Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: [0.97a] Ruthless Sector 1.6.2 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options  (Read 302117 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Ruthless Sector 1.5.0 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options
« Reply #210 on: August 14, 2023, 08:28:27 AM »

From what iv been told on the discord this mod reduces the amount of S-mods you can use to 0 by default, but i cant find any options to disable this particular feature like all the others. If this is part of the mod could you please add the option in the configs? I would greatly appreciate it :)

What? That's from Starpocalypse, editable in one of its .json files.
Yup. This mod doesn't affect s-mods in any way.

Lycaeon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 20, 2023, 02:38:35 PM »

Would it be possible to make the remnants roaming in hyperspace a separate mod? It's the only part of the mod I want for my playthroughs as everything else is already covered by separate mods such as starpocalypse, and lunalib's options aren't straightforward in allowing the rest of the mod to be disabled.

Failing that, a list of lunalib settings to disable/set to vanilla values would work as well. I know it's a big ask, but I feel the remnant hyperspace roaming is a major enough feature to stand on its own.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 03:05:38 PM by Lycaon »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 21, 2023, 09:33:22 AM »

I might split the roaming remnants feature off into a separate mod at some point, but I don't think it's likely. Updating and testing all of my mods each time Starsector updates already costs too much time, and splitting mods would make that worse. I've actually been considering ways to merge some of them...

I do need to make it easier to disable features though, so I'll try to work on that at some point. In the meantime, you can use this copy of the Luna Settings file that defaults to disabling all features. If you replace "/mods/Ruthless Sector/data/config/LunaSettings.csv" with that file and "Reset Mod to Default" in LunaSettings, it should be just like the mod isn't installed. Then you can just re-enable hyperspace remnants.

everything else is already covered by separate mods such as starpocalypse
Only overlap I'm aware of between this mod and Starpocalypse is that they both adjust relations, and even then the adjustment criteria are different enough that they make sense together. I'm not quite as familiar with other difficulty mods though. If you could point out where other overlap exists I'd appreciate it.

Lycaeon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 21, 2023, 10:23:55 AM »

Really appreciate the settings file. Much thanks! :D

In terms of overlap, I'd say the following:

Nexerelin already disables the Galatian stipend with the spacer start, replacing it with an increasing monthly debt instead.
The ingame ironman mode prevents save-scumming, and if I lose my entire fleet I consider that a game over.
I'm not sure how the automated defense range bonus will interact with Realistic Combat as that mod in general is very picky about interacting with other combat mods.
Reputation changes in starpocalypse as you've mentioned.

Mod features that are unique: The xp and danger star changes, the faction commission changes, and the remnant in hyperspace.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 21, 2023, 11:57:17 AM »

Thanks for the feedback!  ;D

Nexerelin already disables the Galatian stipend with the spacer start, replacing it with an increasing monthly debt instead.
This one's actually vanilla, believe it or not. Nex just makes it much more accessible. Normally you'd have to toggle a value in settings.json to even see the spacer start option

Lycaeon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 21, 2023, 12:11:16 PM »

This one's actually vanilla, believe it or not. Nex just makes it much more accessible. Normally you'd have to toggle a value in settings.json to even see the spacer start option

Huh, neat. I wonder why it's not enabled as a 'hard' setting in the base game.

On an aside, after reviewing the settings I decided to enable the XP changes as well, since they seem to be more in-depth than the vanilla xp system. They shouldn't interfere with Starship Legends as that's another one of your mods and Realistic Combat doesn't make any changes to the XP multiplier as far as I know.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2023, 12:20:15 PM by Lycaon »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 21, 2023, 10:05:16 PM »

Huh, neat. I wonder why it's not enabled as a 'hard' setting in the base game.
iirc Alex thought it was too experimental. Making it easily accessible could end up with too many people starting campaigns they won't enjoy as much. I think it's a perfect addition for Nex, because anyone who's using Nex and choosing the spacer start is likely to know what they're doing. I'm a big fan of the debt mechanic, personally, but I find the slow startup with the solo shuttle too boring.

They shouldn't interfere with Starship Legends
The xp adjustments from ruthless sector do affect starship legends. I wouldn't call it interference though, as it's a 100% deliberate interaction. I think the way vanilla awards xp is perfectly fine (better for most players, in fact). The idea behind the xp changes ruthless sector makes is basically to grant less progress for easy fights, so that difficult battles become a sort of "gating mechanism" for character progression. This can encourage optimized/cheesy strats and result in disappointment/frustration when the mod considers a fight easy and the player doesn't. If you decide to keep the xp changes enabled, I highly recommend also enabling all of the notifications on the "Other" tab, as they provide useful feedback about how the mod will scale the xp earned from each battle.

Shadowkiller

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 24, 2023, 08:43:17 PM »

From what iv been told on the discord this mod reduces the amount of S-mods you can use to 0 by default, but i cant find any options to disable this particular feature like all the others. If this is part of the mod could you please add the option in the configs? I would greatly appreciate it :)

What? That's from Starpocalypse, editable in one of its .json files.
Yup. This mod doesn't affect s-mods in any way.

Lmao im sorry for the mistake, i even got confirmation from multiple people before posting so thats a tad embarrassing. Thank you for pointing out the actual culprit!

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 24, 2023, 10:41:50 PM »

No worries! The Starsector Modiverse has gotten pretty big. There's a lot to keep track of.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.8 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #219 on: February 02, 2024, 10:16:54 PM »

Ruthless Sector 1.6.0
Save-compatible with previous versions

- Updated for Starsector 0.97a
- New behavior with default settings:
   - For games started without Nex or the tutorial, you start at a random colony
   - More factions will be hostile at the start of new games
   - Hostile factions will be chosen so that your relations align with the faction that owns the colony you start at
   - The accessibility penalty for hostilities with other factions is limited to 50%
- Added new settings for randomizing or specifying a starting location for games started without Nex or the tutorial
- Added new settings for improved control over reputation overrides
- Added a setting to control how much accessibility may be reduced due to hostilities with other factions

vagabond1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Ruthless Sector 1.6.0 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options
« Reply #220 on: February 19, 2024, 01:41:04 AM »

Heyo.

So I just had an issue where if I turned on Ruthless Sector, everyone would hate me (-65 relationship with almost 2/3 of the sector). Have any idea how this might've happened?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Ruthless Sector 1.6.0 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options
« Reply #221 on: February 19, 2024, 07:38:04 AM »

Yep. That's a new feature of this mod. Take a look at the post above yours for details. The setting to disable it is "Enable Starting Reputation Overrides" in the "Factions" tab.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a] Ruthless Sector 1.6.1 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2024, 09:48:34 AM »

Ruthless Sector 1.6.1
Save-compatible with previous versions

- Fixed starting conditions being applied after the initial save of a new game instead of before
- Changed: Hyperspace remnants now spawn about 0.5 LY further away

secondcircle

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Question about how the battle difficulty is calculated in Ruthless Sector, Looking at the description, it seems like there is no difference between a brawler and a wayfarer when calculating the expected battle difficulty. Same with say a Gemini and a enforcer. Am I thinking about this correctly? If so that seems odd, it seems to me you'd have a much more difficult battle using a equivalent DP combat freighter then a combat ship, I wonder if this can be accounted for somehow?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm also using Perilous Expanse, and because of how fuel works, I find myself wanting to use combat freighters more, which I really like, but I'm finding it very hard to win battles where I have any kind of bonus exp using wayfayers/gemini's as an example. Just wanted to get other's thoughts.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Ship strength estimation is based on fleet points (FP) which are not shown anywhere in-game. FP is supposed to be an estimation of the base combat strength of a ship type, but it isn't always accurate. Brawler and Wayfarer both have 5 deployment points, but Brawler has 7 FP and Wayfarer has 5 FP. Gemini has 9 for both, while Enforcer has 10 FP. In my estimation the FP of combat freighters do tend to be overestimated, but I'd never want to overwrite those values, especially for mod ships. But if you want to change a ship's FP, you can do so by editing starsector-core/data/hulls/ship_data.csv with a spreadsheet editor and changing the "fleet pts" column for the ship you want to change.

You can run the code below with console command to see the estimated strength of your flagship. Note that it will be adjusted for your skills, so it's not as useful as it could be in some cases.
runcode Console.showMessage(ruthless_sector.ModPlugin.getShipStrength(Global.getSector().getPlayerFleet().getFlagship(), true));

I'm glad you're trying perilous expanse! I tend to use combat freighters a lot as well, especially for early exploration. In my experience they tend to pull their weight in supporting roles, but few are useful as main frontline fighting ships. I generally try to make sure they always have long-range options and tough ships nearby to take pressure off of them.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17