Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 468425 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #510 on: November 16, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »

* Inconsistent bonus stacking.
For example, Planetary Operations has +25% at level 1, and +25% at level 2.  Meanwhile, Salvaging has +15% at level 1, +30% at 2, and +50% at 3.  If Planetary Operations stack to 50%, does that mean Salvaging stack to 95% at level 3?  If Planetary Operations stack, but Salvaging does not, that is confusing UI.

Ahh, good call, made a note. Missed this somehow. PO is indeed 25+25 while Salvaging is a total of 50%.

Originem

• Purple Principle
  • Captain
  • Dancing like a boss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 16, 2018, 12:17:08 PM »

I'm not sure I understand this part - it seems like doing what you're describing would work.
Sorry for could not decribe it correctly...We do best not to translate anything in settings.json, so could you give them a structure like
"Midline":{
  "name":"Midline",
  "color":[221,201,104,255],
}
My mods

NaavT

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 16, 2018, 12:33:55 PM »

Hmm - that seems unlikely, though I guess it's possible. Are you 100% sure you cleaned out the old install? If you have an old vmparams file, that could likely cause this problem. Maybe trying to install in a different folder entirely is worth a shot?

Old versions are removed, saves are placed in archives.
I even installed on another HDD. Still, this error appears. More options? Excluding OS reinstallation
Another Russian guy.
My messages are translated into English using "Google Translate".

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 16, 2018, 12:43:21 PM »

A CLASSPATH variable in your environment is about the only thing that comes to mind at this point, hmm. If you have that, removing it should make it work. That is, it still seems like the game is running with the wrong version of xstream (the save/load library) somehow, not the one it actually comes with.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 16, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »

Sorry for could not decribe it correctly...We do best not to translate anything in settings.json, so could you give them a structure like
"Midline":{
  "name":"Midline",
  "color":[221,201,104,255],
}

Right, I see what you mean. That'd mean extracting it to another file, though; for this particular case, is there a reason not to translate it in settings.json? I do understand that this is messy/inelegant, though; was just doing it quickly.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 16, 2018, 01:08:09 PM »

Can we no longer set a course from the Intel screen?

Originem

• Purple Principle
  • Captain
  • Dancing like a boss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 16, 2018, 01:09:01 PM »

Right, I see what you mean. That'd mean extracting it to another file, though; for this particular case, is there a reason not to translate it in settings.json? I do understand that this is messy/inelegant, though; was just doing it quickly.
Well, just to sure there won't be any unpredictable things...Let "id" become "name" is a very bad idea anyway, and chinese characters should not be the key in most cases.
My mods

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 16, 2018, 01:09:39 PM »

You can right-click to set course. Just be careful not to drag when you do since, right-click-drag pans the map.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 16, 2018, 01:10:56 PM »

Well, just to sure there won't be any unpredictable things...Let "id" become "name" is a very bad idea anyway, and chinese characters should not be the key in most cases.

I agree with you. I also think it should work with chinese characters in the key - but maybe I'll be able to get around to changing for the 0.9.1 release, we'll see. Depends on how crazy things get!

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 16, 2018, 01:13:17 PM »

No crashes here.

Some quick impressions after finishing the tutorial.

The new portraits are great. Love the old chinese guy, the lady in the shawl and the black helmeted dude in particular.
The new weapon stats tooltip is a big improvement.
I like the bar events much better than the mission listing.
The pirate falcon paintjob is wicked.

After looking through the weapons:
Light Needler is now a trap choice. It has same range as Railgun, does less damage, less single-shot damage and costs 2 more. One perfect acc. slug vs 15 medium acc. shots. What was the reasoning here?
With Heavy Needler being the expensive anti-shield option for medium slots now (and many small projectiles being bad at everything else), Light Needler could at least retain more DPS with appropriate flux costs.
Heavy Mauler will probably still be okay because there's no other sniping platform in the medium slot.
Plasma Cannon looks like a serious customer. All ships that can mount these just got an upgrade.

Will return after I'm a captain of industry. ;D

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 16, 2018, 01:19:47 PM »

Wow! We can do colony on sun!
Spoiler
[close]
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 16, 2018, 01:22:35 PM »

Light Needler is now a trap choice. It has same range as Railgun, does less damage, less single-shot damage and costs 2 more. One perfect acc. slug vs 15 medium acc. shots. What was the reasoning here?

(Thank you for all the positive comments!)

The LN could possibly use a lower cost, but: burst damage has value. Not all ships can stay within range and deliver sustained firepower over time with a railgun; there's more safety in darting in and out. Plus, tactically, a burst of kinetic damage can simply be more useful than sustained kinetic damage, especially as it gives the enemy less of a chance to adjust.

Phase ships also benefit more from weapons that can reload while phased, though that's not a major consideration here.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 16, 2018, 01:23:53 PM »

With Heavy Needler being the expensive anti-shield option for medium slots now (and many small projectiles being bad at everything else), Light Needler could at least retain more DPS with appropriate flux costs.
Heavy Mauler will probably still be okay because there's no other sniping platform in the medium slot.
Plasma Cannon looks like a serious customer. All ships that can mount these just got an upgrade.

Will return after I'm a captain of industry. ;D

Light Needler also has less flux efficiency than Railgun, another strike against it.
My issue with the new Plasma Cannon is that it's just a more rapid-firing Heavy Blaster. I feel it should have more shot damage and nerf the fire rate: or better yet, remove the forced 3-shot.

RE: darting in and out with Light Needler: the problem is unless the target is being threatened by something else (in which case you probably don't need to dart in-and-out for safety) then your target can simply vent away your burst, and you're not in range to take full advantage of it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 01:27:01 PM by Embolism »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 16, 2018, 01:25:45 PM »

Wow! We can do colony on sun!
Spoiler
[close]

That's... awesome! Made a note; looks like it affects binaries/trinaries.

(Sorely tempted to make an "it'll be fine, we'll just go colonize it at night" joke.)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 16, 2018, 01:27:13 PM »

My issue with the new Plasma Cannon is that it's just a more rapid-firing Heavy Blaster. I feel it should have more shot damage and nerf the fire rate: or better yet, remove the forced 3-shot.

If it does more per-shot damage, it steps on HIL's toes. Was aiming to have reasonable differentiation for the various large energy weapons; Plasma Cannon is the "general purpose, not great at any one aspect" option.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 87