Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: About That Whole Salvaged-Hull Thing...  (Read 22904 times)

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: About That Whole Salvaged-Hull Thing...
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2017, 04:18:40 AM »

real issue is not "how bad dhulls are"...

real issue is long list of brand new hulls for sale, after complete fall of humanity, brand new hulls should be non existant and unavailable on open market at all.
everything that fly around should be tens of cycles old.
new hulls should cost 10 or 20 times more then degraded ones.

i can get "used" car of variable condition and year by walking to marketplace, this will be old and damaged car with degraded engine, brand new car is unavailable for me at all, i just can't purchase it, money is not issue, there are no new cars at market at all.
much more severe situation should be on SS hull market, all available hulls, ever military ones locked behind reputation and comission, should come with variable list of defects.

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2017, 05:42:34 AM »

The number of ships for which the destroyed weapon mounts d-mod and its relatives are not instant "do not salvage" are very limited.  (Early-game, wolf is one that is not-paraplegic with that d-mod).

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2017, 06:08:21 AM »

destroyed weapon mounts
do note that destroyed/downsized weapon mounts isn't actually a normal d-mod, it's built directly into a predefined d-version of the base ship, which means it can't be repaired/removed. those ships are meant for pirate fleets and cheap(er) market offers, they aren't generated by recovering a previously undamaged ship after it's been disabled in battle.

in 0.8.1, the difference between those predefined d-hulls and the randomly generated recovered ships with d-mods will be made a bit clearer.

real issue is long list of brand new hulls for sale, after complete fall of humanity, brand new hulls should be non existant and unavailable on open market at all.
everything that fly around should be tens of cycles old.
new hulls should cost 10 or 20 times more then degraded ones.
not really, there are still quite a few autofactories around that continuously manufacture new ships in pristine condition, and all they need is a blueprint and the required raw materials.

what are rare in the post-collapse Sector are entirely new ship designs. almost all ships designs (in vanilla) have either existed before the gates closed, or are relatively simple modifications that are applied after the automated manufacturing process (like the Tarsus-to-Condor conversion, or the slightly beefed-up Shepherd). this is because the autofactories work just fine with old blueprints, but creating or altering the blueprints themselves is incredibly difficult with the current technology available in the Sector, as is manufacturing ships from scratch without the help of the old autofactories.

this is perhaps the primary reason (as far as lore is concerned) for why repairing a heavily damaged ship is often more expensive than just buying a new one: most repairs are done by human engineers and laborers, whereas most manufacturing is done fully automated.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 06:16:05 AM by Sy »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2017, 06:13:44 AM »

Ships with destroyed weapons mounts are "do not salvage" for me.  They tend to be small mounts used for PD.

More annoying are pirate ships that appear very similar to normal versions, when shrunk and have damage overlays obscuring the finer details.  I restored Hammerheads only to discover that they have 85 OP instead of 95 OP.  Nope, time to scuttle it!  I need to double check if the Sunder has a large mount, or if the Falcon has all of its mounts.

The only exception to that was my first Eagle.  I was desperate for a cruiser early in the game and recovered a pirate Eagle.  I still use it, waiting for it to die, but it will not.  I plan to replace it with a normal Eagle with 150 OP (instead of 135) the moment it dies and I have no immediate need to recover the pirate Eagle.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2017, 07:08:54 AM »

@ Sy:  Not completely true.  Some of the negative damage mods that are built into some stock ships, like Ill-Advised Modifications on Mudskipper II and Faulty Power Grid on the pirate Mule (with the classic universal mount) and various Luddic Path ships can be removed with restoration.  Only Destroyed Weapon Mounts cannot be removed.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2017, 07:23:00 AM »

that's what i meant, yeah, i just worded it poorly. the normal d-mods (as well as Ill-Advised Modifications) on those ships can still be removed, even if they came pre-installed. but removed or downsized mounts can't.

and other changes that don't relate to a d-mod don't change either, like the reduced OP (which is bad for the ship) or the additions of other built-in hullmods like Shielded Cargo Holds or Safety Overrides (which are good for the ship).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2017, 09:40:10 AM »

I forgot to mention Luddic Church sometimes use inferior ships.  I expect pirates to use the 85 OP Hammerhead, but I did not expect Luddic Church to do the same.  My last 85 OP Hammerhead recovered came from a Luddic Church deserter.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]