Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: [0.96a] Space Truckin' v1.4a  (Read 89620 times)

Lupin III.

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.96a] Space Truckin' v1.4a
« Reply #90 on: August 05, 2023, 06:11:40 AM »

I really like this mod! After playing with it for some time to make it even better, I have a few suggestions/questions.

Getting money is too easy.
With the default settings a "expanded cargo holds" Atlas full of transplutonics shipped 15ly allows you to buy another Atlas, snowballing rapidly. I ended up with 20 Atlas freighters quickly, them and two tugs being the only ships in the fleet. That barely uses any supplies and fuel. No combat ships needed, because the relation bonus on delivery makes all factions friendly towards you anyway. A trip from one end of the core worlds to the other end and back nets a few million credits. That's pretty much a cheat.
Sure, I could reduce the payout slider, but then it would just make it tedious, not more challenging. To create a challenge for example, accepting contracts should spawn bounty hunting fleets with the strength depending on total shipment's worth (above some lower limit). Maybe make contracts cause inspections that reduce combat readiness (you could hide some contraband in that large shipment, right)?

Contracts come too easy and don't seem to be based on sector economy
I don't know how the contracts are generated, but they are not econimically "logical". I can pick up tens of ks of transplutonics on a colony to ship it to planets close together some 15 to 20 ly away. It's almost a given that in one of the destination systems is another colony that also exports transplutonics, which allows me to pick up tens of ks of transplutonics again to ship them back to colonies very close to the starting colonies. That doesn't feel right. Raw materials shouldn't pay by the distance travelled. They should not pay much more than it would, if the shipment would have been picked up from one raw material exporting colony closest to the destination. One could argue that goods like machinery, luxury goods aso. scale with distance as they are "unique", but raw materials are interchangeable.

Nuuki

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2023, 12:15:30 AM »

Thank you for checking out my mod! If you have any suggestions on future content, please leave a post below
well don't mind if I do.

I think it'd be quite neat to have space bussing contracts in addition to space trucking contracts. Kind of like how the Galatia Academy has it's own transport fleets.
You'd take people from planet to planet looking for better lives or better jobs or fleeing from authorities etc. Motive for moving doesn't really matter, what matters is that they want to leave and YOU have a free space on your civilian transport ship.
It could also be nice to have some special hullmods for this, such as cheap or luxury accommodations for certain types of clients. I'm sure there is also a way to make them consume cargo like food or goods to provide their effects, and failing to provide these goods would cut your pay, but that might get tedious or buggy.
It could also be an interesting way to potentially recruit crew, marines, officers, administrators and develop contacts.
It's just a thought but do consider it. After all, we already do transport a lot of humans in this game. They're just not in one piece

ethantokes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 07, 2023, 03:30:12 AM »

Thank you for checking out my mod! If you have any suggestions on future content, please leave a post below
well don't mind if I do.

I think it'd be quite neat to have space bussing contracts in addition to space trucking contracts. Kind of like how the Galatia Academy has it's own transport fleets.
You'd take people from planet to planet looking for better lives or better jobs or fleeing from authorities etc. Motive for moving doesn't really matter, what matters is that they want to leave and YOU have a free space on your civilian transport ship.
It could also be nice to have some special hullmods for this, such as cheap or luxury accommodations for certain types of clients. I'm sure there is also a way to make them consume cargo like food or goods to provide their effects, and failing to provide these goods would cut your pay, but that might get tedious or buggy.
It could also be an interesting way to potentially recruit crew, marines, officers, administrators and develop contacts.
It's just a thought but do consider it. After all, we already do transport a lot of humans in this game. They're just not in one piece

Agreed

Probe1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2023, 11:44:57 PM »

This is a fantastic mod.  It fills in the non-combat aspect of the game.  I LOVE the design and idea.

.. but as others have said before me, the balance is way too generous.  I'm less than a year in and have a decent fleet and tons of money.  The high payouts should be brought down and the advancement to larger contracts should take longer. 
On that note - I have no idea where to find my current space trucker level.  Please add a string after completing a mission that says your current level and how much you gained in plain language. 

My final criticism is something else you've heard a lot.  Parcels aren't presented very straightforward.  From the onset it costs way more to ship parcels than it does freight and it just looks like a bad deal.  It may not be but it looks so confusing that my first reaction was that I didn't understand and came to the forums to learn more.  This is a crazy idea but it feels like parcels should be the first thing you unlock with low payouts and freight should come after with much higher payouts.  That said, I understand what parcels are for and why they're good.  It goes back to my experience that the mod throws too much cash in the players bank for the risks. 

The risk in the mod is fine - I don't want another INTENSE HIGH OCTANE COMBAT mod we have plenty.  I want a cool trading mod and this is just that.  But the payouts just too good.

Kris_xK

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2023, 12:32:07 AM »

If there was an increase in difficulty for the later, higher paying transports I feel it would be a bit more balanced. Say only the Pather/Pirate Activity missions gave really good payouts, and they always spawned a piracy fleet to hunt you down. We'd either have to run and hide or fight our way through.

Still great, and far better than just running drugs for the first little bit.

Coil

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2023, 01:37:07 PM »

I really like this mod! After playing with it for some time to make it even better, I have a few suggestions/questions.

Are you suggesting like more pirates or to make things more dangerous? Add the underworld mod and it will make things very dangerous for deliveries, even in the core worlds!

Vundaex

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2023, 02:19:22 PM »

It also doesn't make sense to keep 100% of the profits.
As a company, it should take advantage of the manpower and leave only a fraction of the benefits to the delivery people.
What about gaining ranks in the company and obtaining better cuts too?

Probe1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 15, 2023, 11:29:26 PM »

Are you suggesting like more pirates or to make things more dangerous? Add the underworld mod and it will make things very dangerous for deliveries, even in the core worlds!

More than anything else, I think that's what drove me to post constructive criticism.  I get shaken down by the Cabal **AND** the constables from Grytpype and Moriarty Defence Authority.  I can have a mercenary show up, demand a 100,000 bribe, and only be a little bothered by this.  Like, damn they fleeced me for half of what I just made in a single trip.  Darn. 

nightflyer2023

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2023, 08:53:19 AM »

I really like the look of this mod! Looking forward to trying it in next playthrough.

emperorofone

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2023, 09:49:44 AM »

Really like this mod and had fun playing it!

On a pretty heavily modded playthrough, I did notice that there were consistent lag spikes starting around late cycle 207. I was able to semi-validate this by only removing space truckin' and starting a new playthrough in which I have been able to get to cycle 212 with limited if any lag. I am not much of a coder, but based on how often I saw new contracts appear on a planet, I am guessing it is related to that. It could also be a weird interaction between my mods and Space Truckin, so I've posted my list here in case. I did have most of the modded factions enabled in the mod's settings so it could have been related to that, but I did not notice a change when modifying the settings after the fact.

Also, I have a 3060ti, 32GB of ram, and a Ryzen 5900x. The single core speed is a bit low, but probably not enough to be the limitation. I have also updated to JRE8 and increased the allocation of RAM to 8gb.

If you need any more details please let me know. Again, thanks for making and sharing an excellent mod!

IceFire

• Lieutenant
  • If you find typos, keep them.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Space Truckin' [v0.2a] - under development
« Reply #100 on: January 03, 2024, 12:12:13 PM »

If we're going to be Space Truckers can we get some square pigs in here?

I cant belive nobody picked up on that one. Loved the movie. They would actually fit as an special faction item.

On an unrelated note isnt this more of a utility mod as no ships get added.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 12:18:52 PM by IceFire »

rogerbacon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2024, 07:03:46 AM »

Is there anyway to haev the USL representative available at factions that spawn later in the game? I know we can set where they appear at the beginning but when a new faction spawns mid-game the USL is not on those faction's planets.

cptdash

• Ensign
  • aka SpeedRacer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2024, 09:32:08 PM »

Is there anyway to haev the USL representative available at factions that spawn later in the game? I know we can set where they appear at the beginning but when a new faction spawns mid-game the USL is not on those faction's planets.

When you have the trade screen open, click the 'C' button in the top right. That will take you to the config menu where you can enable additional factions.

Crimsteel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2024, 03:13:01 AM »

When is Space Trucking going to be updated to 0.97?

5ColouredWalker

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2024, 04:04:09 AM »

I can confirm it works with just incrementing the mod info game version to .97a.

Trying a few runs without it as it feels too easy to build up capital and I don't want to keep fiddling with the numbers (Most recently 1/2 pay if someone would like to give a suggestion), but I've tried it this update and will likely be running it again later.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]