Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Complete control over AI  (Read 2546 times)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Complete control over AI
« on: March 04, 2012, 09:03:22 AM »

Y'know, a Strike frigate is only a strike frigate when used as a strike frigate.

I know we have rally points for specific groups but really, right now straight from refit or fleet I want to be able to tell the crew of that ship how I want them to generally behave. So, a button that says 'strike' 'support' 'assault' etc.

This probably is in the works though :/
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Complete control over AI
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 01:09:25 PM »

i think currently the AI takes into account the weapon types you have on a ship to determine what its role is.

so if you load out a ship with a lot of PD weapons its going to relegate it to PD missions. if you load a ship with predominately strike weapons its going to take strike missions etc.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Zuriki

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 04:46:42 PM »

It also takes into account speed when choosing interceptions, the fastest ship is assigned to the interception first.

Generally I agree with the suggestion as a whole though, because I've ended up with situations where my fastest ship was sent on an intercept course for a ship it would never catch, yet other nearby ships should have taken priority. A judgement call that a computer COULD make, but is probably better made by a human who has a grand scheme in mind.

Also, tweak the awful interception pathing, which is currently a linear path to the target, rather than aiming infront of the target.

powerbonger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 05:23:40 PM »

This sounds like a workable concept :) I believe that at the moment, the "ship variants" function only covers weapon loadouts. Perhaps in the future, the AI behavior of the ships will be somehow linked to that as well. We might also have AI officers with different personalities as captains of the ship, and the veterancy of her crew, to take into consideration.

i think currently the AI takes into account the weapon types you have on a ship to determine what its role is.

While I can see the utility of that arrangement, an alternative to what you suggested would be what I described above - the ship variant will dictate the behavior regardless of what changes you make to its weapon loadouts. Like, if a strike frigate is loaded with PD weapons, its still gonna go behaving like a strike frigate regardless. Could make for some funny/awesome/interesting combinations.  :)

Also, tweak the awful interception pathing, which is currently a linear path to the target, rather than aiming infront of the target.

I'm hoping that more veteran or elite crews will be better at pathfinding like what you described, compared to greenhorns who might just go for a straight line. It'll elevate the importance of well-trained crew too :)

factotum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 11:56:39 PM »

Can't you already do this? You can order a ship to directly carry out any of the assignments you've already set up, at any rate.