Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: [0.97a] Grytpype and Moriarty Defence Authority 0.9.9h (New Version Ed.)  (Read 271138 times)

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Grytpype and Moriarty Defence Authority 0.9.2d (Update Ed.)
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2019, 07:25:22 PM »

Very Simple little update for 0.9.1a, mainly ship prices.

Link here.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile

And here's the actual update for 0.9.1a. This is mostly tweaking a lot of things, like sprites and values. A lot of the GMDA ships are now dangerous, but as aforementioned GMDA patrols can be bribed to look the other way similar to Luddic Path, mitigating problems with the early game. Due to the nature of the changes, this is somewhat kind of maybe save game compatible - use at your caution, but I think the only problem will be some weird loadout shenanigans if you fight with GMDA ships / against GMDA ships on updating. Alternatively, you can wait for 'another mod' to release before starting a new game.

LINK HERE

-Clarified the GMDA playstyle by breaking the hullmods into two base hullmods
   -Bludknock Engines, which gives a zero-flux speed boost while blocking the engine mods
   -Overdrive System, which explains the boosts at high flux and drawbacks to using the system
-Due to the inclusion of the Speeding Ticket system (Similar to Luddic Path), the chances of being completely ganked by GMDA fleets has been mitigated for early game fleets. Consequently, a lot of the nerfs have been removed from GMDA ships, making them more attractive.
-Standard GM Stock ships are now worse, but cheaper.
-Coloured GMs ships are now rarer and better - in the future they may be phased out completely, excluding any future ideas to make a Wolf with Terminator Drones, a Phase Lasher, or an EMP kite.
-Altered various ship stats to be more compliant with 0.9.1a.
-The Crun Gun, in addition to Fighter Elimination, is now also good at general purpose PD, while the Bluebottler gun and Modular Lurgi Suppression Beam have been slightly improved.
-The Sprites for all of the frigates (excluding the Kite), and the Sagitus duo have been reworked
-The Tarsus (GM), Tarsus (GMs) and Condor (GM) have been reworked both in sprite and function
-GMDA blueprints now have images in them.
-Descriptions have had a pass over - still might be mistakes lurking in there somwehere.[/spoiler]

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile

A quick question to everyone who runs this mod:

Currently, I've been really thinking about whether the 'coloured' GMs ships should continue to exist in this mod (as per the changelog) and replace them with GMHQ versions of the Lasher, WOlf and Kite (Again, as per the changelog). While they might be neat and fit the 'sports car' asthetic which GMDA promoted, I feel that they don't necessarily have a large impact on gameplay (due to their rarity, and when you eventually find one you're probably not going to use them). GMHQ versions, however, can be made less rare (and more inherently ridiculous), and done in such a way that you will actively use them, even into the mid to late game.

So, to anyone who uses this mod, how attached are you to the coloured series? I would like to know your thoughts.

pairedeciseaux

• Captain
    • View Profile

My 2 cents,

I haven't tried the mod post Starsector 0.9.0 release. Intend to do so in my next campaign.

I played with GMDA mod active for something like 50% of my modded 0.8.1 runs. I did not have much interaction with GMDA fleets compared to others.

The few times I have encountered those colourful GMDA Lashers and Wolves I thought they were gimmicky and did not like them. When I wanted high end frigates - flashy or not, I looked either at Cabal fleet or vanilla ships in store (and let's not dive into the tons of great original frigates available in other mods). Also in modded games we already have several Lasher and Wolf versions. The recently released Interstellar Imperium v2 has dropped it's golden Wolf, I think it's a good move.

On the other hand I find the other GMDA ships interesting both on art style and gameplay. I like both the consistency and uniqueness (compared to vanilla / other mods). In fact, I think you could loosen vanilla ties : GM Venture is not a Venture anymore, GM Falcon is not a Falcon anymore, GM Hammerhead is not a Hammerhead anymore. Those - and maybe some others - could (should?) get a name of their own, IMO. :D

Even if the mod has some roots as vanilla-tweaked content (lore reference, vanilla ships used as model), I like to think about it more like vanilla-inspired and vanilla-friendly original content, if it makes sense. Looking at it this way, to me the colourful Lashers and Wolfs feel redundant. I'm not sure about standard GM frigates, I'll test them.

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile

there are several ships which are often used in mods with some modernisation or overhaul:

-Wolf
-Lasher
-Hammerhead
-Tarsus (there started to be many variant of Tarsus novadays)
-Dominator
-Venture
-Sunder

and several others.

stormbringer951

• Commander
    • View Profile

I don't actually have strong feelings on a lot of GMDA colour boats because they're too rare early on and too fragile when I find them. I've bought the Green Lasher a few times because it's a pretty good shoot-and-scoot gunboat if I know dampened mounts, but most of the rest felt too OP-starved or fragile to do well in later game.

I was thinking of suggesting having them be more common and show up in more indie and pirate fleets, but making a line of powerful and desirable super/playerships might be a more interesting direction to take the mod.
Weapons Group Controls mod - deselect all weapon groups, hold-down hold-fire mode, toggle alternating/linked fire
Captain's Log - throw away your notepad: custom notes, ruins and salvageable reminders
Old Hyperion - for your dose of nostalgia
Adjustable Skill Thresholds - set fleet DP and fighter bay thresholds

namad

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

What specifically does GMDA overdrive suite do? I just got this gmda hammerhead and..... it says that when my flux is high cool stuff happens.... but then I go into run simulation and.... GMDA overdrive never triggers and never seems to benefit me at all ever?

Or is gmda just bugged in simulations and I need to try it in a real battle?

edit: That said my base speed is supposed to be 75 and it's actually 80, and 80 is the default and the GMDA overdrive gives it -5... so maybe it is in fact bugged in simulations?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 08:37:17 PM by namad »

Alphascrub

• Commander
    • View Profile

A quick question to everyone who runs this mod:

Currently, I've been really thinking about whether the 'coloured' GMs ships should continue to exist in this mod (as per the changelog) and replace them with GMHQ versions of the Lasher, WOlf and Kite (Again, as per the changelog). While they might be neat and fit the 'sports car' asthetic which GMDA promoted, I feel that they don't necessarily have a large impact on gameplay (due to their rarity, and when you eventually find one you're probably not going to use them). GMHQ versions, however, can be made less rare (and more inherently ridiculous), and done in such a way that you will actively use them, even into the mid to late game.

So, to anyone who uses this mod, how attached are you to the coloured series? I would like to know your thoughts.

I think you could honestly keep the "colour line" if you wish. Frankly I think you do  decent job spriting your own ships and redesigns of vanilla and would love to see what you could come up with on top of these colour models. Maybe you could do a little of both? Take your colour line into the super frigate category and make up your own souped up sprites.

I don't actually have strong feelings on a lot of GMDA colour boats because they're too rare early on and too fragile when I find them. I've bought the Green Lasher a few times because it's a pretty good shoot-and-scoot gunboat if I know dampened mounts, but most of the rest felt too OP-starved or fragile to do well in later game.

I was thinking of suggesting having them be more common and show up in more indie and pirate fleets, but making a line of powerful and desirable super/playerships might be a more interesting direction to take the mod.

100% agree and relate here. Most of the time I'm running destroyers instead of frigates (with the exception of super frigates) by the time I come across any decent amount of GDMA colour variants. Very rarely have I seen a gold lasher or pink wolf and never early in the game.

namad

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Bluebottler gun is the most OP gun ever put into the game.
I'm pretty sure there's a typo in the mod, it's that OP.

300damage per second 300 emp per second 50 flux per second 550 range 5OP

quite easy to aim and fire and use.

Is this a typo? What should it say instead?

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile

Yeah, I did accidentally make the gun OP. IN the next version (coming soon) that will be hit with a nerf bat, along with several other things being tweaked.

namad

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Yeah, I did accidentally make the gun OP. IN the next version (coming soon) that will be hit with a nerf bat, along with several other things being tweaked.

I know how to edit my mod's numbers on my own, any chance you can give me a preview of what you're thinking? Sorry if that's rude to ask. I'm just having a lot of trouble with temptation right now. Doubling or tripling the flux? Turning it back into PD and reducing the range/accuracy massively but leaving it's super strong damage numbers in place? Other? Adding an ammo clip?

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Grytpype and Moriarty Defence Authority 0.9.4 (Slimjim Ed.)
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2019, 08:20:23 PM »

I know how to edit my mod's numbers on my own, any chance you can give me a preview of what you're thinking? Sorry if that's rude to ask. I'm just having a lot of trouble with temptation right now. Doubling or tripling the flux? Turning it back into PD and reducing the range/accuracy massively but leaving it's super strong damage numbers in place? Other? Adding an ammo clip?

You can see for yourself.

NEW UPDATE: THE COLOURED RANGE IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE COLOURED RANGE.

Instead, you now have three new botes to peruse the sector in, along with various tweaks and fixes. Get it HERE.

Spoiler
-GMDA hullmod now actually works.
-Coloured GMs ships removed from rotation. Kept as a legacy, however, to prevent game crashing.
-Added the Kite (GMHQ), Lasher (GMHQ) and Wolf (GMHQ)
-Tweaked various sprites and weapons.
-Changed the GMDA faction flag.
[close]

namad

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2019, 02:02:49 AM »

You can see for yourself.

NEW UPDATE: THE COLOURED RANGE IS DEAD, LONG LIVE THE COLOURED RANGE.

Instead, you now have three new botes to peruse the sector in, along with various tweaks and fixes. Get it HERE.

Spoiler
-GMDA hullmod now actually works.
-Coloured GMs ships removed from rotation. Kept as a legacy, however, to prevent game crashing.
-Added the Kite (GMHQ), Lasher (GMHQ) and Wolf (GMHQ)
-Tweaked various sprites and weapons.
-Changed the GMDA faction flag.
[close]

I think the bluebottler is now entirely useless, a lot of guns with both kinetic and emp damage are more efficient than 2.0 flux per non-emp damage efficiency... one thing that might save the bluebottler with it's exact current stats would be to make it point defense. You really can't pressure shields with such an extreme flux cost because even basic common kinetic ballistic weapons do so better.

As examples of far far better kinetic+emp guns look at say the hypervelocity driver or the magaera twin-linked railgun. I realize those are both medium's but those were just off the top of my head there are plenty that are also smalls.

Sorry if I seem to be nitpicking.

edit: more similar weapons: gallant light railgun, light rail accelerator, assault rail accelerator, ferrogun, heavy rail accelerator, lockdown hmg, zealot rail-repeater.
These are all much much much more efficent than the bluebottler now. Making the gun 12 times less efficient may have taken it from OP to underpowered.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 02:11:15 AM by namad »

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2019, 10:31:11 AM »

As examples of far far better kinetic+emp guns look at say the hypervelocity driver or the magaera twin-linked railgun. I realize those are both medium's but those were just off the top of my head there are plenty that are also smalls.

Sorry if I seem to be nitpicking.

edit: more similar weapons: gallant light railgun, light rail accelerator, assault rail accelerator, ferrogun, heavy rail accelerator, lockdown hmg, zealot rail-repeater.
These are all much much much more efficent than the bluebottler now. Making the gun 12 times less efficient may have taken it from OP to underpowered.

Those Great House weapons from Tallahn's mod are intentionally better than energy and ballistics - the mod isn't finished yet but great house items are NOT vanilla balanced - they're closer to neutrino levels of power. BRDY weapons are versatile and extremely good with high projectile speeds, accuracy, and lots of bonus effects, for good flux efficiency at long ranges for their effects. Not vanilla balanced weapons. Sylphon weapons are DEFINITELY not vanilla balanced as they're by far the strongest part of that mod faction. And most DME weapons are, again, very good. You should generally mention what mod contains what gun if you're going to reference other mod's items in your balance argument, btw.

namad

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2019, 11:44:45 PM »

Fair points. Still the hypervelocity driver is vanilla. Yes it's a lot more OP and a larger size mount. Although yeah, soren's suggestion of 1.5 efficiency and less accuracy makes sense. The idea of "spraying" was why I suggested the weapon could also go the route of having point defense targeting if desired.

I'm aware the efficiencies of the weapons I mentioned were more powerful than vanilla, but if 1.2 is OP 2.0 is still underpowered in my opinion, something like 1.5 might strike an ideal balance.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10