Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: NPCs should salvage/recover derelicts  (Read 8674 times)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
NPCs should salvage/recover derelicts
« on: May 15, 2017, 04:23:36 PM »

There's an absurd amount of derelicts floating around. NPC scavanger and pirate fleets should salvage/recover some of them and add them to their own fleets. If you try to salvage one they are salvaging, they hail you and then one of you either leaves angry, or you fight.

The scavanger fleet hails you: "We have claim to this salvage. Leave immediately"
>1. Withdraw
>2. Attack them
>3. Demand they leave
>> If they're much weaker than you and/or the prize isn't worth it, they will leave and give you a small rep hit with that faction
>> If you're weaker, or if they're evenly matched and the prize is good, they fight you.

Of course, this doesn't work so well when the player is salvaging and someone else tries to steal it, because player salvage happens instantaneously. Yet another reason why it would be good for the player salvage to have a 5-20 second progress bar, depending on how big the ship/debris field is.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: NPCs should salvage/recover derelicts
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2017, 04:52:53 PM »

I am immediately in love with this idea.  ;D

Morbo513

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2017, 11:24:00 PM »

Yes. I'd hope it's already planned to some degree anyway, I'm not a fan of the player being able to do things that NPCs can't.
Of course, this doesn't work so well when the player is salvaging and someone else tries to steal it, because player salvage happens instantaneously. Yet another reason why it would be good for the player salvage to have a 5-20 second progress bar, depending on how big the ship/debris field is.
ACHOO

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »

I like this idea quite a lot! I'm all for more interaction with NPC fleets.

Still very against the idea of salvaging taking real time.

Hussar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 03:46:19 AM »

I like this idea, though only for derelict ships? I mean, it would be like a huge bummer to have them dismantle research stations and other derelict habitats or mining stations :F

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 05:11:30 AM »

Still very against the idea of salvaging taking real time.

Shouldn't need to. AI already takes time to resolve battles that the player resolves instantly. Treat salvaging the same way.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 05:52:39 AM »

Could be like Diablo 3.  Only you can see the wrecks in the game, and only they can see their wrecks.  Stops things like ninja-looting (in this case, by NPCs).

Definitely a reason to skip tutorial if derelicts gradually disappear due to NPCs grabbing dungeon loot.  You start at the same day regardless of tutorial start, and I want to be let out of Galatia to get the goodies.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 05:54:21 AM »

i hope you understand, that if AI will scavange, you will starve to death as soon as try to leave core sector

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 06:35:39 AM »

Right now there are is a little too much treasure lying around. And the fact that nobody else seems to care makes suspension of disbelief harder.

Just tweak these variables to get a good balance:

1. Amount of new derelicts and debris fields being created at any given time by spontaneous generation, NPC battles, or missions
2. Amount of NPCs that are engaged in salvaging and recovering them.

It would kind of suck if the NPCs went out and salvaged all the good stuff before you had a chance. But the game should be creating enough new shipwrecks at any time in order to replace them. Once/If stations become part of the dynamic strategic landscape, they can continually be created, captured, destroyed, salvaged etc by NPC and players so that wont be a concern either.

The time bar thing for the player salvage is not essential true-- but having it would allow for player salvage to be stolen, which might be interesting, and it would be another opportunity to use stealth and sneaking. 5 or 10 seconds just isn't that much time. And maybe it would come up AFTER all the dialogs and looting screens are displayed, and be shorter the less stuff you take, so that you don't wait for 10 seconds and only end up getting 3 pieces of metal.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:38:11 AM by nomadic_leader »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 06:45:31 AM »

Right now there are is a little too much treasure lying around. And the fact that nobody else seems to care makes suspension of disbelief harder.
More like too much vendor junk, probably to reward non-combat characters (or those who cannot afford combat).  The loot I mainly care about are rare weapons and hullmods I have trouble buying at shops (because they require commission, and you can only have one at a time at best.  Want Tachyon Lance and various hullmods for your Paragon from Tri-Tachyon, too bad you will not get Mjolnir from Persean League for your Onslaught/Conquest/Legion)?  Unfortunately for me, I need to max Salvaging to loot the (mining and research) stations I really care about, and pounding to scrap gives a joke for loot.

At least ships are easier to come by, unless you want the Valkyrie.  I found a Valkyrie derelict once, and I doubt anyone sells that.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 06:58:32 AM »

Yea it's just too many ships lying around and there's no challenge/competition for it besides fuel logistics in outer systems if you want to recover ships. Even as a non-combat character the amount of ships floating around seems excessive.

If you're a combat character who wants rare weapons, the fact that you're engaging in combat all the time should at least give you more opportunities to get those rare weapons. So Perhaps the rare weapons and hullmods should be more frequent loots, but NPCs should also be salvaging. This would have a way of reducing the derelict spam, and adding some more interesting competition.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 09:37:16 AM »

If you're a combat character who wants rare weapons, the fact that you're engaging in combat all the time should at least give you more opportunities to get those rare weapons.
I wish.  Conquest may be the only ship that uses Mjolnir (Onslaught used to, but not anymore), and I have yet to fight one.  Tachyon Lance is used only by Paragon, and I only fought two so far.  At least Remnants use plasma cannon and heavy blasters, and I can farm those if I cannot buy them.  As for hullmods, some are simply not used by any ship (does any ship use Converted Hangar?), and the only way to get those is to buy them (if you have commission) or hope you get one from a mining/research station (if you have max Salvaging).

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 12:11:11 PM »

Rare items should be.. well, rare. But there should be some way to get them if you do something difficult. Rather than just something tedious, like farming a thousand lame derelicts.

At any rate, I think this is a separate issue, and having NPCs salvage derelicts needn't make rare items even more impossible to get.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 12:20:29 PM »

having to compete with scavengers for derelicts left behind by faction wars would fix the problem of there being no reasonable situation in which a player loses relations with the independant
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

dk1332

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 07:06:38 PM »

Rather than just fighting them, how about adding another option where you can pay them to allow you to pick some of the scavenge as well?

If the loot rare the NPC scavenger fleet could either:

- Sell it to you on a very high price (somewhere along the lines of unreasonable)
- Be jerk and try to kill you to keep the good stuff to themselves.
- Or just ignore you, and be on their way.

If the loot is something you can find lying around in the market or they are just some "nice" people, They can just sell it to you directly to "clean up some storage capacity", with or without their own tariffs.
Pages: [1] 2 3