Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are the colossus Mk II and Mk III good?  (Read 10219 times)

Vigal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Are the colossus Mk II and Mk III good?
« on: June 05, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »

The Mk II (LP one) looks like it might be good fun with the hammer barrage coupled with all those weapon mounts, I've yet to fight one though.

The Mk III (Pirate one) looks like a pretty solid carrier with great defences but again I've not see it in action yet.

I like the idea of converted ships its a shame the Buffalo Mk II and Mudskipper Mk II tend to get their asses handed to them are these to any different?

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Are the colossus Mk II and Mk III good?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 03:41:44 PM »

If I didn't get it wrong all the surrouding turrets are small ballistic meaning they're mostly used as PD. Plus, the pirate one only got one fighter bay.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Vigal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 04:06:59 PM »

If I didn't get it wrong all the surrouding turrets are small ballistic meaning they're mostly used as PD. Plus, the pirate one only got one fighter bay.

I've been looking at it as a cheaper to run and better defended version for the gemini, it also has 50 more cargo space. It looks like it could fit a good niche
but I want to see whether people have actually put it to the test.

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 04:11:18 PM »

When they work they are pretty good, but after ~1 min of combat most of the weapons will be down from critical malfunctions.

Volken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 05:40:07 AM »

Yeah i really think that weapon malfunctions happen too soon and too often. I think Alex should tone them down by about 25%

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 05:52:47 AM »

Yeah i really think that weapon malfunctions happen too soon and too often. I think Alex should tone them down by about 25%
This is not a problem for enemy fleet, ah ah!

Yes, LP ship have a very low life duration after 1 minute on game and my Colossus MK II  is dead of that.
But I think, this is usable only per the enemy IA who is do not inflict per the CR.

I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

Achataeon

• Commander
  • ~stare~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 05:54:24 AM »

You *could* restore them in a market to remove the Ill-Advised Modifications hullmod, which causes the malfunctions. Gotta pay up with cash though.
"On average, a human has one breast and one testicle"
- Vsauce, Michael here

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 05:58:32 AM »

When they work they are pretty good, but after ~1 min of combat most of the weapons will be down from critical malfunctions.
That has been a problem with Lasher (LP) before 0.8.  Malfunctions broke weapons before Lasher could get the first kill.  That make it useless.

As for colossus MK II, it is weak for its size due to poor flux stats and not worth the money.

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 12:51:05 PM »

Thanks to this thread I found out that Colossus has a Luddic Path (Mk.II) and a Pirate (Mk.III) alternated types. So I made a custom variant only and spawned in one default Mk3 in with all positive hullmods including a few you can't outfit in a shipyard with. Found it slow still but found it awesome when I threw some of my super weaponry on its fore. Which means its not entirely my cup of tea as I can't catch up with fleeing ships, not unless I make a crazy version of it for my own use only in which case it would wander across the sector at burn level 20 mowing down fleets from all sides.
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 09:37:30 AM »

I fought 3 Mk II and one Mk III scattered over 3 battles. Their storage is cut down from 600 to 300. They are slow and useless bullet sponges. Didn't even provide good loot. Must not have had cargo.

What the Colossus could be turned into would be a Q ship with lots of concealed missile weapons. A mass missile barrage might actually be effective.

Drokkath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 02:03:50 PM »

Without modding the heck out of a Colossus it's pretty much a flying slug-slow brick and an easy prey for my overhullmodded and overpowered ships.
Despite that I find the idea of flying that brick appealing enough to eventually and probably customize an alternate new copy of both its sprite and its configs at some point.
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2017, 10:25:42 AM »

Imo the MK II and MK III should get 2 fighter bays and 2 hammer barrages. That would make them a tad less sucky.

Drokkath

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 04:15:29 AM »

Something like that indeed. I'm no balance expert so I don't really know, but sounds about right.

Death_Silence_66

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2017, 03:45:15 PM »

Imo the MK II and MK III should get 2 fighter bays and 2 hammer barrages. That would make them a tad less sucky.
2 Hammer barrages might let you alpha strike destroyers to death, and with combat skills might also delete cruisers. No complaint about the fighters though.

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2017, 09:03:20 PM »

I, too, would like to see two carrier bays instead of just one. Thank you in advance, devs, for hopefully considering this change.
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.
Pages: [1] 2