Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Which ships need more OPs?  (Read 11310 times)

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Which ships need more OPs?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2019, 12:51:59 PM »

Yeah the Mk II capitals have crazy low OP and you can't even put basic weapons without them fluxing out. They should have downsides since they're low DP, and they have enough of them. They either need better flux stats or more OP.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2019, 12:57:22 PM »

Yea the biggest ones on my list are definitely the pirate cruisers/capitals. I know they're supposed to be weak but they have ended up doubly weak. And since they're the least likely to be the beneficiary of story points i think its OK to bump them up.

mvp7

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2019, 12:58:45 PM »

Personally I think better flux dissipation would fit the Mk.II capitals better than more OP. Low OP keeps their weapons and mods fittingly low tier but the current flux stats just leave them dead in the water (vacuum?) as soon as their impressive first fifteen seconds is over.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2019, 01:04:50 PM »

FTR, Tempest has TWO Terminator drones now. Each with a PD Laser and IR Pulse Laser.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2019, 01:26:15 PM »

FTR, Tempest has TWO Terminator drones now. Each with a PD Laser and IR Pulse Laser.

Oh in that case the scarab totally has enough OP to be the same DP as the tempest :P

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2019, 01:46:10 PM »

Wolf: This might not need more OP it could also use more flux dissipation and/or an omni shield. More OP makes it easier to fit those hull mods though.
Either more OP and/or better flux stats.  As it is, I need to sacrifice almost everything to get almost enough dissipation to support a pulse laser.  With only more flux stats, Wolf may still be OP starved, but at least it may not need to grab multiple hullmods to make pulse laser usable.

It also just got a pretty significant nerf (50 flux dissipation and 1,000 capacity).
That really did hurt for something that costs 30 DP to deploy.  If I do not want to go the Sabot/Expanded Missile Racks route, then I outfit it like mini-Odyssey.  Two Heavy Blasters, four or five burst PD, and nothing else for weapons.  Everything goes to vents, and flux and shield hullmods.  Just so it can fight decently with two heavy blasters.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2019, 01:57:45 PM »

A problem with giving a flat +10% OP to ship stats is that some ships will simply struggle to fill up the OP in the early game without the requisite hullmods needed, especially without +20%  maximum flux capacitors/flux.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2019, 02:19:40 PM »

You want to compare optimally built ships because that's what you will be putting in your fleet. If you have the option of putting a medusa or hammerhead in your fleet, you will be outfitting them both as best you can, so you should compare their best versions. As to whether a 1v1 is a good comparison in the first place, that's much less clear.

I think the hardest part about OP balance is that sometimes ships feel like they don't have enough OP to fit stuff but are still really strong (astral) because they have stats/systems that are really strong and on the other hand I would say the wolf has a reasonable amount of OP but it's stats are just too weak. So ship balance and OP are not really directly correlated, but it still feels bad to not have enough OP, even if the ship is strong.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2019, 02:26:44 PM »

In general most ships seem to have a fixed amount of OP based on a rough formula of (appropriate OP for all the weapon mounts) + (a fixed amount of OP for the Hull class). This means that ships with loads of weapon mounts that can be left empty for the flux available, often feel more powerful, becuase they have more OP available. Some ships like Hammerhead and Shrike absolutely have much more or less OP than the rest of their ship class.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2019, 02:50:52 PM »

Shrike is only 8 DP. It should not have the same OP as the 10+ DP destroyers.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2019, 03:02:49 PM »

In general most ships seem to have a fixed amount of OP based on a rough formula of (appropriate OP for all the weapon mounts) + (a fixed amount of OP for the Hull class). This means that ships with loads of weapon mounts that can be left empty for the flux available, often feel more powerful, becuase they have more OP available. Some ships like Hammerhead and Shrike absolutely have much more or less OP than the rest of their ship class.
If I were designing the system I wouldn't account for weapon mounts AT ALL for OP, except in rare cases where the ship has some exceptional mount setup (eg oversized mounts for the hull=OP penality, very few/small weapon mounts = op bonus).    I'd start with a flat value per hull class, then modify that value to account for DP, shields, speed, armor, and ship system.  Because you can (and should) leave mounts empty, more mounts just means more OP relative to exactly the same ship if those empty mounts were deleted.  The majority of OP on any strong build goes into flux and hull mods anyway.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 03:07:26 PM by sotanaht »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2019, 07:21:40 PM »

If I were designing the system I wouldn't account for weapon mounts AT ALL for OP, except in rare cases where the ship has some exceptional mount setup (eg oversized mounts for the hull=OP penality, very few/small weapon mounts = op bonus).    I'd start with a flat value per hull class, then modify that value to account for DP, shields, speed, armor, and ship system.  Because you can (and should) leave mounts empty, more mounts just means more OP relative to exactly the same ship if those empty mounts were deleted.  The majority of OP on any strong build goes into flux and hull mods anyway.

Just change Medusa's small hardpoints from universal synergy and you've already ruined it. Clearly mounts do matter too.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2019, 07:27:35 PM »

Just change Medusa's small hardpoints from universal synergy and you've already ruined it. Clearly mounts do matter too.
The type and placement matters a lot more than the quantity.  Remove all 5 small energies from the same Medusa and it probably won't make any difference at all.

Anyway, the logic of the current system is more mounts=more op, and to use that op on non-weapon stuff means sacrificing something from those mounts.  In actuality ships with fewer mounts have that same sacrifice built in to their design, and should reap the same reward.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 07:31:13 PM by sotanaht »

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2019, 07:30:23 PM »

The medusa can get a lot out of the forward universals but if they were energy or missile only it would not ruin the ship.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2019, 08:05:10 PM »

Both AM blasters and Ion Cannons are legit choices for the small forward turrets on the Medusa. Not on all builds, but on many they work well (or heck, even 1 of each).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6