Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

What do you think of the new hyperspace terrain? Does it look bad?

Yes
- 3 (5.4%)
No
- 35 (62.5%)
Funny
- 6 (10.7%)
Somewhat Yes
- 4 (7.1%)
Somewhat No
- 5 (8.9%)
Not Sure
- 3 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Regarding the new hyperspace terrain Alex is trying to implement  (Read 14166 times)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the new hyperspace terrain Alex is trying to implement
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2016, 11:39:53 AM »

Alternate idea: The gates were so profoundly powerful that they are the source of the spiral pattern.
reading Talkie Toasters speculations, i thought of that as well. it does seem likely that the old gates are in some way the reason for why humanity's core systems are at the center of this pattern. either because the gates were deliberately placed in said center (maybe the pattern acts as some kind of anchor or focusing lense), or because the massive dimensional energies or spacetime distorions (or some such sci-fi stuff), caused by the gates themselves, were what shaped the hyperterrain in the first place.

sooo, i retract my previous statement that it wouldn't make much sense for human-designated core systems to be at the center of this celestial pattern. lots of interesting potential explanations here. :)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2016, 12:47:29 PM »

A more probable explanation (imo) is that to colonize a sector, you need to open a first gate. That gate probably has to travel in hyper for centuries like the XIVth battlegroup did, and when it activates you can start building other gates around. But it all start from one point, presumably chosen for its proximity with a lot of habitable worlds (and by that I mean terraformable ones: not some gas giants, or too dense telluric worlds, not orbiting neutron stars or brown dwarves etc)

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2016, 01:16:55 PM »

i think it looks fine

IMO, the stars themselves seem to be generating gaps in the hyperspace clouds, so the fact that a bunch of grouped stars generate a relatively calm area doesn't seem terribly unlikely.

perhaps stars generate some sort of particle that clears the clouds out, and if there's a bunch of stars nearby there's a bunch of particles and thus no clouds.

ezpz explanation

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2016, 01:59:51 PM »

ezpz explanation
that explains why there are areas clear of hyperterrain directly surrounding stars. but not why the terrain across the shown map as a whole forms a distinct, neatly shaped spiral pattern with what humans consider 'core worlds' at the center, which is what we were (or i was, at any rate) talking about.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2016, 08:24:15 PM »

it has the core worlds at the center because the cartographer was a human working for the domain and because the humans arrived at those stars, and that's where the exploration began

ezpz

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2016, 08:59:23 PM »

I think it might be a spam bot that's managed to get 361 posts in without us noticing
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2016, 11:04:00 PM »

ezpz
what does a cartographer have to do with this? i think you're kinda missing the point. a cartographer only records what is already there; the map showing a spiral pattern made up of cloud-like matter in hyperspace is because there is an actual spiral pattern made up of actual cloud-like matter in actual hyperspace. and i'm pretty sure it wasn't put there by some human cartographer who just really liked drawing spiral patterns of celestial clouds. :D

what we've been speculating about is why star systems that have been labeled and used by humans as 'core systems' just so happen to be at the center of a rather remarkable celestial formation. human core worlds being at the center of such a thing is a bit like earth being the center of the universe, obviously, because it is clearly where all the important stuff happens. except... it really does not work that way in reality.

i think there are pretty much four possible explanations for this:
1) the zone that was colonized by humans is right at the center of this massive hyperterrain pattern by pure coincidence. would be a pretty crazy coincidence, though.
2) the Domain was aware of the spiral, and deliberately chose its center as target of their initial colonization efforts.
3) the pattern didn't exist before humans (or human-made machines) arrived in the Sector, and was somehow shaped by human activity.
4) sort of a combination of 2) and 3), the pattern was created deliberately and actively by the Domain or the Sector's current inhabitants.

leaving aside 1), mostly because it would just be boring, it's interesting to speculate about the why and how of these explanations. maybe settling at the spiral's center offers some kind of advantage. or maybe it is merely a curious side effect of the old gate network, or of countless fleets transitioning to and from hyperspace around the core worlds -- kinda like waves on a water surface, forming when something enters or leaves the water with some force.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 11:10:58 PM by Sy »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2016, 05:12:57 AM »

Oh my.... It's full of stars!

That is a very impressive looking sandbox.
I just hope it doesn't choke little babby machines.
And from the positions of some of those systems I'm really hoping that storms, at least in thier current form, go far far away.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2016, 02:10:06 PM »

I think likely because of the use of the gate system pre collapse the only reasonable explanation is that they wouldn't have even considered the spiral formation before the gate system was made, so the spiral would have to have been made, from the inside pushing out, by the gate system. If it were made by hyperspace travel, like tracks through a wood, then it wouldn't be a spiral through the void but a highway between the core, which its not.
I'm thinking because there are no core systems in deep hyperspace, it's likeliest that the Stargate themselves functioned as a hyperspace slingshot and the spiral formations of the hyperspace shallows is a result of it being about the best way for a gate system that needs to tunnel out from the sector core but also to survey an unexplored sector-- the spiral pattern thus would be an intentional integral mechanism of the function of the gates
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then
Pages: 1 2 [3]