- 0 (0%)
My last final is the 22nd, so it ought to come out the 21st
- 0 (0%)
When it's ready(tm)
- 42 (80.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: December 20, 2016, 03:21:42 AM

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Solstice Approaches!  (Read 10940 times)

Soychi

• Lieutenant
  • Ad Rem
    • View Profile
The Solstice Approaches!
« on: December 15, 2016, 03:21:42 AM »

Just a thought that's been swirling around in my head ever since an earlier forum post regarding the update cycle. I would not be surprised to discover if Alex has some dark power granted by an evil god, as his game and community are much like Rasputin, and will not die. ;) Seeing as that paints it in a darker light, I infer his powers may be aspected to darkness, and so on the winter solstice will be at their most powerful, making it a likely candidate for the release. Let me know what you guys think, any alternatives you have in mind, and so on. :)
ARE YOU A COWARD? This is not for you. We badly need a brave man. He must be 23 to 25 years old, in perfect health, at least six feet tall, weigh about 190 pounds, fluent English with some French, proficient with all weapons, some knowledge of engineering and mathematics essential, willing to travel, no family or emotional ties, indomitably courageous and handsome of face and figure. Permanent employment, very high pay, glorious adventure, great danger. -Glory Road, Heinlein

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The Solstice Approaches!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 06:45:51 AM »

Most things point towards the patch not making it in December. Santa probably took a Salamander up the tailpipe and won't deliver the patch till Jan. or Feb.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 12:16:00 PM »

Feb 21st

Any game released now will virtually guarantee developers fixing stuff during xmas, which is a PITA no programmer wants.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 01:23:23 PM »

No chance. I'm afraid it's very unlikely it will release this year. Alex is still implementing new features, alone all the balancing and testing after that will take more days then this year has to give.

Luckily the Steam sale starts in a week and my wishlist has many entries this time :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 03:22:06 PM »

Brace your wallet... the Sales are coming!

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 06:20:49 AM »

0.7 was first announced in early April and released in mid November, making for a cool 6 1/2 months of anticipation.  Of course, 0.7 was revealed shortly after the final updates to version 0.6 and was probably the largest update so far in terms of expanding the scope of the game, so it's reasonable that there was still a lot of work to do at that point.  0.8 looks to be an even larger expansion of the game and required the development of entirely new systems like the procedural sector generator in addition to other new features that Alex hasn't even revealed to us yet, so I wouldn't expect it particularly soon.  The good news is that he's been quietly plugging away at this one for the better part of a year already, so it's probably closer to completion than 0.7 was at its announcement unless implementing something proves to be more complicated than he expected (which is entirely possible given the stated scope of the additions).

I'd guess 2-3 months, though not with any real authority, and if it's sooner than 2 months I'll eat a sock.

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 06:51:16 AM »

If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say we're getting it around March, unfortunately.

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 12:57:05 PM »

Those patch notes really killed my mood, I'll explain why:
Most changes seem so fantastic that playing current version of SS doesn't feel so appealing anymore, and if by any chance update will roll out in Feb or Mar, I still can't imagine this game without all these amazing mods I have, so until all that stuff will be updated, I fear I'll have to wait about 6+ months to fully enjoy Starsector 8.0a...

Elijah

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 06:08:45 AM »

I came to the forums attracted from the last dev blog to make your exactly same thread. I'm heart-broken now, though! :(

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 07:32:43 PM »

Will there be 0.79 for us to just have a quick glimpse of what's going on ?

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 11:31:43 AM »

I am getting conscripted at the start of the next year so no 0.8 for me for the next 11 months  :-[

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 02:28:59 PM »

I am getting conscripted at the start of the next year so no 0.8 for me for the next 11 months  :-[
Ouch...
Let's get together and send this man a laptop with SS .8.2 on it!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 03:59:07 PM »

Ouch...

IF you're serious, i shall aide in this endeavor
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 04:29:19 PM »

Ouch...

IF you're serious, i shall aide in this endeavor
I wish I could do that... Sadly, I am broke. I DO have a laptop sitting around but it is well worn and runs SS even worse
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Soychi

• Lieutenant
  • Ad Rem
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »

Any minute now....
ARE YOU A COWARD? This is not for you. We badly need a brave man. He must be 23 to 25 years old, in perfect health, at least six feet tall, weigh about 190 pounds, fluent English with some French, proficient with all weapons, some knowledge of engineering and mathematics essential, willing to travel, no family or emotional ties, indomitably courageous and handsome of face and figure. Permanent employment, very high pay, glorious adventure, great danger. -Glory Road, Heinlein
Pages: [1] 2