Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weabon ranges... in space!  (Read 4502 times)

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
Weabon ranges... in space!
« on: January 24, 2012, 07:47:15 AM »

So... would it be lot of work to remove weabon ranges all together... (everything travels till it hits something or runs out of map)  :o
and would it break the AI  :D

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Weabon ranges... in space!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:24:50 AM »

It would probably increse the CPU load since it will have to follow every single projectile until it leaves the map. Kinda like how Sword of the Stars did it, and modding the time the prjectiles will keep existing dramatically decreased the FPS.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »

Not to mention getting murdered by HILs from across the map ...

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 12:21:17 PM »

not saying it would be balanced just saying it would be worth of experiment if it there isnt lot of work in it  ;D

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »

Arguable...  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:28:09 PM »

It is actually really easy ... all the ranges are stored in the weapon_data.csv file located in the data/weapon/. folder (or some such).

Just up them all to >9000, and see what happens  ???

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:40:29 PM »

I'm rezing this thread as it still somewhat applies. In response to mendonca, I raised the ranges of ballistic weapons to the 9000 range for my mod. I noticed however, that the rounds don't go any further than the previous range for some reason. In short, I had to resort to modifying the annihilator missiles to act as a ballistic shell. Has anyone else come to this problem?

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 06:46:49 PM »

I'm rezing this thread as it still somewhat applies. In response to mendonca, I raised the ranges of ballistic weapons to the 9000 range for my mod. I noticed however, that the rounds don't go any further than the previous range for some reason. In short, I had to resort to modifying the annihilator missiles to act as a ballistic shell. Has anyone else come to this problem?

yeah i tried the same thing (modifying weapon range) a while back and the same thing happened to me.

edit: just wanted to note if you do this the same problem that you have with the tachyon-lance will happen due to the inefficiencies of the current render system for the weapon arcs. However if you turn off weapon arcs for your ship it wont cause problems (aiming though is another story (AI might be able to handle))
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:49:22 PM by intothewildblueyonder »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 07:54:09 PM »

yeah i tried the same thing (modifying weapon range) a while back and the same thing happened to me.

This is sort of evil. If multiple weapons use the same projectile spec (or missile spec), then the LAST one's stats will apply. So if you use the same projectile spec for multiple weapons, make sure they all have the same range, damage, movement speed, and hitpoints - these are properties of the projectile, not the gun. The fire rate and accuracy are properties of the gun and can vary.

I should fix this up, actually.

intothewildblueyonder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 08:42:17 PM »

This is sort of evil. If multiple weapons use the same projectile spec (or missile spec), then the LAST one's stats will apply. So if you use the same projectile spec for multiple weapons, make sure they all have the same range, damage, movement speed, and hitpoints - these are properties of the projectile, not the gun. The fire rate and accuracy are properties of the gun and can vary.

how do I know which is last?

maybe you shouldn't completely remove this until the weapon arc fix improvement feature is changed :)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 02:56:51 PM »

I see, thanks for the clarification.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 03:05:27 PM »

how do I know which is last?

It's the one whose stats get used :D

You don't really need to know which is last - the upshot of all this is that you shouldn't share projectile specs between weapons just now.

maybe you shouldn't completely remove this until the weapon arc fix improvement feature is changed :)

So, two wrongs do make a right!

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 04:32:47 PM »

I'd love to see some ballistic weapons with some high weapon ranges and big explosions like 40k weapon batterys, big barrage cannons that reach out and touch you but are no threat to fast moving ships unless they hang around for the impact/explosion.