Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How expendition-related reputation loss works should be clearer  (Read 660 times)

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile

There's been a lot of new players in the unofficial discord channel confused about why they're losing reputation when an expedition fails, because the fleet they just blew up said that they wouldn't lose reputation for blowing it up. It should be made more clear that an expedition failing will always result in a set amount of reputation loss no matter how many expedition fleets you personally destroy, and that the reputation loss is caused specifically by the expedition's failure. I'd also suggest that the flavour text explaining this imply that the reputation loss is because success breeds jealousy, to validate the player's predictable emotional reaction to extralegal business sabotage.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How expendition-related reputation loss works should be clearer
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 07:36:47 AM »

Yeah, this actually came up a little while ago - oddly enough, also in bug reports - and I've tweaked the wording on the intel item to mention a reputation loss. The fleet itself still says there's no rep penalty, though, hmm. It's awkward because it's one of those "technically true" things...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 07:42:10 AM »

Few times, I lost reputation because the expedition failed due to me abandoning the colony.  They are mad at me because I removed their target.  They are only happy if they personally disrupt or destroy the target, not if I do it for them by removing the colony off the map.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 12:00:29 PM »

Maybe you should lose rep immediately when then faction decides to send an expedition, and then you could get it back with the bribe or something. It would be clearer at least why you are losing rep, and it would be functionally the same except for when you lose an expedition. You could give rep back in that case to make it functionally the same if you wanted to with a bit of dialogue like 'the hegemony officials, now satisfied with your production level, are happy to forget past transgressions'.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 03:21:36 PM »

I agree. Cause and effect should be immediate and clearer regarding colonies and their interactions. Afterall, if you, transponder off, attack smugglers or whatever, they immediately give you a rep change.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 03:25:37 PM by Plantissue »