Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Which digital game resellers are not like G2A?  (Read 3863 times)

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Which digital game resellers are not like G2A?
« on: July 15, 2016, 12:21:08 PM »

Ok I decided to make this new thread, since I just learned that G2A has been doing something *** and thankfully it seems it is the only place I used that seems to be like this. Although since I do not know how the world works, I felt like asking for people that might know more.

I looked up the sites I use and mainly I use Bundle Stars, IndieGala and WinGameStore. But I am use I used in the past G2A and maybe a couple others I do not remember, since they were single time buy from them.

I am looking online trying to find which sites sell games in low prices, because they are allowed to and not because they can sell stolen goods and get away with it.

I found this list and I am happy to see the names of sites I have used in the past... and in the comments how G2A is ***. Can I get a couple of second opinions on the trustworthiness of this list?
Ignorance is bliss..

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Which digital game resellers are not like G2A?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 03:17:55 PM »

The problem with G2A, is that they don't follow up reports of fraudulent sales.
As a customer you'll get a refund (if you purchased their insurance), but they don't pursue legal action against the seller of the fraudulent key.
Consequently it's a magnet for stolen keys, or keys bought with stolen money.

Key sellers like CDKeys sell many grey market keys; not illegal, but being sold into unintended regions.
Likewise, you can use a VPN to buy keys from foreign stores; so long as they aren't region locked you can make excellent savings.
This might be breaching EULAs, but it's not illegal & you'll never be challenged for it.

Beyond a publisher's authorised resellers, you really can't know where a store sources its keys from; it might even change on a game-by-game basis.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 03:20:48 PM »

G2A is dirty. They also offer pyramid schemes to Twitch streamers and, should you deny, G2A spambots suddenly start popping up in your chat. Ech. I bought some super cheap games there, then quickly got rid of my account when I learned about their business practices. Can't really offer much in the way of alternatives. With particularly cheap offers, there's always the chance that they scammed their keys.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 03:34:03 PM »

I am definitely avoiding from now on anything that looks like a marketplace for sure. I guess they indeed act like ebay, but they try to profit from illegal sellers. So much so that when fraud appears, they ban them or just retract money from they wallet that they have on their site.. and keep the money. I definitely prefer to buy from sites that do not have marketplaces.

Reddit GameDeals is usually what I look once in a while for deals, which is why I have used such sites a lot. Not G2A. That came from cheap games finder sites.

It must be hard for streamers that got into that crap.. Whenever I hear pyramid, bad thoughts come to mind..
Ignorance is bliss..

sparkie

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 07:03:36 AM »

I personally just tend to stick to GoG and Steam, during sales of course, that way you're pretty safe from both grey market keys and stolen keys, and you get pretty good sales if you're patient. Plus, with GoG you get DRM free games, with an optional game client, like steam, for ease of updates and such, but it's by no means required.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 08:04:24 AM »

Almost all key sellers are in the same market. Some sites may be cleaner than others (not using stolen CCs), but the ones where you go to purchase your 10-20% off game.. they're not.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:14:09 AM by Cosmitz »

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 08:10:42 AM »

* borgrel puts on my intelligence boosting pyramid hat that Micheal Jackson believed in

What do u have against pyramids!
* borgrel glares fiercely  >:(