Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tracking down Luddic Path cells and Pirate bases?  (Read 15833 times)

DaLagga

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Tracking down Luddic Path cells and Pirate bases?
« on: November 22, 2018, 06:39:01 AM »

So my colonies are constantly being hit by these guys and it's hurting my stability and income.  But how do I track down their home base to stop the sabotage?  I once found the location of a pirate base by talking to someone at the bar but don't see that option anymore.  A couple of other times it just told me the location of the Luddic Path base but I can't seem to find them this time. 

On a side note, I really hope a patch alleviates the headache of having to constantly baby your colonies because all the defenses in the world don't seem to stop sabotage and having to run around killing enemy space stations constantly is getting a little tiring.  I guess that Preston Garvey was Alex's favorite character in Fallout 4. 

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tracking down Luddic Path cells and Pirate bases?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 06:42:46 AM »

Luddic path bases got insane range for sabotage - like half-sector+. I cant find second one after first was destroyed for almost a year and penalty from sabotage is cumulative - this is one badly designed feature as time wasted for searching the base is booring.
Close enough?

Closest to Luddic Path base other factions planets got zero penalties -this base only target me for some reason.
Pirate base location can be received then pirate sit at the bar in affected colony.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:11:42 AM by Vind »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 07:12:13 AM »

For pirates, visit bars occasionally (even those in colonies you own) and talk to people you find there (the ones that wallow in their sorrows).  Sometimes, one of them will reveal a pirate base.

Pather cells are scourge as others like Vind said.  They are hard to find, and you cannot ignore them.  A disruption that ignores your defenses can really ruin your day.

DaLagga

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 07:38:08 AM »

So how exactly do you find Luddic Path bases then?  Just fly around the whole galaxy every time they start harassing you?  I have 3 colonies and they are hitting each of them.  I destroyed one of their bases a while back and it only gave me about a 1 year break, then they started harassing me again.  Seems like your only options are to spend all day seeking them out or just ignore them and swallow the penalties.  This needs fixing badly. 

fededevi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 07:54:16 AM »

Someone on reddit had the same problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starsector/comments/9yqbzt/any_good_way_to_find_the_luddic_path_bases_that/

There is a workaround and it involves using another bug:

Funnily enough planet listing in intel shows all hidden pirate/pather bases. It's probably the closest one.
But other than that there is no 'proper' way to find them yet.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 06:49:50 PM »

There is a workaround and it involves using another bug:
Funnily enough planet listing in intel shows all hidden pirate/pather bases. It's probably the closest one.
But other than that there is no 'proper' way to find them yet.
I stumbled on this by accident while exploring a system for more colonies to set up.  One was threatening my first colony, I went to my second colony to start exploring the neighborhood, and I found the pather base in an unexplored system next to my second colony via intel.

My second colony is just a 100% terran eccentric setup as a waystation hub.

ErKeL

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 09:07:49 PM »

Seems like a fair bit of luck but sometimes you'll be cruising by a system that looks like it's getting a fair bit of traffic like it would if it were a core world. I've popped a few pirate and ludd bases after noticing a heap of them coming and going from systems.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 09:14:09 PM »

There's a few angles you could try if you want to play legit. ;)

Sit outside your colony in hyperspace and watch what fleets arrive from where. Look for smugglers that field (LP) ships. The last one I found, I was given no point of origin and no cargo manifest either, which is a bit suspicious. I love that this is in the game, btw. Anyway, see what direction these fleets are coming from. And if you explore yourself, pirate and LP bases will often be given away by a respective fleet hanging around hyperspace close by. Similarly, it's possible that these fleets who have come to raid your system will eventually return to base. I haven't seen this happen myself yet.

Nice hack with the planet list, haha. Hadn't thought of that.

tchan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2018, 10:43:21 PM »

Thanks for the tip of observing the traffic.  I parked my huge armada and went with a kite and dram, both with augmented drive field and insulated engines, to sneak around and probably follow smugglers from my planets that have active pather cells. 

Before I get to find any smugglers, I was in hyperspace and saw this huugee pather patrol, just circling a star system about 1/3 the total sector length away from my colonies.  Immediately went dark, waited for my chance to go in the jump-point, and dove in.  Snuck around some more and found the pather base that was supplying half of the active cells on my bases. 

Now, I wish I can tell my colonies to send a strike force to kill the base.  (is there a way??)  But for now, I gotta sneak back all the way to get my ships and personally attack it. 

[edit] Ok still can't find the 2nd pather base.  The colonies that are infested with pather active cells aren't sending any smuggler ships or attack ships to my area for a few months.  I've been monitoring all incoming and outgoing traffic with the shift key held.  The local bars don't give any information.  This is frustrating :|
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 02:11:13 AM by tchan »