Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do you experience graphical flickering ingame since 0.9 ?

Yes (GeForce)
- 8 (33.3%)
No (GeForce)
- 10 (41.7%)
Yes (AMD)
- 3 (12.5%)
No (AMD)
- 3 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Author Topic: Are some of your ingame graphical assets flickering ?  (Read 3371 times)

Ragni

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Are some of your ingame graphical assets flickering ?
« on: January 17, 2019, 08:24:58 AM »

Hello,
Since 0.9 I am experiencing weird graphical issues that are very annoying.
I cant even figure out why they happen as usually such issues have some sort of recurring pattern (lets say a flicker every 500ms or similar).
Sometimes its planets slightly having a seizure for its shadow, sometimes the asteroid belt is increasing its luminosity so it burns through the transparent UI screen of my fleet or inventory. Sometimes the skill buttons in character screen light up as if they are trying to sell me something.

In short, something is very wrong.

My assumption:
I bet half of my ass that its the dumb millenial overlays that are conflicting with the game.
Discord ?
GeForce experience shadowplay ?
AMD (dont know anything about their stuff)
Or some bizarre mix of the above and half implemented graphical drivers that hastily supported such features ?
Something something, please give your input, i am done with this flickering, thanks.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Are some of your ingame graphical assets flickering ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:25:38 AM »

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11237.0

Enjoy the read. I still have the issue I'm describing here, the card is still fine after all those years, which can almost completely rule out a hardware issue.

Are you using the same card? Does it happen in any other game? It seems to be linked to transparency.

Also I noticed that some streamers have the same issue in popular games, but they don't seem to be paying attention to it.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 06:35:59 PM »

Yes, but it's not a 0.9 thing. It's been flickering ever since I got the R9 270x. Before that I had a GTX 275, no flickering.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 06:45:46 PM »

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11237.0

Enjoy the read. I still have the issue I'm describing here, the card is still fine after all those years, which can almost completely rule out a hardware issue.

Are you using the same card? Does it happen in any other game? It seems to be linked to transparency.

Also I noticed that some streamers have the same issue in popular games, but they don't seem to be paying attention to it.

Yeah, back then I was on a HD 5870 and didn't have the issue.

Since then I've upgraded through a 1060, then a 1070.
Both cards have exhibited the intermittent flickering in SS.

i suspect those not experiencing it simply aren't noticing; it is quite subtle, and very intermittent.
(or there's some other commonality we've yet to determine)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 04:52:21 AM by TJJ »

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 07:31:16 PM »

1060 here, no flickering. Tho I am using 144hz monitor with high fps.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 07:53:20 AM »

(or there's some other commonality we've yet to determine)

When I first tried SS on this rig, it had nothing, not even Steam was running, no security program, nothing. I'm really beginning to suspect it's a hardware issue on the recent Nvidia GPUs and they don't have a clue what's causing it. Doesn't seem to do anything else since the card has been behaving correctly otherwise, but in my case it's always with transparency in one form or another.

1060 here, no flickering. Tho I am using 144hz monitor with high fps.

Are you sure you're not mistaking what we're talking about with tearing?

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 10:33:11 AM »

The last time I looked into this, I did notice one thing; the flickering completely stops when capturing the game using OBS.

No idea if that's a behaviour anyone else has observed, or if it hints at a possible cause.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 08:11:56 PM »

1080ti here, like the other guy who first reported it in alex's thread said - it becomes more noticeable the longer the play session until it gets to the point where you sometimes get entire white-screen flickers and not just individual elements/overlays.

240hz screen. I don't think there's any commonality between refresh rate and not, but it *might* be a result of Gysnc and how that's implemented (and freesync for AMD cards).

But yes, I also didn't experience any flickering ever with my 5870 and my last crappy TN panel.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 08:14:39 PM by Ishman »