Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.51a (Released) - Live Patch Notes  (Read 236976 times)

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.51a (Released) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #255 on: March 09, 2012, 03:45:07 PM »

I agree... we weren't really going anywhere with our discussion
let's sign a peace treaty XD
Agreed.

*Sticks "kick me" sign on Dreyven's back*

Deathven

• Commander
  • "Contigo ergo sum" - Descartes
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 09, 2012, 04:18:33 PM »

I agree... we weren't really going anywhere with our discussion
let's sign a peace treaty XD
Agreed.

*Sticks "kick me" sign on Dreyven's back*

Win

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 09, 2012, 07:10:41 PM »

I got a question, why not just make it so that vents over a certain number double in price and change name?  For example say you don't have enough to add 5 of these inefficient vents, but you have enough for 2 or 3.  I don't see why that shouldn't be something to be allowed.  Same with the capacitors.

At some point, some hull mods will be locked away by character skills - so, you wouldn't even have access to these unless you had, say, a high enough Engineering.

Given that, it can still work that way once you get high enough engineering.  EG it unlocks the 'double' cost sinks once you meet the requirements.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 09, 2012, 07:52:42 PM »

Given that, it can still work that way once you get high enough engineering.  EG it unlocks the 'double' cost sinks once you meet the requirements.

Thought you might bring that up :) That was actually one of the first things we considered, but it seems cleaner to achieve largely the same thing working within existing mechanics instead of adding new ones, no?

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 09, 2012, 07:58:56 PM »

In completely random note - The resistant flux circuits often provides *almost* equivalent flux dissipation compared to spending points directly in vents

Of particular note, the Hyperion gets 28 flux dissipation, for 2 OP.. The medusa gains 40 for 4 OP, and the Odyssey gets 100 for 10 OP, and the Paragon gets 125 for 10 OP. The Auora is 85 for 6 OP...

Anyway, yeah, on some ships its really useful, and on other ships useful if you find yourself getting hit by emp weapons

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 09, 2012, 09:04:53 PM »

Given that, it can still work that way once you get high enough engineering.  EG it unlocks the 'double' cost sinks once you meet the requirements.

Thought you might bring that up :) That was actually one of the first things we considered, but it seems cleaner to achieve largely the same thing working within existing mechanics instead of adding new ones, no?

Thing is that I never can really use them because either I have to waste points, or I just avoid the flux.  Because say I have only 6 points left, and it needs 10.  I could take out 4 vents or downgrade a weapon, but then it kind of defeat's it's purpose.

Also, if engineering is required, does that mean most ships won't start with hull modifications?

Also I found this in the advanced optics:

public class AdvancedOptics implements HullModEffect {

public static final float BEAM_RANGE_BONUS = 200f;
   public static final float BEAM_DAMAGE_PENALTY = 25f;
   public static final float BEAM_TURN_PENALTY = 50f;

Is that supposed to be there?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:52:01 AM by JamesRaynor »

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 10, 2012, 07:53:41 AM »

Remove that one ;D

darklaurence

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 10, 2012, 08:44:41 AM »

I think the only problem im having is that wing dominance will beat EVERYTHING seriously get enough wings and you can take on the hegemony fleets I really only ever deploy the tempest and a carrier and that basically wins me every fight..  I think wings need a penalty in large numbers

RaveBomb

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 10, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »

Could a fix be to give larger ships better anti intercepter weapons?  Or possibly cruisers and larger take less damage from small weapons?

stonehand

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 10, 2012, 02:54:47 PM »

think i found a bug not 100% sure but my flag ship was down to 6 hull hp left so i left the battle was flying the high tech friget with 5 elite crew and the auto calc finish the battle with my ship living thats np but i didn't lose any crew at all made me happy but i'm sure if i finished the battle myself i would have losed 4 to 5 of the crew for that ship (note all dmg done to the ship was in that battle was not hurt before going into it)

edit nvm u still lose them its just the reslut screen is not showing the loses
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 08:20:29 AM by stonehand »

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #265 on: March 10, 2012, 06:12:25 PM »

Could a fix be to give larger ships better anti intercepter weapons?  Or possibly cruisers and larger take less damage from small weapons?

Point defense: try equipping some PD lasers or flak/dual flak cannons :)

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 10, 2012, 06:43:48 PM »

Honestly, large ships are supoosed to rely on smaller ships for point defense - consider getting like a wolf of omen in a point defense setup.. Or just use some broadswords or wasps

Gaizokubanou

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 10, 2012, 07:16:21 PM »

You guys are missing the point, it's the AI that needs help against fighters squadron spam.

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 10, 2012, 07:17:05 PM »

Problem is that the best point defenses require either small energy, or medium ballistic.  Few frigates support enough of those to be effective.  Currently only the wolf seems suitable.  Light machine guns can work in a pinch, but they're terrible at protecting other ships from my experience.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 10, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »

OR right now the balance meter is highly in favor of the missile/fighter right now. PD weapons are in general right now trailing the missile/fighter tech of the game. it either takes longer than the weapon has to fire to blow up a missile/fighter or they can be over whelmed very easily with missile/fighter spam. if we had a few more area damage PD weapons for more mounting sizes...im looking at you small and large... and an energy based solution... i think we could balance them out a little more. though if one goes to far in that direction then you have missiles/fighters trailing PD tech. so while i believe there is more balancing to be done personally i also believe its a hard line to get right on the money. and may require some kind of ECM tech for fighters...
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 29