Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Flag Captain / Executive Officer: a skills-related suggestion  (Read 5628 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Flag Captain / Executive Officer: a skills-related suggestion
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2017, 06:09:53 PM »

Yeah I agree that taking combat skills is a trap with the current level cap as now it seems like you HAVE to pick the fleet wide skills and you also can't respec as well. Combine that with the fact that combat was nerfed to hell and back and you get a trap. I'd say let me be just another captain while I have another character that is the admiral
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 07:25:05 PM »

I've actually been thinking for a while that non-captain officers would be nice. Like a logistics officer you can have over your fleet who gets fleet/tech/industry skills exclusively, to free the player up from worrying about that so much at the cost of money and tight player control of skills (needing to replace them if they spec out a tree you don't want/need).
Also, being able to pick your second in command. Because I don't want my SIC wasting my kite's hammers just cause I'm doing something else >:(
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 07:49:24 PM »

lack of non combat officers is immersion breaking.

i just can't accept that nobody expect "me" able to learn how to salvage or survey.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 05:52:36 AM »

Yeah I agree that taking combat skills is a trap with the current level cap as now it seems like you HAVE to pick the fleet wide skills and you also can't respec as well. Combine that with the fact that combat was nerfed to hell and back and you get a trap. I'd say let me be just another captain while I have another character that is the admiral
Here is an idea.  If you change ships, you get to use the officers skills instead of your own in battle.  That way, character can completely ignore combat skills (because they are weak compared to fleetwide or campaign skills) and focus on the skills that really matter.

I really want to use Combat skills, but with so few points, I cannot justify spending the points.  Most of them are better off delegated to officers, and player should get the skill that adds more officers.  Fleetwide skills are much better.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 09:52:07 AM »

i just can't accept that nobody expect "me" able to learn how to salvage or survey.
It's not a matter of who can learn the skills.  It's a matter of the skills only functioning if the person in charge of the fleet knows them.  If the captain of one of your frigates knows how to, say, coordinate logistical resources - well, that doesn't matter, because they don't have the authority to do so, and if they did, they'd be running the fleet instead of you.

There are also serious game-mechanical concerns; if you could have officers that learned non-combat skills, then there'd be no reason for the player to have skills at all.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 07:15:30 PM »

It's not a matter of who can learn the skills.  It's a matter of the skills only functioning if the person in charge of the fleet knows them.  If the captain of one of your frigates knows how to, say, coordinate logistical resources - well, that doesn't matter, because they don't have the authority to do so, and if they did, they'd be running the fleet instead of you.

There are also serious game-mechanical concerns; if you could have officers that learned non-combat skills, then there'd be no reason for the player to have skills at all.

so i can't order one of my officers to distribute supply instead of doing that personally?
i can't order one of my officers to run salvage\survey operation?
i can't dedicate one of officers to manage fleet navigation?

it's immersion breaking.
currently game demand to waste 3+3+3 skill points just to get access to all content and gives no way to avoid this, "take it or leave" style...
Pages: 1 [2]