Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Fleet to large to disengage" suggestion  (Read 3156 times)

Zibywan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
"Fleet to large to disengage" suggestion
« on: July 07, 2017, 04:55:53 PM »

The Suggestion: Let players who have fleets that are too big to retreat choose ships to sacrifice so the rest can attempt to escape. If the players fleet is sufficiently larger than the enemy fleet (double the fleet points in combat ships?) let them disengage with the harass effect, or make them select a few ships to send to their doom.

You can say you’re sending a decoy fleet to give the rest an opening, or something to that effect, and if you have the larger fleet say something to the effect of “marshaling so many ships in an escape effort will take more time than you have. You’ll have to send a force to ensure you can escape.”

The logic: Not being able to disengage because your fleet is too big seems a bit silly, but being so badly surrounded that there are no good escape angles makes a lot of sense.

I understand the reason players can’t run for it when the fleet is too big now is because it would be used to cheese a whole massive fleet onto the battle space. Makes sense, but having to intentionally suicide ships the player doesn’t want to save seems like a waste of time, and just makes the battle painful to play out.

This option will make choosing to run with a large fleet a loss, whether the player cheeses the encounter or not. Choosing ships to sacrifice stings, but it at least lets the player skip the infuriating experience of trying to get their fleet to die in an unwanted combat, while still punishing players trying to abuse the system.
Play how you want, just don't try to force your playstyle on the other kids in the sandbox. Balance around the casual so the game can survive.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: "Fleet to large to disengage" suggestion
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 05:17:57 PM »

Reason for preventing large fleets from fleeing is probably due to battle map size.  Defending fleet in pursuit automatically deploys everything.  If a fleet could run regardless of size, then pursuit could be a way to exceed battle map size.  I know I would exploit that.

Zibywan

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 05:46:24 PM »

Yep. I addressed that above. The idea behind this is to let a player who knows they'll lose ditch what the don't want to keep without having to suicide it. Just select the ships you want to lose until you have a legal fleet size, then try to escape with that.
Play how you want, just don't try to force your playstyle on the other kids in the sandbox. Balance around the casual so the game can survive.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 07:35:49 PM »

I'd love to see the opposite: You choose a small contingent of forces to help you delay the main enemy force until the bulk of your forces can get away
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 04:33:24 AM »

I'd love to see the opposite: You choose a small contingent of forces to help you delay the main enemy force until the bulk of your forces can get away
I was about to suggest the same - You choose the group of ships you want to fight a regular battle to cover the retreat of the rest - those retreating ships can't be deployed to this battle, and you need to keep the enemy fleet occupied until some arbitrary timer expires - at which point you can retreat your fleet in combat, and that will result in a retreat battle, with only the ships you fought the first battle with. Successful escape of this fleet or not, then you can successfully disengage

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 11:27:14 PM »

I was about to suggest the same - You choose the group of ships you want to fight a regular battle to cover the retreat of the rest - those retreating ships can't be deployed to this battle, and you need to keep the enemy fleet occupied until some arbitrary timer expires - at which point you can retreat your fleet in combat, and that will result in a retreat battle, with only the ships you fought the first battle with. Successful escape of this fleet or not, then you can successfully disengage
The time required to delay could be based on the burn speed of the fleet.

Kyezeacker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 03:48:04 PM »

The time required to delay could be based on the burn speed of the fleet.
It should be based on burn speed and size, but either way I think it's a great idea. The current disengage attempt method just throws your entire fleet in and the slowest ships are almost always the first to go but with this method I'll gladly sacrifice a mining ship or 5 to save my destroyer.