Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [Linux; 0.8a-RC17] easy to miss the instruction to quicksave during the tutorial  (Read 1115 times)

db48x

• Ensign
    • View Profile

The first time I tried the tutorial, I didn't notice the instruction to quicksave (or I disregarded it as unnecessary). Because I didn't quicksave, the pirate didn't turn up. Because there was no pirate, I wandered over to Ancyra to see what was going on there. However, I hadn't gotten far enough in the tutorial to get control over my transponder, so the fleet guarding Ancyra was a bit annoyed at me. I choose the dialog option to turn on my transponder, but it didn't actually turn the transponder on! This made him even more upset. I tried retreating from the resulting combat, and lost my second ship. Of course, he was still right there, and I still didn't have my transponder turned on, so I didn't get very far before I had to fight him again. Etc.

There are probably several ways you can fix this, and you should probably employ all of them. The most obvious would be to have some of these events trigger not merely in linear sequence, but based on your location in the system. If you move away from the debris field, the pirate could spawn to chase you down. If you get close to Ancyra, the events for abilities like the transponder can happen, etc.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Yeah, I've got a todo item to make the "quicksave" instruction much more prominent. It's definitely an issue.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile

I hit this as well. Was very sad when I couldn't turn on my transponder the the security force attacked me.