Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 643038 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1155 on: April 24, 2017, 09:09:19 AM »

Are there technical or gameplay reasons that stabilized cargo pods only stay that way for 100 days? I'd love to put down permanent emergency stashes in far away systems, for when I get in trouble later. Which, inevitably, will happen :)

Didn't want it to step on potential hypothetical things. I mean, if it's permanent it's basically an outpost.

@Baqar79: when you say heavy damage, is it mostly armor damage with some hull, or is it actually losing the fight because of it? The AI is now much more willing to take some damage on armor (and a bit on hull) to avoid costing itself flux, so unless it's actually losing these fights, this may be normal.

Even if it *could* raise shields and block the damage, that'd still cost it a bunch of dissipation, so it's not a super-obvious decision. It should also get more careful once armor is stripped/hull starts going down.

If this is indeed an issue: seeing your specific loadout would help so I can run it against the 2 sim Sunders and take a look.

@Sy: yep, reported earlier and fixed.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: April 24, 2017, 09:25:31 AM »

I was using gryphon in battle and game crashed.
Get some message about missiles in combat environments.
Is there a easy way to report bugs and is there some logs that I can attach to this(and if they are where I can find them)?

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: April 24, 2017, 09:39:53 AM »

Didn't want it to step on potential hypothetical things. I mean, if it's permanent it's basically an outpost.

Not if passing by ships yoink your loot or at least destroy your stash. They can do that right? At least yoinking loot.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: April 24, 2017, 09:42:11 AM »

Not if passing by ships yoink your loot or at least destroy your stash. They can do that right? At least yoinking loot.
Seen that happen, yea.  Dropped some Harvested Organs I picked up while exploring so I wouldn't lose rep with the patrol that was stopping me.  Of course they stopped me, then went right ahead and picked up my dropped organs soon as the dialogue exited.  Damn.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: April 24, 2017, 09:44:12 AM »

@Baqar79: when you say heavy damage, is it mostly armor damage with some hull, or is it actually losing the fight because of it? The AI is now much more willing to take some damage on armor (and a bit on hull) to avoid costing itself flux, so unless it's actually losing these fights, this may be normal.

Even if it *could* raise shields and block the damage, that'd still cost it a bunch of dissipation, so it's not a super-obvious decision. It should also get more careful once armor is stripped/hull starts going down.

If this is indeed an issue: seeing your specific loadout would help so I can run it against the 2 sim Sunders and take a look.

Does the AI maybe focus more on armor/hull status when it does the assessment to drop shields, and not so much on how good its armor is in the first place? I'm asking because I just hunted a Monitor in with two Wolfs, and it kept dropping it shields occasionally. Long enough actually so I could hit it twice with a blaster, bringing it down to 30% hull integrity (and almost killing it). After that it kept its shield up, and almost made it off the map.

The Monitor is one of the most extreme examples of shield/armor strength disparity, though.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: April 24, 2017, 09:54:33 AM »

I once saw a Hammerhead with ~65% flux levels dropping its shields with a constant stream of heavy mortar rounds inbound (single gun, no other weapons). It kind of looked like it thought the rounds were kinetic and it wanted to save its flux pool. I haven't seen this behavior repeated so haven't reported it, but it does seem relevant.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: April 24, 2017, 10:01:19 AM »

I was using gryphon in battle and game crashed.
Get some message about missiles in combat environments.
Is there a easy way to report bugs and is there some logs that I can attach to this(and if they are where I can find them)?

The full logfile would be in:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\starsector.log

If you could email it to me (fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com), I'd really appreciate it.

Yeah - that's just a lot more detail (code-wise) than I want to get into before figuring out how all the related stuff works.

Does the AI maybe focus more on armor/hull status when it does the assessment to drop shields, and not so much on how good its armor is in the first place? I'm asking because I just hunted a Monitor in with two Wolfs, and it kept dropping it shields occasionally. Long enough actually so I could hit it twice with a blaster, bringing it down to 30% hull integrity (and almost killing it). After that it kept its shield up, and almost made it off the map.

The Monitor is one of the most extreme examples of shield/armor strength disparity, though.

They look at the incoming damage compared to their defenses, so for example an Onslaught with full armor won't care that much about a bunch of Broadswords, where a Buffalo would. Probably doesn't consider fortress shield unless it's already on, though.

Seen that happen, yea.  Dropped some Harvested Organs I picked up while exploring so I wouldn't lose rep with the patrol that was stopping me.  Of course they stopped me, then went right ahead and picked up my dropped organs soon as the dialogue exited.  Damn.

Ah, I'm so glad someone ran into that. (Also, sorry. But not sorry.)

I once saw a Hammerhead with ~65% flux levels dropping its shields with a constant stream of heavy mortar rounds inbound (single gun, no other weapons). It kind of looked like it thought the rounds were kinetic and it wanted to save its flux pool. I haven't seen this behavior repeated so haven't reported it, but it does seem relevant.

It's not so much whether those are kinetic or not, right? They can still deal appreciable shield damage, and the flux situation may make taking some HE hits on armor necessary. I don't know whether it was the right call in that particular situation - but, well, how did it play out?

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: April 24, 2017, 10:07:39 AM »

a pirate fleet i killed just dropped a Flux Distributor Modspec, which is already known from the start. is that supposed to happen?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: April 24, 2017, 10:17:51 AM »

a pirate fleet i killed just dropped a Flux Distributor Modspec, which is already known from the start. is that supposed to happen?

Yes. You can still sell it!

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: April 24, 2017, 10:31:26 AM »

It's not so much whether those are kinetic or not, right? They can still deal appreciable shield damage, and the flux situation may make taking some HE hits on armor necessary. I don't know whether it was the right call in that particular situation - but, well, how did it play out?

I just complained in another thread about the system of the brawler so I feel compelled to point out the situation I was referring to there was me taking down a pirate war-armada, and the most assured victory I was getting in that fight every time was when my brawler, with two heavy mortars, got their hammerhead alone and pummeled it into dust. Can confirm mortars are actually the best HE weapon to use against shields if you don't have kinetic, and if the mortar-wielding vessel has its flux stats handled (like SO, for example) and better shields than itself, and especially if the hammerhead is running a high-tech flux-inefficient lead-out, dropping shields is absolutely the way to go.
Don't underestimate mortars and Vulcans. They may be industrial-era low-dps weapons for their size, but if your enemy has a stronger reactor and defense than you do you're doomed

EDIT: also I came here to say that salvaging & surveying makes delivery contracts way better; hording machinery In Case only to stumble upon a demand fulfillment contract and realize you've got enough to go do it without having to actually go trade for the goods needed is really good. Am definitely looking forward to the other trade goods getting rolled into the gameplay
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 10:34:26 AM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: April 24, 2017, 10:42:43 AM »

Yes. You can still sell it!
that's what i did. :]

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: April 24, 2017, 10:45:32 AM »

Hrrm, well, the Hammerhead killed the target without having to back off and vent, but lost about 50% of its front armor. The fight was nearly over as well, so in retrospect it didn't matter. I think more than anything this triggered my "Take kinetics on armor, HE on shields" mentality - looked worse than it was.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: April 24, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »

question: why would I ever run a salvage rig instead of a shepherd? I feel like the one that requires a shuttle and a tug should probably have SOME advantage over the shepherd.

edit: over-world statistically they're identical, except that the shepherd gets survey equipment by default which the rig can't, and the rig has slower burn and higher fuel costs, OR, at the same burn costs 5 times the fuel. Are we comfortable with having ships that are just straight upgrades of another with exactly 0 reason to use the prior?

edit edit: AND THE RIG COSTS MORE. Alex!

edit edit edit: also the shepherd can take unstable injectors four times over, whereas the rig can get injectors and nothing else. Not counting the OP difference offset by the shepherd getting survey equipment by default (which bumps the OP difference up to a factor of six)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:48:54 AM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: April 24, 2017, 11:38:33 AM »

Salvage rig gives 25% bonus to salvage instead of 10%.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 116