Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Hammerhead is surprisingly badass with safety overrides.  (Read 27228 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Hammerhead is surprisingly badass with safety overrides.
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2017, 11:14:50 AM »

I'm curious though, what is the big major change that has bumped the Hammerhead up from the "Meh" it was previously to "Solid choice"?

I believe it received a slight boost to OP (+5-10?) but did it also receive an improvement to it's base stats? It already had the Hybrid small slots in the old version, well, I guess Accelerated Ammo Feeders was also buffed to not increase flux buildup and that's pretty major.

I don't think there was any improvement to its base stats, but the changes you mentioned made a major difference. Basically, it can now to fire its weapons without driving its flux up a huge amount, and mount the good guns.

Also the overall balance of the game has changed in a way that greatly benefits it. The fact that officers no longer cause so a overwhelming offence advantage means that its good shield actually matter: before the game was almost all about firepower and speed.

Yeah, it's about time for me to do a Buffalo Mk. II complaint thread, lmao.

:P. I think a weak (1.2) omni shield would solidly transform them into a useful ship. Still crap-tier, but useful. At present they are actually a dangerous annoyance if I don't focus fire and pop them.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2017, 04:30:23 PM »

If Buffalo Mk.II gets a shield then there'll be even less reason for front shield generator to exist. I think it's fine as it is defense-wise.

As it is it's kind of a hobo-missile boat which makes its fragility somewhat okay. Giving it Fast Missile Racks might help refine it's role more, but given it's first and foremost a hobo-ship I don't think Alex would want it to have a "proper" role.

Only thing I really want for Buffalo Mk.II is an art update so it matches the new-ish Buffalo sprite. It's still based on the old Buffalo.  ;)

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2017, 04:38:41 PM »

If I was gonna buff the Buffalo Mk.II, I'd slap Extended Missile Racks on them as a built-in. Thematically, it'd reflect the conversion of what used to be cargo bays. And it makes them a little more of a threat if left unfocused, as they'll be unlikely to run out of missiles. But without buffing the "Pilum & Sally-spam" build.

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2017, 04:44:02 PM »

If I was to buff the Buffalo Mk II I would give it the timid or cautious AI rather then the one it has now they love committing suicide as of right now.

noworries

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2017, 09:26:39 PM »

Remembering I'd seen this thread, I grabbed a Hammerhead I saw for sale.

Why can I only spec him out comparable to your first "D" class spec? (ie with only 1 point remaining for flux)? It's not a "D class". I'm pretty new so maybe I'm missing something?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »

Why can I only spec him out comparable to your first "D" class spec? (ie with only 1 point remaining for flux)? It's not a "D class". I'm pretty new so maybe I'm missing something?

D-classes don't necessarily have less OP than normal (in fact generated D-classes never do, only a few premade D-class hulls have less OP than normal).

Also the only explosive damage your Hammerhead has are its two Reapers.

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 06:10:21 AM »

I didn't put the flux distributor on my second loadout. I used it on the D mod because I needed the extra venting, but when you're already venting 900 I wanted more capacitors instead.

All I was wanting was enough flux venting to be higher than my guns, then I used the rest for more capacity since it's 99% hard flux that builds up and can't vent with shields up anyway.

I also keep around a second variant that has 19 vents 4 capacitors and unstable injector without the torpedoes. I use it for chasing down fleeing ships since it has 200 speed with the boost and can catch pretty much anything. Losing the torpedoes and 4 capacitors makes it way less effective vs larger ships though.

I tried other guns with longer range like heavy maulers and mortars, but I don't see why you would use anything but the assault chainguns with this build. Your range is gonna be crap anyway with the SO, and they do double the damage of the other guns. Double the flux too, but if your venting more than weapons anyway... It's the combination of 3 machineguns and heavy maulers that lets the ship kill so fast.

800 HE dps and 624 Kinetic DPS. That means you're doing 1648 DPS to shields, 1912 DPS to armor, and 1424 DPS to hull. You pretty much ram frigates and destroyers and watch them melt. If you have backup distracting them and can approach from a flank to avoid their main guns/missiles/rockets you aren't even in any danger from destroyers. Cruisers go just as quick if you use your torpedoes.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 06:30:06 AM by Paul »

noworries

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 07:25:23 AM »

Got it. Am tearing things up even with this first build! Appreciate the thread, I'd ignored this hull as it seemed so... common?

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 07:57:06 AM »

I've found that using small MGs as my primary Kinetic damage on an SO Hammerhead means I have to be point-blank, especially the rear-mounted ones. If you can find them, Railguns on the rear mounts with Dual MGs in the front is pretty decent.

Oh, I finally got the Converted Hangar mod. I had to drop SO but a Hammerhead with Talons (set always to regroup) is pretty ridiculous. Bombers take way too long to rearm due to the rearm penalty. I wanted to put Khopesh or Tridents in there but the downtime is insane. Warthogs, on the other hand, are also quite good because they're tough to kill and give you some decoy action while you vent.
Pages: 1 2 [3]