Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: dropping off ships similar to cargo  (Read 1977 times)

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
dropping off ships similar to cargo
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:05:12 AM »

perhaps one step removed from fleet separation mechanics, but this one should be a bit simpler to implement (if a bit more limited)

since we can already leave cargo to come back to later, I propose we be allowed to do the same for ships. A ship dropped off in space can be tracked permanently and will need to be supplied and crewed to maintain CR, otherwise it will lose CR as though it's unsupplied and mothball itself once CR reaches 0. Ships left in space will be subject to all terrain (nebula/asteroid belts, mostly) and will be running dark. Enemy fleets will not look for the ship unless they see you drop it or have seen your fleet recently (and therefore identify the fleet as missing a juicy freighter, for example). If they find the ship they will destroy/capture/loot it but if they're not specifically looking for it they will not interact with it in any way.
mmm.... tartiflette

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: dropping off ships similar to cargo
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 12:41:25 PM »

*scratch head*

why not just mothball?

I think between Mothball, storage, and whatever shape the Outposts system takes, this is pretty much covered.
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 12:44:39 PM »

mothballed ships still slow down your fleet and can't carry stuff.

If you leave cargo with a ship somewhere, they should be available when you find it too.

EDIT: I'm mainly thinking of this as dragging a large logistic fleet to a distant system, then leaving the atlas and prometheus on the outskirts somewhere while you go in to explore at like burn 10, then come back, grab them and be on your way
mmm.... tartiflette

DMinatrix

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »

mothballed ships still slow down your fleet and can't carry stuff.

If you leave cargo with a ship somewhere, they should be available when you find it too.

EDIT: I'm mainly thinking of this as dragging a large logistic fleet to a distant system, then leaving the atlas and prometheus on the outskirts somewhere while you go in to explore at like burn 10, then come back, grab them and be on your way
Hm, I get what you're saying, being able to travel with a big fleet system to system but then have a smaller and faster exploratory one go off and do the surveying and perhaps some of the chasing down of pirate scum before linking back up.  I think the closest thing now is just leaving ships in storage like at the terraforming station orbiting askonia, but it'd be neat if that could happen, I think the closest you'll probably get is being able to set up an outpost in the frontier and then leave those big ships there while you explore surrounding systems.
Hegemony: Lawful Neutral
Tri-Tachyon: Lawful Evil
Luddic Path: Chaotic Evil
Persean League: Neutral Good
Luddic Church: Lawful Good
Pirates: Neutral Evil
Independents: Neutral