Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 87

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 472149 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #990 on: November 24, 2018, 08:47:06 AM »

Light industry is a major money maker on free port planets. Drugs are profitable.
Yep, Light industry without free port = doing it wrong.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: November 24, 2018, 08:50:56 AM »

I complained about LI and HI in my thread in suggestion section too. The issue with LI, specifically, is that nobody actually wants consumer and luxury goods. These markets are very small, only 60k or so each, which isn't that much far off from LI's upkeep on 125% world is. The best, and sometimes only, way to make money with it is to enable free port, mainly because drugs market is 3 times as big as both kinds of goods combined.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: November 24, 2018, 09:03:11 AM »

Similarly, if faction name and stuff can be changed later, I have not found the settings to do that.
If this hasn't been answered yet, open up the colony management screen, go into a colony, and click your faction name in the top-left corner.  Should bring up the same screen when you first created your flag, name, etc.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: November 24, 2018, 09:18:29 AM »

Do colonies ever have the ability to expand their building slots, or are they limited to 11 forever?
I kinda want to build the thing I found on the red planet, but I can't justify giving up any of the existing buildings for it.
(I would really like some way to use this thing on an 'enemy' planet from the outside, so I can go full Heirarchy.)

Changing the player faction details was something that took a bit of trial and error to find - clicking on the faction name in the command screen.

Is there any way of seeing/changing the setting for what happens to the output of Tech Mines?
For instance, can I set where I want all the stuff delivered?
Can I set it to just stockpile at the local colony, so there is always some fuel/supplies there?

Is there any way of de-prioritising or forbidding ships and weapons in the colony fleet setup?
I would really like to stop my guys building pirate clunkers now I have actual proper blueprints for them to use.

Is there any way of having my patrols to claim nav buoys etc?
Or some exception that claiming structures in a system you own and are uncontested in doesn't instantly throw your rep in the dirt?
Some numpty salvage fleet filled all 3 stable locations in my system with sensor arrays.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: November 24, 2018, 09:24:41 AM »

Do colonies ever have the ability to expand their building slots, or are they limited to 11 forever?
They can't be expanded.
Is there any way of seeing/changing the setting for what happens to the output of Tech Mines?
For instance, can I set where I want all the stuff delivered?
Can I set it to just stockpile at the local colony, so there is always some fuel/supplies there?
Monthly production report. You get it together with a financial report.
Findings are sent to the colony selected here, along with custom production:
Spoiler
[close]
Is there any way of de-prioritising or forbidding ships and weapons in the colony fleet setup?
You can prioritise everything else.
Is there any way of having my patrols to claim nav buoys etc?
Or some exception that claiming structures in a system you own and are uncontested in doesn't instantly throw your rep in the dirt?
Some numpty salvage fleet filled all 3 stable locations in my system with sensor arrays.
Your faction's patrols should automatically claim space infrastructure from enemies. Otherwise, you're in a tough spot. I think I read somewhere that scrapping them doesn't nuke your reputation, but don't quote me on that.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: November 24, 2018, 09:24:54 AM »

@ The Soldier:  Thanks.  Faction renaming is more obscure than drop-off location.  I wish I could do the same for my character.  Named my character Doom in honor of Doom's Doomguy.  Now I want to rename him to Dark Helmet or something else silly.

Eleven more industries is the limit.  I need to replace Tech Mines with Heavy Batteries for my first colony soon.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: November 24, 2018, 09:30:40 AM »

I need to replace Tech Mines with Heavy Batteries for my first colony soon.
Not sure if that's too good of a move - while Tech-Mines don't give the player much after a while, they still supply the colony with an absolutely bonkers about of Metal, Heavy Machinery, Supplies, and Fuel, for virtually no cost.  Tech-Mines almost feel too good at the moment.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: November 24, 2018, 09:33:36 AM »

Not sure if that's too good of a move - while Tech-Mines don't give the player much after a while, they still supply the colony with an absolutely bonkers about of Metal, Heavy Machinery, Supplies, and Fuel, for virtually no cost.  Tech-Mines almost feel too good at the moment.

Tech mines are obsolete for colonies with Heavy Industries + Fuel production + Refining. Otherwise leaving Tech-Mines can be fine - they don't produce much, but they don't cost much upkeep either.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: November 24, 2018, 09:34:55 AM »

Tech Mines do not scale with colony size.  They are great when colony size is small (provided you can defeat expeditions) or missing resources it can produce, but every other industry in my size 7 colony outproduces everything the Tech Mines can, and I have nearly sucked them dry of items.

Tech Mines are the warriors while other industries are wizards, in the "linear warriors and quadratic wizards" trope.

My colony has run out of industry slots, and lacks Heavy Batteries.  I want to drop the mines for batteries soon.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: November 24, 2018, 09:43:30 AM »

Monthly production report. You get it together with a financial report.
Findings are sent to the colony selected here, along with custom production:
Spoiler
[close]
Neat. Thanks.
Is there any way to not have things move around on thier own, so it creates little stockpiles in-situ?

You can prioritise everything else.
A bit.... Convoluted.
Needs some way of doing this directly.

Your faction's patrols should automatically claim space infrastructure from enemies. Otherwise, you're in a tough spot. I think I read somewhere that scrapping them doesn't nuke your reputation, but don't quote me on that.
The patrols seems to be quite happy to ignore them.
And breaking them for parts triggers the same "you are now at war with these guys, lol" outcome. I checked.

Also, why does intercepting Pather terrorist supply fleets result in -rep with the indpendants?
If these idiots are stupid enough to carry terror supplies to my colony in easily identifiable ships, why am I getting punished for being observant?
It even says in the encounter text box "this fleet is working in a legal grey area".

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: November 24, 2018, 09:47:55 AM »

I have no idea if this has been mentioned before or not, but I'll bring it up anyways. I colonized a star system with a couple of black holes in it; one near the yellow primary star, and one way off on the fringes. The first one is relatively close to the inner jump point. The AI doesn't seem to be capable of avoiding it. Multiple times I have flown past it to find 2-3 fleets just sitting in there, desperately attempting to escape. Sometimes it is pirates, and other times it is ships from my faction (or friendly traders). I know that fleets can avoid things (namely other fleets). Would it be possible to register the event horizon of a black hole as an infinity size hostile fleet? That way fleets would avoid it at all costs. (I have no idea how viable this idea is   :D.)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 24, 2018, 09:53:18 AM »

The patrols seems to be quite happy to ignore them.
And breaking them for parts triggers the same "you are now at war with these guys, lol" outcome. I checked.
I think patrol ignores relays if the faction owning it is normally not hostile.

Was the relay you smashed a Domain one?  Smashing a makeshift relay is only -5 rep.  I think smashing a Domain one will put you straight to hostile like a takeover does, not to mention Domain relays cannot be built.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 24, 2018, 09:58:14 AM »

Yep, Light industry without free port = doing it wrong.
considering LI is the one that supposedly produces most of the basic necessities for the entire population of the sector, besides food and supplies, i'd say there's a problem with it being only worthwhile for drugs, at the very least on a conceptual level. :P

even with drugs though, it still has lower profit than HI, despite HI playing a uniquely necessary role in colony building that has nothing to do (in gameplay terms) with its monetary profits. i'm not saying HI should be the benchmark for all industry profits, quite the contrary, but even with assuming that LI is only ever supposed to be built to export drugs, the numbers are still off. not to mention that LI being decent in normal ports and really profitable in freeports would be preferable to it being decent in freeports and completely useless in normal ones, imo.

drugs could also just be moved to something else as well, if LI producing supplies would make it too profitable compared to everything else. Farming would make sense, i think, depending on what exactly these drugs are made from.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 24, 2018, 10:01:53 AM »

With current implementation of industries, maybe Light Industries can be renamed to Meth Lab.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: November 24, 2018, 10:05:34 AM »

The reason HI is so good is because it taps into 4 fairly big markets at once, can be upgraded in two ways (Orbital Works, nanoforges), and finally there's not much competition. And the "upgrades fleets and allows custom production" part.
Also, Independent have no HI, so they get -25% ship quality modifiers, but it appears to affect only Independent fleets spawned on Independent worlds. Fleets orbiting my capital are as pristine as my fleets.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 87