Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Codex Overhaul (05/11/24)

Author Topic: Missile Guidance  (Read 2646 times)

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
Missile Guidance
« on: November 09, 2016, 01:03:22 PM »

On the missile description popups are 2 discriptors to describe the missiles behaviour ......

Speed {slow; fast; etc}
Tracking { none; poor; good; etc}

I suggest adding a few more terms to these categories
For example Tracking: Two Stage to describe missiles like sabot
And Tracking: Multi for items like dart srm that target multiple units on their own (not sure if there is a vanilla equivalent)

It would also be nice to know if missile tubes that launch multiple missiles (annihilator, harpoon mrm pod, etc) launch in a fan, or parallel or sequentially .... but i'm not sure where that info could be placed, unfortunately

I'm sure there's a few other useful descriptors
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 01:21:25 PM by borgrel »

korda

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Missile Guidance
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 10:26:20 PM »

"Two stage", for example, wouldn't be really useful (it's simply not enough information - those two stages has to be seen or described anyway). Current info is not that bad but still it's not very useful (is 'poor tracking' good enough to reliably hit average frigate, for example?). In practice it's best to get into simulation and experiment a little.

I believe that brief descriptions of missile behavior would be better instead of trying to figure out all possible properties and meaningful values. (or are they there already? I don't look at the info anymore)

The2nd

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 05:34:52 AM »

"Two stage", for example, wouldn't be really useful (it's simply not enough information - those two stages has to be seen or described anyway).

You are right, but once you have seen what two stage means it becomes a useful indication if you see it again on a different missile. These terms are of course no replacement for a simulator test but they would give some orientation with out spending a lot of time in the simulator.

With more weapons getting added a spot of description would be welcome. Especially for new players.

korda

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 10:32:53 PM »

"Two stage", for example, wouldn't be really useful (it's simply not enough information - those two stages has to be seen or described anyway).

You are right, but once you have seen what two stage means it becomes a useful indication if you see it again on a different missile. These terms are of course no replacement for a simulator test but they would give some orientation with out spending a lot of time in the simulator.

With more weapons getting added a spot of description would be welcome. Especially for new players.

Two-stage operation can really differ in behavior between two missiles in practice. There is no "standard" for two-stage missiles - sure it can hint that missile will change it's behavior some time after the launch but it's not enough to actually make it a useful hint. I guess giving that kind of stats can reinforce atmosphere of interacting with high-tech sci-fi world, but it's not useful in any way on it's own.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 04:10:38 AM »

'complex' with a tooltip that pops up showing an animation of the weapon's launch sequence.

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 05:18:45 AM »

animations of all weapons and missiles in their tooltips might be very useful