Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: Colony Expeditions are Unfair and Unfun  (Read 47279 times)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Colony Expeditions are Unfair and Unfun
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2019, 10:13:55 AM »

I actually started my colony very late in my last game, and I think I will start it earlier in my next, but it worked well in terms of defense since I already had a capital ship and plenty of funds when I started it. I had enough to build all the defenses immediately and IIRC, the first raid got killed by remnant forces that I hadn't cleared out yet (funny, but maybe even a viable strategy?) I was also able to max growth the entire time and was  still able to get top tier defenses on line before faction raids started. I started on a 50 hazard world with farming and organics as the main income though so, that definitely effected how early the factions got angry. Having the income earlier would have been nice though, I was losing 40k per month in expenses when I finally founded the colony. I think timing the first colony with the end of the stipend (or at least the point where the stipend is ramping down and your expenses are going up) is probably the best course of action.

SolarWind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2019, 10:16:05 AM »

People, thank you very much for so helpful advices!
I found on one of the space stations, some kind of unemployed admin, without any skills.
I put him in control of the colony and canceled the free market. As a result, with such management, my planet dropped to the level of 16k monthly profit, 44% accessibility and 0.7% pop growth . Exports have become minimal. I hope that this does not cause the visit of the big evil guys again.
And I will travel freely and find useful things further. Thank you all for the helpful tips, I will try your hints.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2019, 11:00:16 AM »

In my 0.9.1a games, I started colonies early, around mid-game, just so I would not lose money per month for all of the personnel I bring along, and for a convenience place to store stuff.  (Abandoned stations are not convenient if I need to store too much, then come back and haul it off later.)  Long before I could handle expeditions of any kind.  Early colonies are feasible if you avoid attracting expeditions.

Colonies are also handy as a base to operate from when I explore further into the fringe, although by that time, I dedicate much time taking out pirates attacking core worlds.

SolarWind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2019, 06:30:10 AM »

I managed to colonize second planet in the same star system, and i decided temporarily turn on the Open Market on it, for population growth.
After a few months i got an Luddic Church expedition for it.
But my patrols won a battle with them without my intervention.
What is strange, it still lowered the relationship by 5 points.   

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2019, 06:44:38 AM »

Failed expeditions will always inflict -5 rep now.  Last release, you took the rep hit per battle if you fought personally, but not if your patrols do it for you.  Now, you take no rep hit for battling, only once after the expedition fails.

SolarWind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2019, 08:27:13 AM »

I do not know what the frequency of these expeditions will be in my system, but if I have good defenses and patrols, then I risk damaging my reputation, when i defeat them, and this will ruin interstellar trade with other factions. So, whether I interfere in a fight or not, I will lose my reputation if I win.
Probably i will use the third option: Sit quietly and poor with closed markets, do missions, accumulate funds and wait a very long time until the population grows.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 09:22:58 AM by SolarWind »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2019, 10:07:43 AM »

Let pirates raid a system belonging to a faction you want to raise rep with.  System bounty will likely be posted, then clean up the pirates to gain lots of rep (and some money) fast.

Once Free Port is on, expeditions are frequent, and rep will be nickel-and-dimed away if nothing else is done.  The easiest way to raise rep is system bounties.

SolarWind

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2019, 12:54:27 PM »

Let pirates raid a system belonging to a faction you want to raise rep with.  System bounty will likely be posted, then clean up the pirates to gain lots of rep (and some money) fast.

Once Free Port is on, expeditions are frequent, and rep will be nickel-and-dimed away if nothing else is done.  The easiest way to raise rep is system bounties.
Megas, thanks you for the good tip. It will help me! Previously, I have never performed missions to clean up systems from pirates, since the rewards were low: something like 1,400 cred per frigate.

RedHellion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »

Megas, thanks you for the good tip. It will help me! Previously, I have never performed missions to clean up systems from pirates, since the rewards were low: something like 1,400 cred per frigate.

If the system is actually getting raided and there are big enough pirate fleets, you can make some decent money from system bounties. 1400 per frigate may not sound like much, but that's also 2800 per destroyer, 5600 per cruiser, and 11200 per capital (assuming each size class simply scales the bounty by *2). If it's mid-late game and the pirates are active enough in the system or still had some raiding parties there, you can make a pretty easy 50k+ without having to spend the usual amount of fuel to leave the core systems for "personal" bounties.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2019, 01:56:38 PM »

I can attest to this - I was making a fuel run and saw a big pirate fleet about to attack a Hegemony station. Took it out for the supplies and to protect this convenient fuel depot, got a cool 85k as a bonus from the system bounty.

Its not a huge amount of money, and a lot less than what I could make from a named bounty of the same size, but I didn't have to do any travel for it at all, which was a big time and supply saver.

outdated

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2019, 01:58:49 PM »

If the system is actually getting raided and there are big enough pirate fleets, you can make some decent money from system bounties. 1400 per frigate may not sound like much, but that's also 2800 per destroyer, 5600 per cruiser, and 11200 per capital (assuming each size class simply scales the bounty by *2). If it's mid-late game and the pirates are active enough in the system or still had some raiding parties there, you can make a pretty easy 50k+ without having to spend the usual amount of fuel to leave the core systems for "personal" bounties.

I wouldn't call those 50k+ "easy", i would call them tedious. It's time consuming and isn't very fun, just like squishing an annoying mosquito that found it's way into your bedroom is just a pure annoyance.

A thing that bothers me is all those people saying "just build high command on every colony as early as possible".
That's just taking away one of my precious industry slots
There is no alternative besides tediously babysitting your colony 24/7
It strikingly contradicts the description of it, which talks about projecting power across the sector or something along those lines.

I think many problems could be solved if you had more control over your faction's fleet. Even something simple like adding a dialogue option to make your faction's fleet follow you, or making it possible to concentrate fleets from multiple systems in one place.

Also, it feels really illogical that core factions have resources to throw fleet after fleet at your system that's just a few LY away from the core, but can't be bothered to claim those ultrarich planets adjacent to the core for themselves. They can't deal with pirate bases that directly attack their worlds and disrupt production for the better part of a year, but continuously throwing resources at the player? Yes, please!

I see people claim that the sector is supposed to be falling apart, and maybe it's written in the lore, but from the game it surely doesn't feel like it. Planets don't change hands, factions start and end wars every few months and never suffer any consequences.

I'm not sure if my ramblings are making much sense, so here's the TLDR:
The player is the only moving part of the world and I can't help but feel like that's wrong.

RedHellion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2019, 02:09:40 PM »

I wouldn't call those 50k+ "easy", i would call them tedious. It's time consuming and isn't very fun, just like squishing an annoying mosquito that found it's way into your bedroom is just a pure annoyance.

My point was that, if you're already in the area it's an easy way to make money. You can obviously make more doing the named personal bounties, and it's obviously not as fun as going out and doing something more challenging (and thus more fun) like taking on [REDACTED] or stations or multi-cap-ship bounties, but system bounties are conveniently located inside civilized space and can actually provide a decent amount of credits beyond what the "1400 per frigate" may suggest.

I wasn't implying that the player should ignore named personal bounties and just fly around doing system bounties, auto-resolving against every 6-frigate pirate fleet in the system. Although, as Megas pointed out, that is a good way to raise rep with a faction since you get a rep bonus for every ship/fleet destroyed to go with the per-ship bounty (and you get the rep bonus even if the bounty-placing faction is too hostile to pay you bounty money).
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:11:51 PM by RedHellion »

outdated

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2019, 02:42:10 PM »

I wasn't implying that the player should ignore named personal bounties and just fly around doing system bounties, auto-resolving against every 6-frigate pirate fleet in the system.
The context seemed to imply like that's the solution to the reputation hit from expeditions.

Anyways, the point is that it feels like many on this forum seem to view colonies as after-game thing. Basically a "send endless waves of enemies at me" button. Which it pretty much is, currently, and I don't find that to be particularly enjoyable, especially since I don't view combat as the main attraction.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2019, 03:03:43 PM »

The context seemed to imply like that's the solution to the reputation hit from expeditions.
That is the easiest solution.  Never said it was great or fun.  It beats getting +3 rep from personal bounty, or +5 or so rep from doing an exploration mission.  This is, if you need to build up a bunch of rep fast so that you have a buffer from the inevitable rep drops, system bounties are the way to go.  It can also generate a ton of money comparable to an endgame bounty if you can smash about a dozen or so fleets, although earning money that way is not the main goal.  Also, the systems patrols may be distracted and it may be a great opportunity to stealth raid their heavy industry world yourself for blueprints.  One time, I had almost zero rep with Diktat.  Then Askonia had a system bounty.  I rushed over there to kill pirates near Umbra.  On the way to Umbra, I raided Sindria for a blueprint when I noticed patrols were away.  After sweeping up pirates at Umbra, I went back to Sindria to raid it again for another blueprint.  After I left, I had about 50 rep, lots of money, and two more rare blueprints.

Anyways, the point is that it feels like many on this forum seem to view colonies as after-game thing. Basically a "send endless waves of enemies at me" button. Which it pretty much is, currently, and I don't find that to be particularly enjoyable, especially since I don't view combat as the main attraction.
I can understand that.  It really gets bad once Free Port gets turned on, and it piles on top of the endless pirate raid spam core worlds are helpless against.  By the time I am powerful enough to properly defend a colony from major factions' expeditions which can be as powerful as 350k+ bounties (i.e., multi-capital spam), I have effectively won the game.  It does not take much to attract expeditions.

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2019, 03:33:06 PM »

I can attest to this - I was making a fuel run and saw a big pirate fleet about to attack a Hegemony station. Took it out for the supplies and to protect this convenient fuel depot, got a cool 85k as a bonus from the system bounty.

Its not a huge amount of money, and a lot less than what I could make from a named bounty of the same size, but I didn't have to do any travel for it at all, which was a big time and supply saver.
I feel one of the odd issues with all this, although it makes sense, is you've really got to annihilate the fleet or else repair costs can eat into you hard.  You still get some rep i guess and it's fun to fight pirate fleets, but I was farming bounties early and barely breaking even just because I couldn't quite slaughter them.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10