Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Fav cap ship flagship?  (Read 22613 times)

DancingMonkey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Fav cap ship flagship?
« on: December 15, 2018, 10:51:01 AM »

I usually pick a cruiser as a flagship and give cap ships to my officers to use.

Anyone like using cap ships as a flagship? Which ones?

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fav cap ship flagship?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 10:56:22 AM »

Odyssey

It’s like a cruiser but it’s also a battleship and it has two plasma cannons and can donk things out of the way.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 11:34:04 AM »

Paragon with lances and HVDs.  It is the closest no-mod Starsector has to a godship.  It is also the only ship that can snipe and kill things from across the screen.

However, it can take a long time before I can get everything I want, so I may end up with Onslaught or Conquest.  They work too.  I also may take other capitals over Paragon if I do not have all of the weapons and hullmods I want for Paragon.  Paragon with other weapons is good, but not as much as one with lances and HVDs.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 11:42:15 AM »

Conquest. IPDAI upgrade in 0.9 made Conquest very competitive in combat and it's fast (8 Burn) on global map. Also slightly less expensive to maintain than either Paragon or Onslaught.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 11:54:23 AM »

Yes, IPDAI helped Conquest (and others in general).  Even Mining Lasers can work on it.  I like IPDAI IR Pulse Lasers because of excellent stopping power, much like in the 0.7 era.  They are a bit flux hungry, but their short range means they only proc when things get close.

Conquest is probably the most common capital in 0.9, overtaking Onslaught from before.  Helps that the two biggest colony bullies, Diktat and League, have Conquest as their signature capital.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 11:56:21 AM »

Onslaught. Burn drive lets you run down almost any enemy, get across the map, shatter enemy formations... in the meantime its almost immune to fighters and has excellent firepower in many arcs. It also does well with fairly common weapons, though dual flaks are a pretty big boost.

I will admit that its not quite as powerful as a quad lance Paragon, but I find it makes more of a difference on the battlefield because of burn drive. Paragon is probably better for station killing, which tends to be the hardest fights, but Onslaught does well enough. Also I've found that Onslaughts are actually better at hunting remnant battleships because it can mount large kinetics (though the multi-lance enemy variants are difficult).

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 12:00:41 PM »

Odyssey and after that Conquest, there's always something to do in those.
Paragon/Onslaught/Legion are great but I get annoyed by their turnrate/base speed.

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 12:28:20 PM »

I usually pick a cruiser as a flagship and give cap ships to my officers to use.

Anyone like using cap ships as a flagship? Which ones?

In 7.2 I used to use Afflictor as my flagship and if I ran out of combat readyness then switched to the VERY fast Conquest travelling at incredibly hihg speed.

In 9.0 I use a Shade as my flagship. I am still doing testing, but from what I gather Conquest no longer has a niche and gets out shinned by other capitals for virtually any playstyle.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:36:36 PM by From a Faster Time »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 12:36:05 PM »

but from what I gather Conquest no longer has a niche and gets out shinned by other capitals for virtually any playstyle.
Not really. Conquest is a bit slower than Odyssey, but it's stronger than it. Due to a combination of ballistic mounts and high flux dissipation it's the ship with the best offensive potential in the game, even if it doesn't have the alpha strike of a quadruple tachyon lance paragon.

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 12:51:55 PM »

Not really. Conquest is a bit slower than Odyssey, but it's stronger than it. Due to a combination of ballistic mounts and high flux dissipation it's the ship with the best offensive potential in the game, even if it doesn't have the alpha strike of a quadruple tachyon lance paragon.
That's.... putting it very lightly.

but it's stronger than it.
Only if you want to fight with both sides of the Conquest at the same time.
But then, considering the ship has the smallest shield with the worst flux/damage ratio and meh armor, you really want it to be surrounded from both sides?
Secondly it can't actually maintain the flux dissipation for both sides firing for any reasonable amount of time.
Lastly, it got better flux capacity and dissipation but it's offset with literally smallest and shittiest shield, so it's not like the extra capacity and dissipation is free.
In all other times, Oddysey has similar firepower and some would argue better weapons, if you are in any range to get hit and you want to use shields, oddysey is far better as both the size of the shield is bigger and the flux/damage is better.
Onslaught has better/more firepower for a single target(single side) while having good armor.
Paragon has better single target fire power as well with longer range, better shields.

In reality Conquest is a lovable meme that just falls flat when you compare it to other capitals. It's supposed to be a agile glass cannon, but the Odyssey does it better. It has terrible shields so it needs to outrange and kite, but Paragon has best range and more firepower, with a better shield to boot.
Ironically, unlike Onslaught that greatly would benefit from maneuvering thrusters helping it have a good turn rate and compensate for it's weakness and thus be a boon. The Conquest uses manuvering thrusters just to offset it's lack luster. I could go on and in actual detail, but really who cares.  
As somebody else put it, Conquest is the most common capital ship thanks for Persean and Sindra, so in essence, Conquest is the "pirate faction" of capital ships, the rundown ship you are supposed to bully through out the game.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 01:01:38 PM by From a Faster Time »

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 01:44:10 PM »

but from what I gather Conquest no longer has a niche and gets out shinned by other capitals for virtually any playstyle.

I find the Odyssey many times stronger than the Conquest. The conquest has ballistic slots and well... ballistic slots aren’t as good as energy slots. Mjolnir is your best option but they’re just plain inferior to Plasma Cannons. And the raw shield advantage the Odyssey has makes it much better in a brawl even if the Conquest is using Mark IX.

On top of this the burn drive is much more maneuverability and raw speed which makes the Odyssey a lot safer. In a straight up fight the odyssey should win every time.

As an example if the Conquest has 2 Mark IV it’s doing ~1200 DPS to Shields... the Odyssey with 2 Plasma Cannons will be doing 1500.

The only way the conquest matches is if it’s got extra kinetic damage in the medium slots or it’s running a storm needler. The Odyssey also has more medium missile slots for better sabot burst (and they’re on turrets if you want torpedo finishers)

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 01:44:56 PM »

In reality Conquest is a lovable meme that just falls flat when you compare it to other capitals.

Sadly I agree. There's no logical reason for using it, the shield is garbage, and it gets obliterated by the big boys Onslaught and Paragon. The AI admittedly doesn't do it justice since it just "sits" there waiting to be destroyed, but even piloted by a player it isn't worth much.

As for my personal favourite, like I've said here many times: The Onslaught. Outfit with flak all around it, and you're immune to fighters and missiles and can just ram into everything. So much armour that you don't care at all.

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »

I find the Odyssey many times stronger than the Conquest.
Indeed. I wonder if Alex will buff it so it has a niche again or leave it as the "pirate faction" of capital ships, since as mentioned, it neither has great firepower compared to other captials, neither is it the fastest, neither the tankiest, neither does it have longest range.

Just buff it's top speed so it lives up to it's theme and slap some more Large ballistic mounts Alex, it will be just like the good ol-days.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2018, 02:05:43 PM »

Indeed. I wonder if Alex will buff it so it has a niche again or leave it as the "pirate faction" of capital ships

I'd rather have actual pirate variants of capitals. Having a capital that's strictly inferior on purpose just seems wrong.

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2018, 02:07:05 PM »

Indeed. I wonder if Alex will buff it so it has a niche again or leave it as the "pirate faction" of capital ships

I'd rather have actual pirate variants of capitals. Having a capital that's strictly inferior on purpose just seems wrong.
BUFF ME!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6