Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Was mining removed from upcoming features?  (Read 3684 times)

Blightor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Was mining removed from upcoming features?
« on: October 22, 2017, 06:24:19 AM »

I have this vague memory of it being part of the features to be in the game, but somehow its seems as if this is not happening?

I know its in mods, but I just wanted to know if its ever going to have an implementation in the main game, especially now with all of the economy and outpost building going on.

Many thanks, and great game and mods!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Was mining removed from upcoming features?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 06:38:53 AM »

Hi, welcome to the forum :)

I don't really remember if any mining was ever in the "upcoming features" list, but I know that personal "shoot at asteroids" mining was never a planned feature. Instead it was considered to let players set up automatic mining operations which then would have to be managed and defended. You could probably argue that outposts will fulfill that role, I'm sure you will be able to specialize them for mining operations.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Camael

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 05:08:08 PM »

Tried to find it, but could not, neither could google, but I am quite certain I remember Alex said he thought about it but found no way to make it interesting so it probably won't happen. Would also be hard to balance, as the amounts produced by Your average mining outposts would dwarf anything the player could pink from some roaming asteroids, same goes for industrial consumption, so it would be quite pointless as unrefined ores are pretty much worthless in the game anyway.

Blightor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 05:18:32 AM »

Thanks for the welcome :)

Found it back in feb last year on the old favorite wayback machine.  Under Upcoming Features.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160216143745/http://fractalsoftworks.com/

But yeah, I guess its maybe merged into the Industry stuff?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 02:46:46 PM »

You should be able to make a mining outpost in the future and that's the closest to it. Alex isn't keen on putting a chore mining in his game and since he didn't want to or couldn't put fun asteroids in combat mode, he decided automated mining it is. And, well, there's not much difference between a mining station that just mines resources for you and a mining station that also ships the resources to markets.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 08:02:58 AM »

I agree with, still, any mining would be part of the outpost mechanics
Still, it's not impossible that asteroid belt and cluster will be explorable and integrated to the closet outpost if something valuable is found.
Or better (but I'm dreaming) maybe we will able to create space station related to them.
I still think that non-planet stellar features should be part of the exploration mechanics (but not exploitation).