Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Money should not be free  (Read 10440 times)

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Money should not be free
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2018, 12:47:21 PM »

#abolishReloading   The procGen exploration aspect of the game is more or less ruined by having save/load in the hands of the player. Make it like Nethack or something. But with an escape pod and a bank account so dying shouldn't be such a big deal.

For those that want it, there is already an option. Iron man mode.

Also, you do escape in a pod and keep your bank account when your last ship is destroyed, and are even given starter ships again.

I may have some experience with both.

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2018, 05:23:53 PM »

If you think exploration with a sneaky fleet that never fights anything is too trivializing then....don't do it? It's still very much possible to play the game the intended way, by working your way up to progressively bigger ships and fleets while mostly fighting and taking odd jobs and actually playing the game. And it's very much fun to do it.

Yes but currently the game is balanced around the exploration and skipping ASAP to the colony + cruiser + capital ships stage. In order to play the game the way its supposed to be played, I have to implement so many house rules for myself that its quite ridiculous.

For example, I for one would like to participate in bounties, but they are balanced to be equal to exploration so two named-bounties later I have already skipped past frigate play and prepared to buy my first cruiser.

Again, I would like to participate in smuggling missions, but again they are balanced so that their profitability is so huge that allows me to skip past the frigate game play entirely.

Even for something that is completely risk free and completely on-demand like trading heavy weapons, I can make money equal of 50% of my money stack PER TRIP to kapetyn starworks. And there's absolutely zero risk to an activity like this.

It used to be the case that all of the above activities were actually far less profitable. Now everything is amped up to 11 to match the profits of colonization and exploration. So to restrict myself and to make sure that the game is actually challenging, I have to prevent myself from playing colonization, playing trading, playing smuggling, playing bounties - that's already like 90% of the game that I used to be able to do because it was less profitable.

And that's not even mentioning the egregious decision of $15,000 per month.

ith

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2018, 11:57:04 PM »

Well, some people (like me) enjoy the early game, and the current rewards for exploration just trivialises it. If bypassing the frigate/destroyer stage and going straight for cruisers by doing exploration is the only sensible way to play, and you can do that risk-free in 45 minutes the same way every time, why have those 45 minutes of gameplay there at all? Why not have a greater variety of starting options and let people who want to have a drawn-out early game do that?
If you think exploration with a sneaky fleet that never fights anything is too trivializing then....don't do it? It's still very much possible to play the game the intended way, by working your way up to progressively bigger ships and fleets while mostly fighting and taking odd jobs and actually playing the game. And it's very much fun to do it.

I think running an exploration fleet that can choose its fights is an interesting way to play, though. It should be a legitimate playstyle and I don't want to see it removed. But I don't think it should be faster, easier and less risky than a combat-focused career while also being significantly more lucrative.

Rounin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2018, 12:20:33 AM »

Well, some people (like me) enjoy the early game, and the current rewards for exploration just trivialises it. If bypassing the frigate/destroyer stage and going straight for cruisers by doing exploration is the only sensible way to play, and you can do that risk-free in 45 minutes the same way every time, why have those 45 minutes of gameplay there at all? Why not have a greater variety of starting options and let people who want to have a drawn-out early game do that?

Thing is, no matter what you do, you're going to swim in money unless you pick fights stacked against you deliberately. Smuggling stuff (aka trading), bounties, surveys, missions - just do a few of them and you can buy the biggest ships on the market, limited only by availability. Finding weapons to equip your shiny new warships is the real difficulty currently.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2018, 05:01:37 AM »

What could help is if frigates and destroyers were viable in the endgame like they used to be during 0.65.  In fact, 0.65 had the opposite problem with forty frigate horde being the best (for bounty hunting) because they performed as well as a capital fleet except frigates had much higher burn speed (with Navigation 10) and much faster CR recovery (and repairs).  That version had Logistics, which meant you could support up to four capitals and little else, or you can use forty frigates and swarm everything.

Currently, I skip frigates almost immediately and destroyers soon after, usually because 1) peak performance is too short and 2) limited fleet slots if I need to haul logistics (stat-stick) ships and leave openings for recovered enemy ships, which means I need more bang for my fleet slot, which in turn means big ship.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 05:03:25 AM by Megas »
Pages: 1 2 [3]