Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 48

Author Topic: [0.97a] Hazard Mining Incorporated (Thumper Ed., 0.3.7b)  (Read 649527 times)

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Hazard Mining Incorporated (Debloatening? Ed., 0.3.6a)
« Reply #630 on: August 19, 2023, 10:13:29 AM »

Read the weapon's description. The projectiles can be shot down. This is achieved by making the projectiles count as missiles.
I think it should state that it is counted as a missile weapon in the description then, I think it is misleading. I had no idea.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 19, 2023, 10:45:24 AM »

Read the weapon's description. The projectiles can be shot down. This is achieved by making the projectiles count as missiles.
I think it should state that it is counted as a missile weapon in the description then, I think it is misleading. I had no idea.
Read the weapon's description. It specifies that the projectiles can be shot down twice, once in the main description area, and once in the special weapon effect text right below the main stats.

If your complaint is just that the TMI mod is listing it as a "missile" weapon, well, there's a reason that mod's name is Too Much Information. It gives you a bunch of very particular low-level details, and in this case it's simultaneously correct (technically the launched projectile is of type 'missile') and flat-out wrong (the weapon is a ballistic-type weapon.) That clash doesn't represent a bug in HMI, it represents TMI giving you access to low-level information that you normally wouldn't have. It's not a bug in TMI, either, because this is what TMI does.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 20, 2023, 12:34:57 AM »

Read the weapon's description. It specifies that the projectiles can be shot down twice, once in the main description area, and once in the special weapon effect text right below the main stats.

If your complaint is just that the TMI mod is listing it as a "missile" weapon, well, there's a reason that mod's name is Too Much Information. It gives you a bunch of very particular low-level details, and in this case it's simultaneously correct (technically the launched projectile is of type 'missile') and flat-out wrong (the weapon is a ballistic-type weapon.) That clash doesn't represent a bug in HMI, it represents TMI giving you access to low-level information that you normally wouldn't have. It's not a bug in TMI, either, because this is what TMI does.

Oh thanks! Thanks for clearing that up for me. It matters to me because of modifiers at least now I know that ballistic modifiers count and don't have to now look at missile modifiers.

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 24, 2023, 02:06:26 AM »

Don't know if it's because of the new autofit algorithm, but remnants don't really seem to use their weapons outside of a few smalls (ir pulses, ion cannons, pd lasers). Played 10+ hours with fighting remnants a lot, and didn't even see a single large at all.

Wish they weren't removed from station loot tables.

SteelHeart

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 26, 2023, 12:56:35 PM »

Hey, does anyone know what makes the HMI commodities valuable? I know that redwater is wanted in places with drug shortages but I have never been able to turn a profit on nanite mass and quantum fluid.

Kadatherion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 09, 2023, 12:14:48 AM »

Hey, I took the chance on my first 0.96 run to finally give this mod (and IndEvo) a try, which was long overdue. I know both are considered staples of Starsector modding, but I've always been kind of scared away by the feeling there was just a bit too much in each mod for comfort. And, while I loved your content and by all means I believe I'm gonna keep (at least part of) it in future playthroughs too, I have to say I was kinda right: there is indeed still a fair bit of what I'd easily consider bloat.

What annoys me the most is weapons. The base HMI module alone adds more than 120 (!) weapons (granted, almost half of them are built in and/or not meant for the player), almost as much as what the entire vanilla game uses for about 10 factions. Problem with this is twofold: on one hand, some of the weaponry in the mod honestly adds very little gameplay/functionality variance - if at all - making it quite redundant, and on the other (which is not the mods fault but a vanilla one - yet we still have to consider the framework in which we are modding) we don't have any real sorting tool for weaponry, which is something that becomes a MAJOR headache in the mid to late game when you are using a few faction/content mods such as this, which leads to you having hundreds and hundreds of weapon types in storage.

An example of an obvious culprit for me is the remnant variants of vanilla weaponry: they are mostly just a slight improvement over the vanilla equivalent (maybe 100 more range, a bit more damage and/or some added EMP at the price of more flux and OP), but are pretty much identical in functionality, role and behavior (and pretty close in looks too). And there's like 25+ just of them. Honestly, at the end of the day... is it worth it? I really don't think so.
Something similar could be said about the proper HMI faction weapons roster too: it's a bit unneccessarily crowded too. Especially if you consider how the ships spritework is masterfully done to be vanilla friendly: there are many other faction mods out there that overdo it with weaponry, but at the very least they usually have the excuse they need a custom weapon for every role and every size if nothing else for looks, as their ships have a very unique style on which vanilla weapon sprites don't look good. It's still very annoying to manage (to the point I uninstalled a few of them I'd otherwise like), but there's a reason for it.

In my opinion, on the whole this could easily be trimmed down to something like a dozen weapons whitout really losing anything too important (well, other than all the work that went on them during these years, which of course has value in itself and is no trivial matter). Half a dozen uniques for the HMI proper, as they do obviously need some mining oriented equipment to carry the faction flavor (but sure as hell they don't need a mining themed weapon for each and every possible role and size, given vanilla weapons look - and feel - perfectly fine on their ships), and another half a dozen to spice up the techmining/remnant/mess content. That would be enough to have it covered, imo, with a more polished user experience overall.

Just give it a thought for future versions. In any case, other than this gripe of mine, I've had tons of fun in my playthrough with this, so thank you!

hermitgleaming

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: September 10, 2023, 07:20:15 AM »

HMI seems to throw a fatal crash during Sector generation in version 0.3.6b related to Domain Resurgent hullmods: Fatal: hullmod eagle_domres_hullmod not found.

Pastebin from the crash message can be found here: https://pastebin.com/6mQiVHih

Is this related to a mod conflict or HMI?

Seems like I made a mistake during mod install. A fresh install of all 3 mods resulted in no crash.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 07:28:20 AM by hermitgleaming »

Wet_Mushroom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 10, 2023, 12:50:27 PM »

I know the Fang Society already has a lot in their roster but I just love their design and how they play. Would the Eradicator and Retribution ships ever be touched by the grubby hands of the Fang?

Oni

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 10, 2023, 02:24:04 PM »

.... In my opinion, on the whole this could easily be trimmed down to something like a dozen weapons whitout really losing anything too important (well, other than all the work that went on them during these years, which of course has value in itself and is no trivial matter).....
Well if Alfonzo ever does decide to "trim the weapons list", they could always put the cut ones into a separate add-on optional weapons pack so the work doesn't go to waste.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 02:34:55 PM by Oni »

Kadatherion

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 10, 2023, 11:45:49 PM »

Well if Alfonzo ever does decide to "trim the weapons list", they could always put the cut ones into a separate add-on optional weapons pack so the work doesn't go to waste.

Sure, that would be the best of both worlds. Although I guess it could become a bit unwieldly to manage, given he'd also have to maintain two different sets of ship variants (to account for the different loadouts, one with the full complement of custom weaponry and the trimmed down one). It would be quite a bit of work. I'd definitely welcome that as a solution for every taste though!

Zr0Potential

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 11, 2023, 12:27:31 AM »

Sure, that would be the best of both worlds. Although I guess it could become a bit unwieldly to manage, given he'd also have to maintain two different sets of ship variants (to account for the different loadouts, one with the full complement of custom weaponry and the trimmed down one). It would be quite a bit of work. I'd definitely welcome that as a solution for every taste though!

Yeah, no offense but some of them like the Toother Autocannon is something I could live without compared to the others (again, no offense)

XM16E

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 14, 2023, 10:35:54 PM »

I have been getting a crash lately on a couple of fights in my latest HMI playthrough.  In particular a randomly generated FANG deserter bounty is consistently giving me this crash when I fight it, although I've seen it intermittently throughout my campaign.  It's possible that I updated something incorrectly, so I included a screenshot of my mods folder in case it's something on my end.

Your [hmi_canister_flak] is obviously missing.
A quick file search leads me to "hmi_canister_flak.wpn" in my "mods\HMI_Supervillains\data\weapons" directory.
if your "hmi_canister_flak.wpn" is not there, then delete HMI_Supervillains folder from your mod folder, redownload it, and reinstall the mod.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 10:37:35 PM by XM16E »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: October 19, 2023, 09:02:49 PM »

Getting another crash with HMI Supervillains used on its own: If you learn the fury_s blueprint, it will crash the game upon mouseover in your blueprints list.

Similarly, if you use console commands to add one to your fleet, then open the fleet screen, the game will immediately crash.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Argonautis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 25, 2023, 07:06:33 AM »

Is the update (0.306.b) from Discord safe to use in an savegame that I have 0.3.6a versions from here?
And btw why the split?

Maethendias

• Commander
  • Esteemed Warlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 06, 2023, 05:42:46 AM »

i dont know why, but my game lacks the remnant weapon versions, at least on bar forge events
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 12:19:30 AM by Maethendias »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 48