Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any nice exel copy freeware? dont feel like being pirate tonight...  (Read 6992 times)

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile

dont feel like pirating exel so any good programs to modify the text files with that would keep the columns straight... trying to rebalance every single weabon & ship to my liking with notepad is bit.. FUBAR!  ;)
:/ open office?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:02:10 AM by SgtAlex86 »

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Any nice exel copy freeware? dont feel like being pirate tonight...
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »

You probably shouldn't mention pirating so blatantly. Just saying, it's unneeded and it might make people look down on you or get you in trouble.

Anyway, Open Office works fine from what I can tell. Go ahead and try it, it is free after all. :)

stardidi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »

What is up with this community and pirace.... anyway Open Office is indeed a great replacement for MS's office programs

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 10:20:09 AM »

OpenOffice works fine, just make sure when you open the file to erase the text delimiter. By default it puts quotes around everything, but if you click in that box and delete the quote when you open it, it won't. Alternatively you can edit the filter settings when you save it by going to save as and ticking the box.

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 10:22:12 AM »

just wanted to know if it supports the data files i need to modify...  ???
and mentioning pirating isnt against the law anywhere... specially if your talking about not pirating...  (and specially if someone not mentioned has piratebay tab open 24/7 incase need something thats not easier to buy...  ;))

thanx for info... will have those 1000% armors on those capital ships...  >:( no more pesky fighters scrathing more than paint!

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »

I use libreoffice which is basically open office (a branched project IIRC) but under appreciably continuing development

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 10:28:01 AM »

I use libreoffice which is basically open office (a branched project IIRC) but under appreciably continuing development
:o sounds nice... downloading ^^

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 10:28:22 AM »

and mentioning pirating isnt against the law anywhere... specially if your talking about not pirating...  (and specially if someone not mentioned has piratebay tab open 24/7 incase need something thats not easier to buy...  ;))

Not against the law, no, but not something I want to see on this forum. There are no official rules here (yet), but to me, this is something that falls under "common sense". So, please don't do that :)

Tarran

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 10:31:15 AM »

What is up with this community and pirace....
Wait, what? I didn't think that this community was specifically against piracy.

and mentioning pirating isnt against the law anywhere... specially if your talking about not pirating...  (and specially if someone not mentioned has piratebay tab open 24/7 incase need something thats not easier to buy...  ;))
I know, I was just saying it's unnecessary and some may look down on it. And some more serious moderators may be upset. I was in no way saying that mentioning it is against the law.

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 12:00:40 PM »

I just use google docs, then I don't have to worry about carrying files anywhere or dropboxing them to myself or anything.

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 12:07:59 PM »

I use Notepad++ but.. the text isn't divided or seperated, if i Open it in Excel its all written in the first square..

Would be nice to get that fixed, but not necessary, I've learned to live with it, and by now I basically know what numbers mean what :P
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »

I use Notepad++ but.. the text isn't divided or seperated, if i Open it in Excel its all written in the first square..

Would be nice to get that fixed, but not necessary, I've learned to live with it, and by now I basically know what numbers mean what :P
Everyone does csv differently. So you need to tell open/libreoffice to ONLY separate by commas, and remove all the text delimiters. Someone should really post a screenie of this. I'll try to remember when I'm at home. It has a preview, so you should be able to click around until the setting are correct. Just watch out for the quotes (") it will try to put around everything, as mentioned above.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 01:48:59 PM »

Here we go (had it installed at work after all)

You clear out the text delimiter by clicking in there and deleting. (thanks to all pointing that out. It was driving me crazy)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:56:42 PM by icepick37 »
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 01:51:33 PM »

and mentioning pirating isnt against the law anywhere... specially if your talking about not pirating...  (and specially if someone not mentioned has piratebay tab open 24/7 incase need something thats not easier to buy...  ;))

Not against the law, no, but not something I want to see on this forum. There are no official rules here (yet), but to me, this is something that falls under "common sense". So, please don't do that :)

Mentioning or promoting? I'd understand forbidding promoting piracy, but talking about it... I really don't see the harm in that.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »

Mentioning or promoting? I'd understand forbidding promoting piracy, but talking about it... I really don't see the harm in that.

As a general topic, it's fine. Talking about specific instances of it ("I pirated X" or "I don't feel like pirating Y" or "I usually (do not) pirate Z") is what I'm talking about. Basically, I don't want any kind of a discussion that clearly states or strongly implies that one is engaging in piracy. I feel that accepting such discussion here implies that *I*, at least implicitly, condone it, which I most certainly do not.

Edit: plus, that's not the smartest thing to share in a public forum.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 02:02:18 PM by Alex »