Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: S-burn balance....  (Read 24161 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
S-burn balance....
« on: April 22, 2017, 06:01:52 AM »

Just a few thoughts & observations; please contribute your own:

• I'm using it exclusively, e-burn is largely defunct
  • Even evasive AI can be caught by exploiting (run away, turn around, charge in @20, they can't dodge)
  • When surveying/hunting for derelicts, sensor debuff is irrelevant; s-burn is ~3x faster, so even with -25% sensor range, you still scout more area s-burning.
  • It might be contributing to those saying the sector actually feels smaller, as s-burn makes star systems significantly smaller than they were.
  • Navigation - The skill that gives +5 s-burn, -25% fuel use, and 30% less terrain penalty is OPAF
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 06:04:05 AM by TJJ »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: S-burn balance....
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 06:13:35 AM »

Navigation - The skill that gives +5 s-burn, -25% fuel use, and 30% less terrain penalty is OPAF[/li][/list]

It has to be. Otherwise I'll never consider a skill that does not contribute to combat whatsoever.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 06:19:23 AM »

I use it most of the time.  This is the same as running in Doom and other early FPS games.

The lack of agility occasionally hurts, and I have turned off S-Burn to turn around, then turn it back on.

OPAF?  Do you mean "Overpowered as ****"?

It makes the level 3 perk that removes CR penalty of that one Industry skill useless, since SB is better than EB because EB is not as fast and you still lose fuel for using EB.

It makes the Neutrino ability useless.  Aside from the annoying volatiles requirement, I am not giving up Sustained Burn for it, ever.

I do like that it makes slow burn that used to be unacceptable (Venture, any ship with degraded engines) generally irrelevant.

The bonus to SB at level 3 Navigation seems like overkill.  The main reason to get Navigation 3 is Transverse Jump ability.  Now that is very convenient (but I cannot afford it with limited skill points and skills I want more).

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 06:29:46 AM »

I like the the idea of S-burn but agree that it trivialises and invalidates too much (E-burn, Burn levels, chasing/running away from other fleets, sense of scale and wonder). It needs to be a lot more situational: I'd suggest giving it a very long charge-up, make it build up speed even slower, make it only usable with planned trips (i.e. changing your destination immediately shuts it off, can't be targeted on fleets), and make it practically blind you while lighting you up for half the system to see. It should be something you'd use only if you're fairly certain you won't get waylaid on the way.

Even then I fear it diminishes the size of the Sector too much, especially if AIs can't use it. Maybe add an extra fuel penalty that also applies in-system to further discourage it's use. Yeah I get this is pretty fun-policey but hey.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 06:40:15 AM by Embolism »

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 06:36:19 AM »

Using sus burn to catch fleets is an issue i think.
However it cant just be set so that combat cannot happen with sus burn because then u dont have to worry about big fleets intercepting u while ur charging around.

I think if u try initiating a battle with sus burn there should b a penalty (50% PPT? maybe less or something else, double deploy cost)? *shrug*

If another fleet tries to intecept u while u sus burn (its been done to me a few times perfectly) then disengage should have a bonus for u? and a straight fight a penalty for the attacker? This will still allow giant fleets to stomp u.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 06:42:03 AM »

I'd suggest giving it a very long charge-up, make it build up speed even slower, make it only usable with planned trips (i.e. changing your destination immediately shuts it off), and make it practically blind you while lighting you up for half the system to see. It should be something you'd use only if you're fairly certain you won't get waylaid on the way.
That would mean I would never turn it off (unless I need to spam Sensor Burst to find stuff).  So far, turning it off briefly for a little more agility is a good idea, but if SB takes too long to activate but nothing else changes, I will always leave SB on.

After a certain point, I want to get "waylaid".  I play Starsector to fight, and try to build my ships for that purpose.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 06:43:46 AM »

Could be even simpler: Make Sustained Only work in a straight line. With the course plotting it would be alright to use. Maybe even only usable in Hyper?

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 06:45:12 AM »

I have actually used e burn frequently enough to avoid fights. Small scavenger versus slightly larger, yet harder to detect pirate fleet can he a struggle for me at times. And sustained burn just doesn't cut the get away in a pinch. Considering I'm not doing a bounty humter playthrough yet, it can be fairly useful for salvagers to turn off s-burn, since you need to maneuver more to find derelicts and debris.. In my opinion anyway.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 06:46:37 AM »

Maybe even only usable in Hyper?

I like this, though if it were the case, it could be achieved by simply increasing the hyperspace speed boost.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 06:49:57 AM »

I'd suggest giving it a very long charge-up, make it build up speed even slower, make it only usable with planned trips (i.e. changing your destination immediately shuts it off), and make it practically blind you while lighting you up for half the system to see. It should be something you'd use only if you're fairly certain you won't get waylaid on the way.
That would mean I would never turn it off (unless I need to spam Sensor Burst to find stuff).  So far, turning it off briefly for a little more agility is a good idea, but if SB takes too long to activate but nothing else changes, I will always leave SB on.

After a certain point, I want to get "waylaid".  I play Starsector to fight, and try to build my ships for that purpose.

The way I envision it, changing your destination (i.e. making any turns at all, or stopping) will immediately turn S-burn off and make you charge it up and gain speed again if you want to keep using it. Since it also kills sensors (I'm thinking something big, like reduce sensor range by 90%) it's basically impossible to use it against fleets, as the moment it's ready you'll lose sight of your target and S-burn shuts down.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 06:52:47 AM by Embolism »

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 06:50:30 AM »

Could be even simpler: Make Sustained Only work in a straight line. With the course plotting it would be alright to use. Maybe even only usable in Hyper?
Eh, I mean, if that was the case, I'd probably just speed up time. I kinda like using s-burn in system. Saves traveling distances between distant planets.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 06:51:24 AM »

S-Burn makes more ships not feel horrible to use and speeds up the boring travel times. I don't see any problem with it, other than travelling NPC fleets not even having a worse version of it - the gap between player fleet and NPC travelling from system to system is so large it feels unfair. But the gameplay benefits far outweigh the immersion problem.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 06:53:40 AM »

If travel times (in the sense of how much the player spends waiting, not things like quest and market timers) were the only reason for S-burn to exist, then why not just expand the speed-up-time function? And by expand I mean you could add options such as auto-disable when enemy fleet of size X is in range, etc.; if that's going to be an argument against it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 06:55:14 AM by Embolism »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 06:58:59 AM »

The biggest problem with SB, if it can be called a problem, is it makes other abilities that are mutually exclusive with SB (like Neutrino) and one or two skill perks (namely Safety Procedures 3) less desirable.  Well... also, tugs and Augmented Drive Field is kind of pointless too.  But that is okay - OP is scarce now.

I do like that I use ships that I would never otherwise use (due to unacceptably low burn) without SB.

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 07:20:38 AM »

SB definately widens ship choice
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6