Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: MORE weapon groups  (Read 5787 times)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: MORE weapon groups
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 09:04:32 PM »

You can still select empty nonexistent weapon groups by just hitting keys 6-9 when your other weapon groups are full. It's a neat little trick when you want to focus on shields and let the AI shoot.

Yeah, we could use a few more usable weapon groups regardless. Some hulls shave it very close, especially the bigger ships and Apogee could do with at least one more.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 12:04:04 AM »

Five is enough for me, and more and it's just overall and promoting an excessive amount of micro.  Not exactly healthy to just make the start of the game appear even harder.  Though I agree with alguLOD though, collapsible weapon groups would be nice.

How is it harder? No one is forcing you to use more than 5 groups.

And it's not more micro, it's the same, with more options on weapon configurations. As it is now, I feel extreemly limited as valid loadouts for a ship perform poorly, simply because you cannot organize the weapon efficiently.

Weapons with high costs (long reload times or massive flux buildups) don't mesh well with regular weapons
Long range and short range weapons don't mesh well.
Weapon with vastly different FOF's don't mesh well.

It is perfectly fine on small ship that only have 4-5 turrets, but on big ships, or even bigger, modded ones, it becomes a nightmare.
I had to re-design some of my big ships because of that stupid limitation.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 05:31:13 AM »

Missiles (and other limited ammo weapons like AM Blaster) is what eats weapon slots, especially when regenerators get mixed with non-regenerators with varying ammo counts (one torpedo for some small Reapers mixed with all-purpose, high-ammo count Squall), and/or the ship has multiple mounts pointing all over the place like Apogee and Gryphon.

You can still select empty nonexistent weapon groups by just hitting keys 6-9 when your other weapon groups are full. It's a neat little trick when you want to focus on shields and let the AI shoot.
I remember trying this once or twice and it did not work for me, but that was a long time ago.  I should try this again to confirm.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 06:07:08 AM »

I remember trying this once or twice and it did not work for me, but that was a long time ago.  I should try this again to confirm.

Another reason for more weapon groups - you should always have an empty slot avialable even on big ships for shield control

canned Tomatoes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 09:03:45 AM »

That's what you have missiles for, I guess.

(You usually have missiles on a ship large enough to necessitate five weapon groups.)
Usually, yes. But there are those few and rare cases where another weapon group would be really nice. Or an option to have all groups on autofire at the push of a button.
Also flares from ship & weapon pack. I prefer having them on autofire, same with Diable Avionics magic box missile.
It also really makes a difference if you can gradually turn off your more flux intensive weapons in an engagement for some time. You don't even have to use hold fire that way.
I really like microing a battleship in combat like that and I sometimes just hit the limit of what you can do with 5 groups.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 09:19:02 AM »

you should always have an empty slot avialable even on big ships for shield control
I really think that should be a core command, frankly.  It's a little silly that only the veteran players know that they should always keep Group 5 empty, so that they can give Autofire control to their gunners and concentrate on movement / shield controls.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 07:19:42 PM »

I just tried this again.  Still does not work.  If I want to be able to select no weapons and let AI fire all weapons while I move the ship manually, I must leave at least one weapon group (likely 5) empty.  For most ships, this is not a problem, but it is problematic on the few ships with weird mounts (like Apogee) and/or lots of missiles (like Gryphon) that make many groups handy.

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 08:18:26 PM »

I just tried this again.  Still does not work.

Aye, just confirmed it on my end too.
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2017, 12:41:56 PM »

More weapon groups has a biy of a problem with UI taking up space. 5 is already a bit much on some ships. If there were some way to fit the existing weapon groups into a smaller area without affecting readability, I'd expect to see an increase in weapon groups.

isaacssv552

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2017, 12:49:13 PM »

What if the numbers of weapon groups varied based on size? Something like 3/4/5/6.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »

More weapon groups has a biy of a problem with UI taking up space. 5 is already a bit much on some ships. If there were some way to fit the existing weapon groups into a smaller area without affecting readability, I'd expect to see an increase in weapon groups.

How about reading the OP?

It already adresses it by having them collapsed and named.
Pages: 1 [2]