Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The best shipping ships  (Read 13117 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The best shipping ships
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 03:22:55 AM »

Sorry for the necro, but I've just started using starliners as my principle cargo hauler myself (after overlooking them)

Sure supply cost sucks, but it isn't that much of a concern to me anymore. (at least not from a cost perspective; running out can still be a concern :D).

At burn 9, the "Cargo capacity per fleet slot" is unmatched, same burn efficiency as buffalo too, yet a much more efficient fuel transport, so there's no need to drag a Phaeton around with you.
As having a large fleet cargo capacity increases the likelihood of encountering large courier missions (which can be disgustingly profitable), it makes sense to run around with a fast cargo and huge cargo hauling fleet all the time.

The only significant downsides are:
- sensor profile is double that of the buffalo
- you don't get shielded cargo holds.
- CR recovery cost is 4 times higher (this one actually bites quite hard; emergency burn becomes insanely expensive)

:edit:

Also, fill all that personnel space with additional crew, and you'll never again waste any crew XP - creating an additional (fairly lucrative) revenue source.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 04:34:51 AM by TJJ »

BHunterSEAL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 04:55:19 PM »

Speaking of shielded cargo holds, what happens in a mixed shielded/unshielded fleet scenario, assuming the amount of contraband <= the cargo capacity of the shielded vessel?

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 05:40:16 PM »

IT IS FORBIDDEN KNOWLEDGE

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2016, 05:42:59 PM »

Speaking of shielded cargo holds, what happens in a mixed shielded/unshielded fleet scenario, assuming the amount of contraband <= the cargo capacity of the shielded vessel?

Thread on the topic; not everything answered, but most aspects of the mechanic.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10820.0
Pages: 1 [2]