Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scanning Smugglers as the player  (Read 2852 times)

Lord_Asmodeus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Scanning Smugglers as the player
« on: May 12, 2019, 06:58:21 AM »

As far as I know you can't scan trade fleets/smugglers as the player though I'm sure your own factions' patrols could do so, I'd think that once you have created a faction this would be an interesting mechanic as the players' fleet is often much stronger than any of your patrols for a fair bit until the colony can build up in size, meanwhile the smuggler fleets can be fairly large. If you wanted to prevent smugglers from providing materials to luddic path cells or pirate bases, being able to scan their ships to see if they're importing weapons or drugs would be cool. Unless you can with a hull mod or similar and I've not yet encountered it.

That does lead to a second point about establishing what sort of things you want to be able to buy and sell in your own market. Is it possible currently for the player to establish what sorts of things they (and by extension NPC fleets) are allowed to buy and sell on their open markets? If not it seems like it would be another interesting addition sometime down the line.

Volfgarix

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Scanning Smugglers as the player
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 04:39:27 AM »

You need smuggled-in drugs for miners, though.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 06:38:47 AM »

Usually, taking out smugglers going in or out of your colony disrupts trading, so it is better (for me) to let them go.  The only time catching smugglers is useful is where the perps are smuggled Pathers that want to blow up your overbuilt colony.  Even then, you probably take a minor rep hit with Independents.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 12:00:36 PM »

If you look at the text you see when you run into to a smuggler it should tell you “they are transporting x goods to y location, if they do not make it it will cause a disruption”

The main problem as i see it is that taking out smugglers causes disruption instead of the opposite*. Which means that taking out your own smugglers has a negative effect on your or your allies colonies.

*ideally it should be positive stability/effects depending on the goods/location. When a smuggler is taken out it should produce positive effects for non-free ports and negaitve effects for free ports/prates.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:05:57 PM by Goumindong »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 12:34:10 PM »

Yeah, one would think cleaning up smuggling would do good things for your colony, not cripple your economy!

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 12:46:11 PM »

To be honest, I find it a bit absurd that such a basic thing like mining (and population growth I think?) is dependable on an illegal resource.
Sure, you can go all freeport, but then the Hegemony gets on your bad side.

Hegemony and the Church probably don't like exported drugs, since this stuff ends up on their planets as well. So I kinda wish the player could manufacture drugs for personal use/non-export.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 12:48:49 PM »

To be honest, I find it a bit absurd that such a basic thing like mining (and population growth I think?) is dependable on an illegal resource.
This is a blatant homage to the Sean Connery film Outland (which is High Noon in space), and the Star One Space Metal album song based on that film, High Moon.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 01:49:26 PM »

Its entirely reasonable that things like mining require illegal drugs. Mining is hard work and recreational drugs help people get through it.

Its also reasonable that you cannot easily make something legal but illegal for export. If its legal you can't stop people from having it and that makes stopping people from shipping it very difficult. Hence why places which have things you have illegal don't like it when you're a freeport.

It even makes sense that taking down a smuggler could then be bad for your economy.

It just doesn't work in a game sense since I, who have set the colony to not be a freeport, now have an incentive to NOT enforce its laws.