Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Drover, Replacement Rate, & Bomber 'fast' Re-Launch  (Read 468 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Drover, Replacement Rate, & Bomber 'fast' Re-Launch
« on: March 31, 2021, 11:40:49 AM »

So it looks like the re-launch time for returning bombers is affected by your replacement rate, with the result that a Drover that's using its ship system will just perma-crash its replacement rate - reduced RR means you spend longer with your fighters re-arming, which further reduces RR, until the Drover just doesn't get fighters out at all except when it activates its ship system.

While the Drover's system definitely needed a nerf, the way this actually works out in play makes the drover basically non-functional past the first couple of bombing runs in a battle. Edit: And, critically, it means that a bomber-equipped Drover that never uses its ship system actually performs better than one that uses the system.

(Non-bomber-based Drover loadouts seem to work better - for those, the ship system's extra fighters act as a shield against losing replacement rate.)

I'd suggest either not having the replacement rate affect bomber re-launch times, or, alternatively, have bombers that are being re-armed still count as 'active' for purposes of RR decay, so you don't get cascade failure where slow re-arming times just cost you that much more replacement rate (leading to even slower re-arming times, etc.)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 11:42:56 AM by Wyvern »
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Drover, Replacement Rate, & Bomber 'fast' Re-Launch
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 11:53:27 AM »

I've noticed weirdness in bomber reload/rebuild times for many versions now, but have never been able to get it reproducible.

I think what is happening is: sometimes when 1 bomber is rebuilding, the others seem like they are "stuck" and can't re-arm until the first is rebuilt. In gameplay, this looks like the carrier sitting there with an entire bomber wing dead, then suddenly all 2 or three launch in very quick succession. Does this match what you are seeing at all?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 12:00:23 PM »

Hm... I don't think that's quite what I'm seeing? At least, I'm about 80% sure that the testing I did didn't involve (common) bomber losses - I just threw a basic random mission drover at a simulator hammerhead; it had a broadsword and a dagger wing.  If I kept the ship system off, I could pretty well keep RR up by recalling the broadswords between bomber runs, while if I used the ship system I got a cascade failure that cratered RR until/unless I just backed off for a while and did nothing to let RR recover.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2021, 12:06:05 PM »

Hmm, sounds like something completely different then!