Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.95.1a is out! (12/10/21); Blog post: Uniquifying the Factions, Part 2 (04/30/22)

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108]

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering v.1.6a - Update for 0.95.1  (Read 810864 times)

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Mio Harcourt: fixin' the Machine.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering v.1.6a - Update for 0.95.1
« Reply #1605 on: June 30, 2022, 11:51:15 PM »

(What is a problem is that you can't get a replacement if you lose one. That's part of what a more elegant solution would fix, too.)

I do want to chime in that I remain a proponent of the "you get exactly one Brave Blade per run, and if you somehow manage to lose it, well, sucks to suck, try to get good next run". The others should be replaceable, both from a ~lore~ and gameplay standpoint, but the Brave Blade feels like it should be extra special, both in-universe and just for how powerful it is (albeit that this applies to its current incarnation, which is always up for review and alteration).

I will also second the "spread DME tech around a bit" assertion - going by the lore, entitles like the independent polities and pirates (and perhaps, even in a very limited fashion, the Hegemony) should use at least some DME technology, which is exported and sold to independent governments and other entities which can afford hull and fighter acquisition at scale. It shouldn't be the whole catalogue, of course, but older stuff especially feels like it should appear on the "used ship" market.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Secret Beef Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: July 01, 2022, 12:00:50 AM »

(What is a problem is that you can't get a replacement if you lose one. That's part of what a more elegant solution would fix, too.)

I do want to chime in that I remain a proponent of the "you get exactly one Brave Blade per run, and if you somehow manage to lose it, well, sucks to suck, try to get good next run". The others should be replaceable, both from a ~lore~ and gameplay standpoint, but the Brave Blade feels like it should be extra special, both in-universe and just for how powerful it is (albeit that this applies to its current incarnation, which is always up for review and alteration).
Problem with this is that it incentivizes boring and conservative play. The Brave Blade is the most fun when you’re outnumbered and flying balls to the wall to survive, which is also how you lose it.

So I’m planning something special to ensure you can replace a lost one… but not so easily that you won’t feel the loss. That feels correct to me.

I will also second the "spread DME tech around a bit" assertion - going by the lore, entitles like the independent polities and pirates (and perhaps, even in a very limited fashion, the Hegemony) should use at least some DME technology, which is exported and sold to independent governments and other entities which can afford hull and fighter acquisition at scale. It shouldn't be the whole catalogue, of course, but older stuff especially feels like it should appear on the "used ship" market.
You’ll be pleased to know that the hoary old independent faction integration is being replaced by unique open markets in DME-influenced regions. And I have further plans in that department as well; my modding time this week has been spent building some scaffolding to support more regional identity for DME space.
People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations.

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Mio Harcourt: fixin' the Machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: July 01, 2022, 11:34:15 AM »

Problem with this is that it incentivizes boring and conservative play. The Brave Blade is the most fun when you’re outnumbered and flying balls to the wall to survive, which is also how you lose it.

So I’m planning something special to ensure you can replace a lost one… but not so easily that you won’t feel the loss. That feels correct to me.

That's true, and that's fair. Part of this may just be building mythology in my head - the previous practical experience with an irreplaceable Brave Blade, which isn't even obtainable in gameplay and can only be had by starting with it, by itself imbues it with a kind of odd "importance". It's a case of the existing game feel informing that feeling of How Things Should Be, and I'll admit I'm a bit attached to it at this point.

I fully trust you to get it right in the final version, though!

You’ll be pleased to know that the hoary old independent faction integration is being replaced by unique open markets in DME-influenced regions. And I have further plans in that department as well; my modding time this week has been spent building some scaffolding to support more regional identity for DME space.

Neat! I know the "regional identity" stuff has more been a focus for Magellan than DME (which is perforce more a creature of the Core Worlds), but features along those lines for the three DME systems would also be really nifty. I'm eager to see what's done with Kostroma and Martinique in particular, since those systems have always had a "wild part of the Core" feel to them (even with Kostroma being pretty deep in the Core, all things considered).
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108]