Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: other games like starfarer  (Read 29271 times)

hunterkiller725

• Ensign
    • View Profile
other games like starfarer
« on: February 27, 2012, 07:10:19 AM »

im loving starfarer and cant wait for the next release but ive heard references to other games like starfarer and the only one ive acually played was spaz so what are some of your guys faverites or just good ones you liked

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: other games like starfarer
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:54:44 AM »

Personally, I've not found anything that is super close to this game... But Jupiter the Nexus Incident has some similarities, it is a tactical space game, mission based though. You can find it for pretty cheap on Steam.

If you don't care if it is space based or not, the game plays a lot like Mound and Blade: Warband. Which is a medieval game similar to Starfarer's campaign. I recommend playing with the Prophesy of Pendor mod if you try it out. Another cheap game to get on Steam.

SPAZ is similar, in a sense, and worth playing...

Have you ever tried Jagged Alliance 2 with the 1.13 mod/patch? It is again not space based, but is a tactical turn based game with some similarities to Starfarer...

Gratuitous space battles has some similarities as well, but in that one you setup a "mission" and then hit play and see how it works out, so a bit different.

Otherwise I gotta say that Starfarer is pretty unique...

Himntor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »

Stellar Impact is the closest I can get. Only instead of singleplayer based, it's multiplayer based.

Video for your convenience

Net-burst

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 11:48:03 AM »

Escape Velocity Nova is also very similar to Starfarer.

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 11:57:01 AM »

The Fleet! Zone in Infantry Online - No longer active sadly... but, was fun in its day and providing months of multiplayer enjoyment.

Starflight - Much older game that I think shares many of the same principles of Starfarer. Though very different from eachother in terms of gameplay and age, the spirit of them feels very much the same.

Mount&Blade - Similar in feel and style, just one in space and this one in a more medieval setting.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 01:08:33 PM »

Seconded. In fact, everyone in this forum should play that game, seriously. There's a lot of stuff in EV Nova that I hope finds its way somehow into Starfarer-- the central conflict with multiple storylines, so you can play the same story from the perspective of different factions. The three major factions and six or so minor ones. The freedom to trade and make money, and do menial *** like cart people around the universe if you want. Space monsters.

It's a really good game.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Net-burst

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »

Seconded. In fact, everyone in this forum should play that game, seriously. There's a lot of stuff in EV Nova that I hope finds its way somehow into Starfarer-- the central conflict with multiple storylines, so you can play the same story from the perspective of different factions. The three major factions and six or so minor ones. The freedom to trade and make money, and do menial *** like cart people around the universe if you want. Space monsters.

It's a really good game.
It's nice to see someone, who also played EVN. EVN is classics, like Elite. In fact it aimed to be Elite in 2D :-)

PS. Remembered one more game: Transcendence. But it is not actively developed anymore...

Metadi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 12:28:27 AM »

Oh snap, i'm so glad i got in here before somebody else mentioned Battleships Forever. http://www.wyrdysm.com/games.php BSF is pretty much the same as starfarer (or vice versa) except without the depth, amazing sprite work, great modding community (though the ship builders are INSANE), wonderful AI, and a million other things that make me love Starfarer. Ever since i played BSF the first time i've been looking for something that could match it... and man was Starfarer a pleasant surprise. Another awesome space game is Transcendence, it's also a very deep game in a very different way, with an excellent modding community and a fun story. http://neurohack.com/transcendence/ All these links in my post, i feel like a spambot!  :P But yeah, check out BSF and Transcendence, they are highly recommended.

Edit: I forgot to mention the best part about these games: they're absolutely free!

DanJSC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 12:32:52 AM »

I remember an old space game based off Star trek, it was in flash but i can't remember the name of it.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 12:48:27 AM »

People, there is NO game like Starfarer. I was searching game like this for 10 years. No other game gonna give you "feeling" like Starfarer.

There can be ONLY ONE!  8)
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 12:58:06 AM »

People, there is NO game like Starfarer. I was searching game like this for 10 years. No other game gonna give you "feeling" like Starfarer.

There can be ONLY ONE!  8)

Now you're implying that there sorta are more like Starfarer... just that Alex ran around and chopped off all the heads of the other developers and gained the quickening developer powers!

Metadi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 01:25:46 AM »

I remember an old space game based off Star trek, it was in flash but i can't remember the name of it.

That would be Flash Trek 2, a very fun game indeed.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 01:49:20 AM »

... just that Alex ran around and chopped off all the heads of the other developers and gained the quickening developer powers!

Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

powerbonger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 03:00:29 AM »

No one's mentioned Homeworld and Homeworld 2 yet? Color me shocked!  ;D

But yeah, HW/HW2 has similarities, but also lots of differences with Starfarer; its more like Jupiter: The Nexus Incident in a sense. But also great fun if you're into the tactical space warship games :)

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 03:04:04 AM »

PS. Remembered one more game: Transcendence. But it is not actively developed anymore...
What? Unless I'm missing something, there is no Announcement or anything saying that development stopped.

And indeed, in December last year, there was a release; 1.07. A small one, yes, but a release nonetheless.

In fact, there's even a thread made in January titled "The Future Of Transcendence" which did not talk about ending it, but building even more support for mods.

Did I miss something? It seems like the game is still alive. ???

And Transcendence is not all that similar to Starfarer; it's too based on one ship. Similar with space combat and refitting, no doubt, but a majority of the game is still far different from Starfarer.
Pages: [1] 2