Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Star Trek Eras [0.96]  (Read 31694 times)

superjosh250

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek Eras [0.95.1a]
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2023, 03:17:29 PM »

@mrpras, Yeah. I'm going to have to figure something out for historic ships. I like the idea of a Fleet Museum that Star Trek Picard has, but that'd make them accessible regardless... at least if you know anything about lore. I tried to make it to where historic vessels are found at historic locations. Its been a hot minute since I last hoped on the OG Eras (TNG) mod, but if I recall correctly, there should be a defense force orbiting the Enterprise C. Let me know if you've encountered it.

And if you know where the Enterprise D was constructed... should be an easy find. I guess for my next bit of work, I'll make it more difficult to access the ships. Like I said, I'll ask around for help, since I'm not really a coder. It'd probably be a few hoops to jump through to decrease accessibility, but if they're simple enough, I'll try them. If not simple, I'm sure there's other ways to bring historic ships into the fray.

And, yeah, I should advertise what I'm working on as an option not included to the main mod. The mod is fairly sizable as it is. That's 7mb I could shave off. I'll definitely keep that in mind. And @mrpras, thank you so much for the input and suggestions! It really helps and motivates me to keep working on this mod, even when I get tired or annoyed with it. It's worth it. Cause I get to be flying Trek ships really badly and others too.

mrpras

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2023, 04:52:28 AM »

Actually I did encounter the C with the defense fleet and thought - this is a pretty good solution to the "too easy" problem even if it is a quick fix solution it works. The idea that Romulans are in the habit of wanting to own Federation Flagships makes enough sense. In future if the mod builds out with Borg etc it could be that we are "reclaiming" captured vessels from enemies either by attacking or befriending them.

I think this TNG mod is the pride of the collection and hope you keep working on it. I personally would integrate the cardassian etc mods into the TNG as one big one because without them the fed are singularly OP AF and with a single danube you can conquer the galaxy. Which is cool. I´ve been rewatching the TNG series while exploring the Sector in the Enterprise D. Then later discovered the E and continued with that. Very cool, one of the best starsector mods for sure.

So a few other suggestions/observations

There´s a supership option that gives you DS9 as a starter ship. I guess that´s a flaw in the game/nexerelin (It might be nex, I literally never play without it.. Ever.)

You might add industrial replicators as an industry mod: They would require a lot of energy (maybe a heavy credits upkeep or volatiles usage) but could manufacture a small amount of a wide range of stuff like ship components. Maybe a Station would be needed before building one so it´s not so easy or cheap.

Could we have some named Hero officers such as Riker, Worf, Data etc?

I think "tinman" would make a great easter-egg for an automated ship with disgustingly OP speed and weapons.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Gomtuu - Could be that the ship only works with an automated core, has prebuilt equipment and weapons and zero upgrade ability.

Angel963

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2023, 08:25:53 PM »

is there a sub-mod or something since there is no real weapon sound effects, also the photon torpedo's dont have their visuals for me either. also i cant find utopia planitia around mars to get the ent-d if thats where its meant to spawn
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 11:18:33 PM by Angel963 »

superjosh250

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2023, 10:29:40 PM »

@Angel963. What a great little point about no weapons sounds. Weapon sounds weren't a priority for me at all. (still isn't) I just wanted to get functional version of the mod out. Weapons sounds are on the list of side-projects to add to the Eras mod though.

As for torpedo visuals, I'm not entirely sure as to why you don't have any visuals for that. To my knowledge, the torpedoes were working correctly upon the original release date. If you could possible let me know which torpedo specifically isn't working... or the ship equipped with the torpedoes, I could check it out and see what the problem is.

It is likely though that the torpedo is moving faster than you can personally track. They're pretty fast (in order to easily hit the target without pre-fire aiming as much). I only believe that, because I'm using basically the same exact assets for the more Vanilla version of Star Trek Eras (TNG Vanilla). They've been working perfectly fine for me.

So, just let me know which vessel you were using so I can track down the issue. I'd appreciate it.

superjosh250

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 12, 2023, 10:55:55 PM »

Actually I did encounter the C with the defense fleet and thought - this is a pretty good solution to the "too easy" problem even if it is a quick fix solution it works. The idea that Romulans are in the habit of wanting to own Federation Flagships makes enough sense. In future if the mod builds out with Borg etc it could be that we are "reclaiming" captured vessels from enemies either by attacking or befriending them.

I think this TNG mod is the pride of the collection and hope you keep working on it. I personally would integrate the cardassian etc mods into the TNG as one big one because without them the fed are singularly OP AF and with a single danube you can conquer the galaxy. Which is cool. I´ve been rewatching the TNG series while exploring the Sector in the Enterprise D. Then later discovered the E and continued with that. Very cool, one of the best starsector mods for sure.

So a few other suggestions/observations

There´s a supership option that gives you DS9 as a starter ship. I guess that´s a flaw in the game/nexerelin (It might be nex, I literally never play without it.. Ever.)

You might add industrial replicators as an industry mod: They would require a lot of energy (maybe a heavy credits upkeep or volatiles usage) but could manufacture a small amount of a wide range of stuff like ship components. Maybe a Station would be needed before building one so it´s not so easy or cheap.

Could we have some named Hero officers such as Riker, Worf, Data etc?

I think "tinman" would make a great easter-egg for an automated ship with disgustingly OP speed and weapons.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Gomtuu - Could be that the ship only works with an automated core, has prebuilt equipment and weapons and zero upgrade ability.

@mrpras 
So, um, first thing, yes the DS9 starter ship was slapped in on purpose. I'm a bit of a psychopath. I thought it would be hilarious to be honest. Whilst basically a flying fortress, there is a huge penalty. You're maximum speed is 1... 1 in Starsector? That's terrible. And your entire fleet would be hampered by the slowest vessel. At max, your fleet might get up to burn level 3. In the end, its not even worth it unless you're the type to set a course, walk away, do something else, and come back to find a Starbase made it to the next star system. Not worth it.

As far as Industries go, I don't know anything about creating custom industries. I can plugin to vanilla industries and slap my own title on it but I don't know how to alter the code to affect certain areas of Starsector that I would like when it comes to the economy. But I guess it would be a start just to do that. It could give me a basis for learning. If I start that, it be a project for later. My current primary focus on faction building at the moment. High level functions (if I can ever conquer that hurdle) would be a distant project.

Um, when it comes to the separate releases, it actually helps me to keep all the factions as a separate mod entirely. It's very easy for me to lost track when mix matching. I'd done it before with a much earlier mod. It was so bad, I had to scrap it since I botched it so badly. I couldn't locate the issue and had to start from scratch. I am not going through that again if I can help it.

Plus, the idea behind separate species and eras is so players can build their Star Trek world their way. Personally, I wouldn't even include the Cardassians in my own installation, even if I did build the mod for them. But I completely understand where you're coming from. That's why I try to release an enemy set alongside FED releases. They can't just fly around unchallenged.

Now, with the more vanilla release, it FED's should have some challenge fighting against Vanilla Starsector ships. (Um, honestly I don't know if that's really true. It's not as easy with lower tier vessels, like the Saber, Excelsior, and Nova. But a Galaxy can just cream anything in its way)

Well, anywho, would you like to BetaTest the Vanilla eras @mrpras? I've got some more work before the beta is ready but I'm pretty close to the end too. Just need your opinion. Let me know.

Angel963

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 12, 2023, 11:45:24 PM »

@Angel963. What a great little point about no weapons sounds. Weapon sounds weren't a priority for me at all. (still isn't) I just wanted to get functional version of the mod out. Weapons sounds are on the list of side-projects to add to the Eras mod though.

As for torpedo visuals, I'm not entirely sure as to why you don't have any visuals for that. To my knowledge, the torpedoes were working correctly upon the original release date. If you could possible let me know which torpedo specifically isn't working... or the ship equipped with the torpedoes, I could check it out and see what the problem is.

It is likely though that the torpedo is moving faster than you can personally track. They're pretty fast (in order to easily hit the target without pre-fire aiming as much). I only believe that, because I'm using basically the same exact assets for the more Vanilla version of Star Trek Eras (TNG Vanilla). They've been working perfectly fine for me.

So, just let me know which vessel you were using so I can track down the issue. I'd appreciate it.
you may be right about the torpedo speed, I'll play more and see if I cant pause to verify they are using their sprites or not, one thing i did have happen is i believe the mk12 torpedo caused a crash saying something about missile weapon must fire missiles, I'll double check the weapon to give you a more accurate weapon name. Also a bit of help knowing where to look for the Enterprise D would be nice, I checked TNG Mars and Ent-era mars for Utopia Planitia and couldn't find anything.

mrpras

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 12, 2023, 11:48:36 PM »

The Enterprise D was transferred from Utopia Planitia to another station before departing for Farpoint.

mrpras

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2023, 11:49:14 PM »

@superjosh250
Thanks for the offer to test the beta/vanilla. I would enjoy that. If I were you though, I would just share it as a beta to this community as you will get better feedback. But I would be happy to test to help iron anything out before then.  ;D

Regarding balance, A galaxy or above should probably be able to cream any vanilla ship. the only real opponents would be flagships of other races. Then again Borg ships should be able to cream any Alpha Sector race probably. Since Wolf359 has happened, will there be some borg ships in there too? Would love to see some assimilated versions of fed ships too :D

mrpras

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2023, 11:51:41 PM »

one thing i did have happen is i believe the mk12 torpedo caused a crash saying something about missile weapon must fire missiles

I had this error when using a Shield drone autoforge from another mod together with the star trek TNG mod. Not sure if that is the cause for you, but removing the autoforge fixed it.

superjosh250

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2023, 12:52:49 AM »

@Angel963, could you be specific about the torpedo please? I don't recall using MK XII as a designation? MK XII or Type XII? If it is the latter, I've tested the weapon to ensure it s working. It works.

I would like to be sure I didn't have a hidden file in the mod though. Are you using a pre-built variant or custom variant with the torpedo? If it is pre-built, please tell me the name of the ship so I can test and possibly correct the issue.

Also, like @mrpras said, the Enterprise D is at a special station before departure for Farpoint. Historically, this facility was used for the Enterprise D's shakedown. Try to think to think hard... (or google it).

Angel963

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2023, 01:15:57 AM »

@Angel963, could you be specific about the torpedo please? I don't recall using MK XII as a designation? MK XII or Type XII? If it is the latter, I've tested the weapon to ensure it s working. It works.

I would like to be sure I didn't have a hidden file in the mod though. Are you using a pre-built variant or custom variant with the torpedo? If it is pre-built, please tell me the name of the ship so I can test and possibly correct the issue.

Also, like @mrpras said, the Enterprise D is at a special station before departure for Farpoint. Historically, this facility was used for the Enterprise D's shakedown. Try to think to think hard... (or google it).
I did mean type xii but it may not be that one, I'm going through the torps in an attempt to replicate it, so in replicating it it only seems to occur if an Ai controlled ship is firing it, when I command the ship it behaves, when I let the AI pilot the Maquis raider its equipped on the game crashes and the attached message is what appears.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 01:41:56 AM by Angel963 »

superjosh250

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2023, 10:07:15 AM »

@Angel963, I've located the issue. It was definitely something I did. The AI does not like the experiment I was performing with the Type XII photon. I never encountered the issue in my game-play, probably because I never let the AI drive my ships. I'm curious to know if pre-equipped AI causing the crash as well.

Regardless, the issue has been resolved. A quick little patch can be found on the front page. Just follow the instructions and it should fix the issue. I hope.

Angel963

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2023, 12:33:31 PM »

@Angel963, I've located the issue. It was definitely something I did. The AI does not like the experiment I was performing with the Type XII photon. I never encountered the issue in my game-play, probably because I never let the AI drive my ships. I'm curious to know if pre-equipped AI causing the crash as well.

Regardless, the issue has been resolved. A quick little patch can be found on the front page. Just follow the instructions and it should fix the issue. I hope.
Sounds good, I'll grab the patch and check it out, also I may be looking in the wrong areas but is the hero Defiant available? I've checked DS9 and Wolf-359 but cant find her, also not sure if the Wolf-359 is supposed to have only a Leave option when interacted with.

superjosh250

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2023, 02:42:13 PM »

@Angel963, The Defiant is not available. That is an oversight on my part. I can easily correct the issue with another mini-patch. And no, Wolf-359 is not supposed to have the USS Defiant. And yes, the Outpost at Wolf359 is supposed to only have a leave option. Lore wise, I imagine the Federation would have abandoned such a controversial site, save for a memorial left in the wake of 11000 deaths. As far as functionality though, I needed the broken hulls orbiting something I could easily identify. Though the sun could have served that purpose I chose an outpost instead.

Also, did the patch work? Please let me know.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 04:15:14 PM by superjosh250 »

Angel963

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2023, 04:38:44 PM »

@Angel963, The Defiant is not available. That is an oversight on my part. I can easily correct the issue with another mini-patch. And no, Wolf-359 is not supposed to have the USS Defiant. And yes, the Outpost at Wolf359 is supposed to only have a leave option. Lore wise, I imagine the Federation would have abandoned such a controversial site, save for a memorial left in the wake of 11000 deaths. As far as functionality though, I needed the broken hulls orbiting something I could easily identify. Though the sun could have served that purpose I chose an outpost instead.

Also, did the patch work? Please let me know.
seems to be working fine, and id appreciate a Defiant patch so I can fly around with Sisko's beating stick
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10