Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Shield & phase on a toggle  (Read 3433 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Shield & phase on a toggle
« on: June 03, 2017, 12:30:54 PM »

Simple idea: when you click RMB, you don't raise or lower shield, you tell the game to do so automatically. What's the difference? I'll finally stop raging at my ship for not rising its shields even though I told it to do so as soon as possible after finishing venting. The worst thing is that due to shield starting really narrow I often take unnecessary damage to hull because I've been looking at my shield to work to be sure... except it didn't actually activate because I pressed RMB fraction of a second too soon. It's really, really irritating since you can't double click to be sure, because the first click might've worked, might not.
Same about phase.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Shield & phase on a toggle
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 01:05:05 PM »

I only ever had this problem once while using the conquest. Only because the shields were SO SLOW I could not tell. But never had this problem. I dont see how if you can vent under fire but still need shields instantly its fine if you take just one more hit right?

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 01:06:30 PM »

Alternative, the game could remember the raise shields command until it's done venting and do so at its earliest. I too have lost a bunch of ships to that timing quirk where it looks like you're done venting but you're just not able to raise shields yet. If I'd waited another split second instead of trying it early, I might've blocked that torpedo.. etc.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2017, 01:07:14 PM »

This has caused my Hyperion playerships to take damage or die occasionally.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2017, 01:13:44 PM »

I have that problem regularly, this idea would help. It would require an shield indicator, though. Otherwise you'd be reduced to guessing if your shield will raise after vent or not pretty easily.
An indicator would help in any case to avoid the same kind of problem not with venting, but with coming back out of pause.

Alternative, the game could remember the raise shields command until it's done venting and do so at its earliest.

Isn't that exactly SCC's suggestion?

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 01:25:16 PM »

I too have lost a bunch of ships to that timing quirk where it looks like you're done venting but you're just not able to raise shields yet.
This is exactly why I thought we could use toggle. Another couple of cases were where I clicked it once, thought it didn't kick in, clicked second time and disabled shield again... Oh, the pain.

I have that problem regularly, this idea would help. It would require an shield indicator, though. Otherwise you'd be reduced to guessing if your shield will raise after vent or not pretty easily.
Mouse cursor? It could fill in if shield/phase is on and empty when it's off. Alternatively something attached to the cursor. Alternatively alternatively some indicator in a corner... I think the cursor would be the best because it's very important anyway and is always on the screen.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2017, 11:22:16 AM »

i suggested a slightly different solution for the same issue a while back: make holding down right-click reengage shield/cloak asap. this doesn't require a way to show the player whether the shield/cloak is currently toggled on or off, and still gets rid of having to time the button press correctly if you don't want to take a bunch of avoidable damage. this is also how it already works for ship systems.

Alex has since said that he plans on trying that solution, but hasn't gotten around to it because it would require a lot of testing to make sure it doesn't introduce bugs.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 12:21:40 PM »

I have suggested this before, would make ships with systems that disable shields feel better to use.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »

Oh. I must've not noticed it then.
But, on the other hand, doesn't that show how wanted this feature is? Well, I hope that .9a will have it, or something that lets me re-engage shields/phase the moment venting, overload or whatever ends.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 07:54:29 AM »

After doing some dangerous manoeuvres in Medusa I'd like even to just have shield/phase state being shown somewhere... Maybe I pressed it too lightly, but I still lost half of my hull mostly due to concentrating on the enemy and not myself.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 08:01:46 AM »

After doing some dangerous manoeuvres in Medusa I'd like even to just have shield/phase state being shown somewhere... Maybe I pressed it too lightly, but I still lost half of my hull mostly due to concentrating on the enemy and not myself.

Yep, clear indication of current state would be nice. Easy to mess up when you flicker a lot and/or focus on target ship.