Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29

Author Topic: Starfarer 0.51a (Released) - Live Patch Notes  (Read 236957 times)

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starfarer 0.51a (Released) - Live Patch Notes
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2012, 01:33:13 PM »

Nice hotfix. I had just gotten that crash and found it reported already, and a few mins later here it is fixed.

Though while I have my *** hat on, I might as well get this out of the way too: Having to actually type in "delete" in order to delete a saved game is one of the (if not the) stupidest user interface design decisions I have ever seen in over twenty years of using computers. Seriously, Alex, what the hell. It's... unfathomable. Why would you ever think that was a good idea. Please, I really want to know the rationale behind that. What was wrong with a simple "Are you sure? y/n" prompt?

That's just to prevent people from accidentally deleting their favorite save. Some people can absentmindedly click right on through a y/n prompt. How often are you deleting save games, anyway?

If for some reason you make a bunch of extra save games you can always just go into the game folder and delete them there.

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 07, 2012, 01:34:25 PM »

Is the hotfix supposed to break save compatibility? I have a save file from the first RC of 0.51a that is now failing to load.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 07, 2012, 01:45:45 PM »

That's just to prevent people from accidentally deleting their favorite save. Some people can absentmindedly click right on through a y/n prompt.

Then those people get what they deserve for not paying attention to what they're doing (and yes, I still think that despite being one of those people every once in a while).
I think taking care of the save files should be the responsibility of the user, not the developer. But if a developer still wants to make absolutely sure people don't lose their savegames, then IMO a much better way to do that would be to make the game simply move the file into the Recycle Bin so that accidentally removed savegames can still be recovered.

How often are you deleting save games, anyway?

You'd be surprised.

If for some reason you make a bunch of extra save games you can always just go into the game folder and delete them there.

By that logic there needn't be a delete save feature at all.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 07, 2012, 01:54:01 PM »

@Sordid: pretty much what Paul said. It's not an uncommon design decision, either. To name two games that do it, WoW and M&B.

Is the hotfix supposed to break save compatibility? I have a save file from the first RC of 0.51a that is now failing to load.

Ugh, yeah, it's possible - about a 50/50. Didn't think about that - sorry!

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 07, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »

I'm not too sure if it was the game but in the middle of a fight something crashed my AMD Videodriver and my Java thingymajick...
i'm just going to assume that it wasn't the game, but will report back if it happens again

Most of the credit there goes to David
Thanks David!

Hmm, well - there are ways to counter Hounds in particular - Salamander MRMs are really good for that. Also, the idea behind improving the Integrated Targeting Unit is to strengthen larger ships against frigates. But I do see your point - if AI is too good at something, that could get annoying. I'm trying to keep what it's good at to reasonable things - i.e., not stuff that's not humanly possible, with the AI blatantly taking advantage of its reaction times and such.

No, No, don't get me wrong
i do like it very much...
it's actually a good thing that they are atleast a medium thread now and you can't kill infinite of them with any other frigate :P

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 07, 2012, 02:22:09 PM »

I'm not too sure if it was the game but in the middle of a fight something crashed my AMD Videodriver and my Java thingymajick...
i'm just going to assume that it wasn't the game, but will report back if it happens again
The Java Runtime crashes my video driver too, occasionally. Haven't had it happen yet in Starfarer myself, but I've had a few of these issues in games like Minecraft which use it too.

Ugh, yeah, it's possible - about a 50/50. Didn't think about that - sorry!
No problem, just wanted to be sure there wasn't some sort of new bug in play. Only had about 15-30 minutes into it, anyways. ;)

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 07, 2012, 02:29:41 PM »

Though while I have my *** hat on, I might as well get this out of the way too: Having to actually type in "delete" in order to delete a saved game is one of the (if not the) stupidest user interface design decisions I have ever seen in over twenty years of using computers. Seriously, Alex, what the hell. It's... unfathomable. Why would you ever think that was a good idea. Please, I really want to know the rationale behind that. What was wrong with a simple "Are you sure? y/n" prompt?

I think the main reason is to give the player some pause before he or she deletes a save game. To me this might be a reference to instances where I've deleted save games unintentionally due to haste. I would have to agree with you though that this might seem like a bit too much work to delete a save game, most probably because I no longer delete things willy-nilly :P.

Edit: Ninja'd again
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 07, 2012, 02:30:06 PM »

@Sordid: pretty much what Paul said. It's not an uncommon design decision, either. To name two games that do it, WoW and M&B.

I don't think the comparison with WoW is valid. WoW is a massive time and money sink, which coupled with the fact that AFAIK WoW savegames are stored on the servers justifies this. Not the case with Starfarer. The files are on our computers, if you want to make absolutely sure people don't lose their saves just move them into the Recycle Bin instead of removing them without a trace.

M&B does not in fact do that (well, Warband doesn't, I'm not installing the first one to find out; even if it has that it just means they dropped it from the sequel for a reason). It just has an ordinary prompt.

As for whether or not it's uncommon, that's one other game that has this feature. Against what, hundreds of games that don't? Possibly thousands? Again, I'm sorry to be so blunt about this, but "not uncommon" my butt.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 07, 2012, 02:37:30 PM »

That's just to prevent people from accidentally deleting their favorite save. Some people can absentmindedly click right on through a y/n prompt.

Then those people get what they deserve for not paying attention to what they're doing (and yes, I still think that despite being one of those people every once in a while).

I think this is a bit much, I'm not sure they deserve anything when they accidentally delete something from their computer. Whether they deserve it depends on a whole lot of other circumstances.

I think taking care of the save files should be the responsibility of the user, not the developer.

I think you might be confusing something here, the user does have the responsibility of their save games and the developer isn't taking any away from them. They just made the process of doing a particular task with the save file slightly more arduous than normal. It's like a bench drill having to insert the key before the machine turns on for safety's sake.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 07, 2012, 02:44:34 PM »

Personally, I think the "delete" typing is perfectly fine. I would prefer just a yes/no prompt, though. Not something really important, though.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 07, 2012, 02:52:13 PM »

Agreed with the last post. A yes/no would be preferable.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »

Don't know if this is something from the update or what, but I've hit three pirate fleets that didn't haven enough crew to man any of their ships, so i got a bunch of free ships for nothing

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2012, 03:56:43 PM »

Yeah it's new and it happens somewhat regularly since the hegemony and tri-tach stomp them. You still have to catch them. I like it. It doesn't happen THAT often. What I personally love is trying to lure raiders into the system defense so I can mop up after.  :D

So far love the patch. Balance changes are nice, and I LOVE buying the hulls since it makes them easier to get to, and you feel much more proud when you finally scrape together a ship worth piloting, haha. Am noticing the combat feels harder, but the over-game feels a little easier. Also the venture is my new favorite ship, medium missile slots are now completely awesome.  :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2012, 04:38:48 PM »

WOO FUKKEN HOOO! Time to delete all my saves and begin again! Goodbye life on Wednesday afternoon!
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

KingRice

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 07, 2012, 05:36:46 PM »

Thanks for the quick hotfix Alex!!!

There goes my sleep cycle :(
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 29