Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Randomly Slow Battle speed  (Read 2760 times)

hoangvu0405

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Randomly Slow Battle speed
« on: August 27, 2019, 09:01:40 PM »

I'm currently having an issue with the starsector battle, the battle would start out normal but it would randomly slow down then back to normal speed again.
I only have this issue with my second character play through and if I reload my earlier saved file of that character this would not happen. Perhaps this is due to something wrong with the new saved file? Please help me fix this cuz i'm quite tired of having to reload earlier saved file to avoid this problem.

I'm currently playing on my laptop, core I5 and 8GB of ram, windows 10 and the game run with the game's included Java.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 09:09:22 PM by hoangvu0405 »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Randomly Slow Battle speed
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 09:17:24 PM »

Hi - sorry about the trouble! Hmm. Haven't actually heard of this reported before. Are you running vanilla or with mods? It's possible something in a mod might cause this.

Another possibility would be something on your computer running in the background and slowing it down, but given that you're saying it only happens for one of your saves, that doesn't seem too likely.

Oh! Are you flying a phase ship, by chance? When your ship is phased (right-click to phase/unphase), time inside it flows faster, and everything outside slows in comparison.

hoangvu0405

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 09:27:39 PM »

Hi, i didn't expect to get a reply this quick, thanks a lot.
Anw, i'm running vanilla, and i do have a ton of phase ship in my fleet but i never control them myself. I would usually give out order to my fleet in the tactical screen and sometime press F view them in battle, could that some how be the cause??

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 09:39:59 PM »

If the phase ship you're watching is phased, it'll go really fast, which might make it seem slower when it's *not* phased, but the other stuff around will move at the normal speed regardless.

hoangvu0405

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 10:43:54 PM »

I think i know the reason why i'm experiencing this. Since you suggest that when you phase the ship time would be slow. I put my commander in a non phase ship and the battle ran normally, but when i put my commander in a phase ship time would slow when that ship phase.
So it's not a bug but just game design, if i'm controlling the ship slowing down time is awesome but when i'm micro managing the whole battle that could be a little annoying. If you could disable the function when commander ship is in auto pilot in the next patch that would be great. If not, you could put it in the tips so everyone can be aware of that.

Anw, thanks for the help I really appreciate it. Beside, hope that one day you can make this game multiplayer and put it on steam  ;D ;D. I would love to do battle with my friend.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2019, 07:36:07 AM »

Ah, yeah, that's just how phase works. You could put Operations Center on a civ frigate and hide in the corner of the map instead :)

Multiplayer isn't in the cards, I'm afraid! It'd basically be a whole other game in terms of effort; would have to be re-build the engine and re-design the game, so, right, a different game - but that's not quite a good topic for discussing in this subforum.

Omnikuken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2019, 08:56:57 AM »

Already solved but still a good tip : check the FPS counter on the bottom of the battle screen > if that gets low, it's a slowdown > if it stays up/normal but the battle "feels" slow, it's a phase ship  8)

Althaea

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 10:01:16 AM »

Do you have Herons in your fleet? (Or, if using mods, something like the Vortex from S&WP?)

I've experienced drops from 60->8 FPS when carriers use abilities that affect their fighters, like the Heron's targeting feed (or the Vortex' time acceleration - notably, the Scarab's similar time acceleration doesn't cause slowdowns). I might post a thread on my own later, but I'm feeling lazy right now.