Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 643067 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1560 on: May 09, 2017, 01:49:28 PM »

I guess the installation of escape pods would be part of the safety? procedures skill :)

Nobody can use the escape pods if HR has never come around to show the crew where they are ;)
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: May 09, 2017, 04:49:43 PM »

And here I assumed that escape pods came pre-installed but ships were such death-traps in the heat of battle that without safety precautions no one ever reaches them in time.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: May 09, 2017, 05:38:32 PM »

And here I assumed that escape pods came pre-installed but ships were such death-traps in the heat of battle that without safety precautions no one ever reaches them in time.
Or they get used as flares! I mean where else would they come from?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: May 09, 2017, 10:56:18 PM »

A pirate fleet responded to me blowing a research station around a black hole. As I hid in the ring system, they activated a sensor burst... too close to the even horizon. They then drifted in, feebly attempting to escape, until their fleet was consumed in the center of the abyss.

Have I mentioned how much I love this update?

Jyi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: May 10, 2017, 02:28:53 AM »

@Jyi: just real quick, since I'm going to bed: you can change the level cap by setting playerMaxLevel in data/config/settings.json.

Well, this really made the game a lot more enjoyable for me. Thanks! I figured there was a way to do this, but didn't know it was so easy.

To me, it seems like something like lvl50 would be a better official cap, considering we now have to "waste" 12 points on aptitudes to get skills on lvl3. It's especially annoying if you want to pick skills from all skill groups and not just heavily invest in one. Feels a bit constricting.

On a more positive note: I've been playing this game for like a week straight. Shows just how addictive and fun it is.

Giblodyte

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: May 10, 2017, 04:18:46 AM »

@Jyi: just real quick, since I'm going to bed: you can change the level cap by setting playerMaxLevel in data/config/settings.json.

Well, this really made the game a lot more enjoyable for me. Thanks! I figured there was a way to do this, but didn't know it was so easy.

To me, it seems like something like lvl50 would be a better official cap, considering we now have to "waste" 12 points on aptitudes to get skills on lvl3. It's especially annoying if you want to pick skills from all skill groups and not just heavily invest in one. Feels a bit constricting.

On a more positive note: I've been playing this game for like a week straight. Shows just how addictive and fun it is.

Yeah I've changed mine to 50 and even though the XP returns are very diminishing after 40 I like it a lot more since it gives scope to round out a character after all the main skills are locked without bluntly maxing out every single skill.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: May 10, 2017, 06:10:13 AM »

I fought mostly bounties and hit the level cap before they ramped up to capitals and before I got my first capital.  By the time I had enough ships and fuel to kill max difficulty bounties and explore farther systems for Remnants, I had about triple the XP cap.  Now, I am slowly grinding more cash to stock up on supplies and rare weapons, restore some rare trophy ships, and attack more Remnants.  Now I am over four times the XP cap.

Level 50 is a better cap.  Currently, after I get the very best fleet skills, I get to choose maybe a few Combat skills to feel good or campaign luxuries like max Surveying and/or Navigation.  Even if I want to be a sub-optimal Combat junkie, 42 points are not enough to grab everything that enhances your ship only, let alone QoL skills like Surveying or Navigation.

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: May 10, 2017, 06:24:30 AM »

It's happening again, the most common one, which i've tried all solutions for, is the 'ntoskrnl.exe' error which BSOD's me (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) when I load or save, meaning I cannot play the game.

It's either that, or 'Wdf01000.sys' (very uncommon) or the nvlddmkm.sys error (which is very rare for me)
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: May 10, 2017, 06:34:03 AM »

Bad drivers. wdf01000.sys is Logitech SetPoint, nvlddmkm.sys is NVidia graphics. ntoskrnl.exe can possibly be related to graphics as well.

I don't know what you tried exactly, but ideally when changing graphics drivers you'll want to

- Uninstall the old ones,
- Boot into safe mode and run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller),
- Boot normally and install the new ones.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 07:34:01 AM by Schwartz »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: May 10, 2017, 06:37:50 AM »

I forgot to mention we will need more skill points if more skills get added, especially since aptitudes other than Combat are not full.  I bet there will be more for outpost management once that feature comes.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: May 10, 2017, 07:34:30 AM »

we now have to "waste" 12 points on aptitudes to get skills on lvl3. It's especially annoying if you want to pick skills from all skill groups and not just heavily invest in one. Feels a bit constricting.
you're by no means the only one to think so, but that's actually intentional: getting rank 3 in all 4 aptitudes is not meant to be the ideal way to spend your points. you're supposed to think about how you want to specialize, instead of always getting all the best skills from every aptitude. that is also why the aptitudes themselves do not offer any bonuses anymore.

this system has two advantages:
1) there will be more variety between different campaign runs (at least assuming you don't always specialize in the same thing in all runs).
2) individual skill balance is much easier to get right, since even a really powerful skill might not be worth taking if you didn't intend to grab several other skills in its aptitude as well. having a skill that is a no-brainer within its aptitude is much less problematic than one you'll always want to pick up.

the downside is that, as you say, the system feels constricting, and spending a point on something that doesn't by itself give any bonuses whatsoever isn't satisfying either. rather, that point is an investment into future bonuses.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: May 10, 2017, 09:12:09 AM »

the downside is that, as you say, the system feels constricting, and spending a point on something that doesn't by itself give any bonuses whatsoever isn't satisfying either. rather, that point is an investment into future bonuses.

Maybe it would help if points always came in pairs. With two points at once you'd always have one left to invest in an actual skill, even if you "have to" spend one for an aptitude.

I forgot to mention we will need more skill points if more skills get added, especially since aptitudes other than Combat are not full.  I bet there will be more for outpost management once that feature comes.

Why though? More skills just mean more choice and more viable different play stiles. They don't have to mean a higher power ceiling.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: May 10, 2017, 10:29:04 AM »

Maybe just tackle it from other side and reduce amount of skills officers get? I mean as long as I'm relatively more powerful for investing into personal skills, I'm kind of happy.

Spoiler
[close]
My build takes as many points into personal skills as I can without reducing fleetwide essentials, at cost of ignoring utility (like sensors or navigation) and money-generators (industry as whole).
Since solo is not a thing anymore, going pure personal skills at cost of fleetwide ones will just reduce my overall power.

After fleetwide skills and aptitudes, I'm left with 18-19 points on personal skills. That's less than 21 any officer can get. Of course, due to ability to fine-tune, these are better distributed. But that's fairly thin margin over level 20 officer (who are not forced to make any trade-offs).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:31:46 AM by TaLaR »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: May 10, 2017, 10:41:39 AM »

Why though? More skills just mean more choice and more viable different play stiles. They don't have to mean a higher power ceiling.
Because there are already too few skill points, and adding more skills makes the squeeze even worse.

Jyi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: May 10, 2017, 10:42:06 AM »

Mildly controversial statement about aptitudes: one not wanting to spend points on them just means it's working as intended and the game is clear about conveying the function of aptitudes.

That said, I kind of like the idea of an aptitude providing a small bonus based on the skill points spent - but it's not clear what that should be in every case. Combat is the easy one, but other aptitudes have applications on several game layers, so there really isn't a fully-representative effect. It's just a lot cleaner to only have them unlock new skill levels.

... possibly it's just a UI issue.

Weird design philosophy, if the aptitudes are meant to feel punishing. I kind of get what the idea behind them is. After all, the player is roleplaying a captain, and the captain can't be good at everything. He's like one of those Star Trek captains: either a leader, a military expert, a scientist or an engineer. But I personally feel it's almost mandatory to take 3 aptitude points in every skill category just to be able to build a relatively fun captain, even though that means I won't specialize in any one category. There are so many things that I just have to take to be able to field a fun fleet; like supply usage and fuel usage reductions.

I'm thinking, every aptitude point could give a small amount of a different quality-of-life boost. Like for example, first industry aptitude point could give 10% extra salvage, second could give 10% combat readiness reduction from being in sun corona & similar environments and so on. Then the player wouldn't actually always need to take some of these "mandatory skills", and could concentrate on taking the more fun stuff, because they would at least get a portion of the "mandatory skills" from aptitude points - or they could just go and minmax these certain attributes. Overall, I think it would encourage more varied builds.

And obviously, technology aptitude 1 or 2 could give 10% fuel usage reduction and a leadership aptitude could give 10% supply usage reduction. Maybe even more. These two stats feel especially mandatory, no matter what kind of fleet the player is building.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:46:30 AM by Jyi »
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 116