Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starsector Math - Hard Flux Dissipation isn't quite as simple as you think!  (Read 1703 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

I've been doing a little more work on my mod The Silent Armada, specifically regarding implementing an additional hard flux dissipation to the fancy built-in hullmod all the ships have, and I wanted to point out some of the math I did to reach an interesting conclusion.

This also applies in the stock game to the Monitor and its "Flux Shunt" hullmod (which allows it to dissipate hard flux at 50% of the normal flux dissipation rate while shields are active). Turns out, 50% is NOT the rate at which the ship appears to dissipate flux in that situation. The same is true of the modifications I've made to the hullmod from my mod. So, I thought I'd do a little maths.

Here are my notes from the WIP version changelog to explain why this is the case:

- Built-in hullmod "Rewired Flux Dispersal" now also allows TSA ships to dissipate hard flux at 75% normal rate while shields are active

NOTE: This makes it harder for the player to hold a high flux level outside of combat, and therefore means that to get the most effect out of the Flux Sink ship systems, they have to stay in combat to keep their flux high. Previously the player was able to maintain a high flux level outside of combat by keeping their shields up.

The hard flux dissipation also scales with the Flux Sink buffs to passive venting, allowing ships with those systems to stay in combat for longer while still keeping their shields up.

It is worth remembering that flux dissipation rate while shields are active is still lowered by the shield upkeep, so the actual hard flux dissipation rate is quite a lot lower than 75% (0.75) of normal passive venting. Most TSA ships have a shield upkeep that uses 40% (0.40) of their base venting rate ('V'), so without any further modifiers, hard flux dissipates ('H') at:

H = ( V - (0.40V) ) * 0.75
          = 0.60V * 0.75
          = 0.45V
          = 45% of normal passive venting rate

Not sure if anyone else out there was initially confused by "Hard flux dissipation rate", but hopefully that clears up some of the finer points - at least, the ones I've figured out here. Have a nice day!  ;D