Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Full Stop ability  (Read 3184 times)

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Full Stop ability
« on: January 31, 2018, 04:10:13 AM »

Especially in the early game where avoiding people and hiding in belts is a good thing, I'd really like to tell the fleet just to come to a full stop as quickly as possible, so I can benefit from the stationary modifiers.

An ability to do this (which cancels any current destination and has the fleet slow as much as it can, without that annoying over-correct wobble that clicking usually has) would be really useful and seems quite simple.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Full Stop ability
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 07:47:33 AM »

Right-clicking a destination on the map view brings you to a full stop at that destination, IIRC. 

That feature isn't explained well, unfortunately (I think that, "left-click to go to a interactive object, right-click to go anywhere on the map" might need to be in that UI context).
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 03:50:01 PM »

He doesnt want the ability to full stop at a destination he wants the ability to full stop “right where I am right now” rather than clicking somewhere and hoping he stops reasonably fast and doesn’t wobble away there.

I also want this feature

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 08:21:25 PM »

That would kind of get rid of the whole, "momentum is a thing" which is fairly important for chasing down fleets, though.
Xeno's Mod Pack

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 11:26:42 PM »

I mean, no? It’s not a button that stops you instantly it’s a button that tells your fleet to stop as fast as possible. A straight “decelerate” key except for the system/sector map.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 05:51:43 AM »

i'd like this as well. as Goumindong says, it's not about instantly cancelling all momentum of your fleet, but about telling your fleet to immediately decelerate and come to a full stop asap at its current position, rather than having to instead give it a movement order to a nearby position.

i don't think it should an "ability" though, in the vein of Emergency Burn. since it's a simple command, allowing to just set a hotkey for it in the controls settings would be better.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 01:07:34 PM »

Ah, that makes sense.  Maybe put that on middle-mouse?
Xeno's Mod Pack

JadedTarget

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 10:19:59 PM »

When I first saw this post, I remembered that S will cancel an auto-pilot order to a destination.  I only now thought about testing this because I didn't think it worked all the time. 

But it works at anytime on the overworld map.  Just tap the S key and your fleet will cancel their order and come to a stop.  :D

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 12:13:39 AM »

Oh, so it's already in the game?  Nice; I hadn't ever bothered looking for this feature, lol!
Xeno's Mod Pack

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 07:56:33 AM »

But it works at anytime on the overworld map.  Just tap the S key and your fleet will cancel their order and come to a stop.  :D
welcome to the forum. ^^

this "works at anytime" only while you actually have an autopilot course set from the map. it does nothing while you're traveling by holding the mouse button in the main campaign view. that includes manually maneuvering (to avoid obstacles or enemy fleets, or to go in a search pattern around an unexplored system) while having autopilot set but disabled.

since it's often useful to have autopilot set but disabled to have the arrows to my main destination show even while i'm maneuvering manually, that is quite often the case for me. and setting a new autopilot course on the map and then immediately cancelling it to get the stop effect, aside from obviously being much less convenient than just pressing one button, is not always a good option for that same reason.

in short, i don't always have autopilot on, and i often don't want to cancel my current autopilot when i want my fleet to stop at its current position. so unfortunately, no, that is not a solution.

FreedomFighter

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 09:08:18 AM »

I just hit "Go Dark" and click a pixel away in front of my fleet.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 09:39:35 AM »

Workaround then would be to hit S twice when you have an order set but are not following it. The initial will tell your fleet to go to the point and the follow up will stop it

JadedTarget

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 05:07:19 PM »

I see Sy, I hadn't thought of the obvious "this is totally why it's a thing in the first place" there.