about the game...only to then say that you was talking about a mod. If it's a mod, then say that your argument is based on a mod before, not after.

kenwth81

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2019, 04:30:13 PM »

You don't get to reply like you are talking about the game...only to then say that you was talking about a mod. If it's a mod, then say that your argument is based on a mod before, not after.

I assume people that actually play this game with or without mods when people talk about a modded item, and not mention it's a mod, people are knowledgeable enough and will still know what they're talking about. Unfortunately not.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 04:34:16 PM by kenwth81 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3