Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: CTD when saving  (Read 5725 times)

Kreuzberger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: CTD when saving
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 11:57:21 AM »

No, there is no option like this.

Titann

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2019, 08:33:11 AM »

i was playing fine with tahlan and shadowyards disabled untill i see imperium mod is released lmao

getting save crash again... Maybe game developers needs to take look at this issue or I should upgrade my computer, untill then i'll play on 1024x768

P.S: doesnt work even 1024x768 doesnt work wth

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 08:36:20 AM by tokmak333 »

Kreuzberger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2019, 09:44:07 AM »

My situation hasnĀ“t changed either.

CynicJester

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2019, 02:25:34 PM »

Setting "processMessagesWhileSavingOrLoading" to false in data/config/settings.json

If you're like me, you probably set this one and promptly left it on false as you went on to try a shitton of other troubleshooting steps. What eventually let me use lots of mods without crashing on saving was turning this back to true after disabling Shaderlib.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 02:37:41 PM »

(Just a quick note here: if this is set to "false", then windows may report that the game has stopped responding etc, but that's actually not true, and if you wait it out, it should finish whatever it was doing. Just in case you were interpreting "stopped responding" as a crash. Basically, the only reason the processMessages thing is there at all is to stop windows from saying the game has stopped responding, it doesn't have any function beyond that.)

CynicJester

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2019, 02:49:34 PM »

I was getting Java crashes on the initial save after generating the sector with it set to false provided my modlist was long enough. Setting it to true stopped those crashes, nor have I had any save related crashes since.

Kreuzberger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2019, 04:13:28 PM »

Ok, trying that the days ahead. thanks.

CynicJester

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2019, 04:34:16 PM »

Seems I was a bit quick on the trigger, after making lots of characters in a single session with no crashes, it's back to crashing on initial save after generating the sector. Cutting down on the mod list removes the crashing on save. In game, GraphicsLib on or off, the game runs at a steady 63 frames except in the most saturated of battles. Try to save with lots of mods and you'll likely crash. Why saving causes the graphics driver to crash is beyond me though, if anything, I'd imagine an intense battle to be more likely to send it crashing.

Attached the err.log in case it might help.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2019, 09:17:04 PM »

Yeah, from the hs_err file, this looks like a driver crash. Maybe it's running out of VRAM or something? That could explain why paring down the mod list slightly gets around it.

CynicJester

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 02:27:03 AM »

It's a janky card, so that's certainly possible, but why would saving, whether on initial creation of the sector or in-game, be the straw the busts the camel? I've had no crashes in any other situation except saving, even in the instances where I managed to get in game with a large mod-list.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 08:33:38 AM »

When saving, the game hands the graphics context off to another thread (so that it can render an updated progress bar while the main thread is saving - the actual saving *has* to be on the main thread), and then hands it back when done saving. I've gone over that code a number of times and am pretty sure (as sure as one can be with any code) that it's done correctly, but apparently it can still give some drivers trouble under some set of circumstances.

... but, you know what, just thought of a way to do the rendering on the main thread as well. <about an hour later> alright, that looks like it works, performs just about the same, and should hopefully bypass the issue. Unless, of course, it's crashing on save for *another* reason.

CynicJester

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2019, 04:34:19 PM »

I did some testing today to see if I could get some more data points.

For reference, I'm running on a GT710 I ripped out of my media PC after my primary card died, so it's sitting on 1 GB of VRAM and is all sorts of not great for gaming.

If I launch Starsector as soon as my computer launches windows, I have a lot of leeway in the number of mods I can use and even with saving every time the autosave mod pokes me, I can play for hours without crashing on a save. Now that I think about it, if I manage to save a couple of times, I've never crashed after that.

On the other hand, if Starsector has already been played on the current boot, even if it ran fine, launching it again seems to make things iffy. I still only crash on saving mind you, but I do so almost every time I try, be it creating a new character or loading and saving an existing one. If I remove literally every faction mod, I no longer run into this.

Having GraphicsLib active or not does not seem to impact it at all, which feels weird.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2019, 04:38:06 PM »

That sounds more and more like some sort of driver-side persistent state thing... just guesswork on my part, of course. Hopefully what I changed will get around it entirely for the next release.

At what point does it crash, btw? Just as you start to save? Partway through the progress bar? As it's finishing?

CynicJester

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2019, 05:11:58 PM »

There are two types of crashes I see, both occurring at the same time according to starsector.log (Saving progress: 0.0). Either it just shuts down, no error messages but it leaves a hs_err file, or I get the java error pop-up. Both happen just prior to when the progress bar for saving should pop up. If I'm creating a new character, it crashes when the "Finishing(?)" bar completes.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2019, 05:13:35 PM »

Aha, thank you! This is encouraging as that would line up with the changes indeed fixing the issue, as what's changed is happening at the time of the crashes. Cool!
Pages: 1 [2] 3