Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: option to transmit (or not transmit) IFF codes in battle  (Read 4411 times)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
option to transmit (or not transmit) IFF codes in battle
« on: May 24, 2017, 09:56:14 AM »

Mostly because I'm tired of friendly patrols stealing my bounty. Can we have a simple dialogue option that allows us to preclude friendly ships from joining our forces?

Something like this:

Hegemony Patrol: Supporting your forces
The Pirate fleet maneuvers to prevent you from disengaging easily.....

You decide to....

1) Move in to engage
2) Transfer command before engagement
3) Attempt to disengage

Move in to engage

A Hegemony Patrol is nearby and willing to assist you in the upcoming battle, if you transmit your fleet's IFF codes to them.

You decide to....

1) transmit IFF codes
2) do not transmit IFF codes
mmm.... tartiflette

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: option to transmit (or not transmit) IFF codes in battle
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 11:07:06 AM »

I think this could work out alright if introduced with a mechanic that allowed for third parties in a battle, but only when dealing with factions that are "neutral" to you. Friendlies will always assist. Life or death is more important than bounties, if there's competition all the more reason to risk a more aggressive approach. The third party could register as neutral, but inflicting a certain level of damage on their ships during the course of battle could flip them to hostile and result in a three-way mess.

I know I would like battles in the campaign to play out a little less... linearly, and this might contribute to that.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 12:22:07 PM »

Agreed with the OP. I hate that I can not deny them but they can deny me, either flat out or by harassing the enemy as soon as I join...
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 06:47:58 PM »

+1

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 03:15:14 AM »

1-upping this.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 08:18:11 AM »

or you could just make it so if you get the "could join but not IFF" dialogue, there's an option that just switches your transponder on and continues on with an engagement dialogue, with your transponder being on after combat to skip the whole "backing out of dialogue, doubleclick 1, re-select the fleet and oops you've passed them, circle back around and hope the fight isn't over"
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 08:33:58 AM »

Not quite what I'm talking about. I'm saying when you have transponder on and you're in a fight and AI wants to help you, you should be able to deny that by a dialogue option
mmm.... tartiflette

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2017, 03:38:25 AM »

This...This could really save lots of lives. Especially on early stages in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2017, 05:11:48 PM »

Let's just say I have reloaded games because I did not want freeloaders on my side before.  "No one steals precious rare weapons from my loot! It's all mine!"  There were few times I went dark the moment before touching the enemy (to prevent aforementioned freeloaders from joining) then activate transponder quickly after battle and hope patrols do not bust my fleet.

The requested feature would be nice.  No more gambling with patrols over transponder status.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2017, 05:18:21 PM »

I believe Alex stated why this wasn't going to happen when Sensors got added.  A system Patrol fleet isn't really going to acknowledge your "please don't help me" signal - they're going to do their job and smash the enemy fleet, regardless of what your thoughts on the matter are.  Furthermore enemy fleets only deny the option to help when you aren't identified to them - when both sides are identified, they will help regardless.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 06:06:27 PM »

problem is you can already do this by pulsing the transponder off the minute before engaging. The only problem with that is it risks a space-ticket from whatever government that might be around (almost completely irrelevant, mind you, since the bounty reputation boost offsets the reputation loss anyway).

mmm.... tartiflette