Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Flickering on a GTX 960 with latest drivers.  (Read 28117 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Flickering on a GTX 960 with latest drivers.
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2016, 04:56:10 AM »

Could you record a video of the corruption(s) and upload it to YouTube?
Knowing precisely when, and which texture(s) are affected will be useful.

Also do you have access to any other opengl/lwjgl games to see if they might also exhibit the same issue anywhere?

http://wiki.lwjgl.org/wiki/Projects_Using_LWJGL

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 04:58:51 AM »

Only because recently I thought my GPU was ready to be thrown out of the window, and if things go south with the drivers, I would suggest trying to remove it from your PC, clean it's connection and put it back in.

Randomly my GPU started giving me artifacts and errors and the PC would get stuck. I tried removing the static a handful of times, holding the power button while the PC was not connected, but sadly it did not work.

I just then took it off, cleared the dust and when I put it back on, it was as if it never had a problem. It was weird cause if I did not try to play a game or watch a video, it would not have problems. As soon as I did, it would show artifacts and eventually get stuck. That feminine part of the computers, that I will never understand..

It sounds far fetched, but I've encountered this too. (A small insect decide to die and fall into the pci-e header!)

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 05:11:18 AM »

I hope you forgave it >.> (may it rest in peace).

I stopped believing anything is farfetched in the age of XP. My computer would BSOD me when I played games for a bit and my graphics card was new. I tried everything I literally could, checking every piece on another motherboard with no problems.. I could not believe it when I tried the last thing, removing my floppy drive, that it actually it was the floppy drive making my PC bonkers. I rarely ever had used it in the XP generation and it was the cause of my PC acting as if it was ready to be thrown to the bin.. well at least the motherboard as I thought. -_- A mere unused floppy drive.. I will never forget.
Ignorance is bliss..

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 05:20:31 AM »

Only because recently I thought my GPU was ready to be thrown out of the window, and if things go south with the drivers, I would suggest trying to remove it from your PC, clean it's connection and put it back in.

Randomly my GPU started giving me artifacts and errors and the PC would get stuck. I tried removing the static a handful of times, holding the power button while the PC was not connected, but sadly it did not work.

I just then took it off, cleared the dust and when I put it back on, it was as if it never had a problem. It was weird cause if I did not try to play a game or watch a video, it would not have problems. As soon as I did, it would show artifacts and eventually get stuck. That feminine part of the computers, that I will never understand..

I've also gotten heavy artifacting due to dust but then it would be completely random and would happen in any game that pushes the card above a certain temperature. In this case it's not random, it happens with very precise elements.

Could you record a video of the corruption(s) and upload it to YouTube?
Knowing precisely when, and which texture(s) are affected will be useful.

Also do you have access to any other opengl/lwjgl games to see if they might also exhibit the same issue anywhere?

http://wiki.lwjgl.org/wiki/Projects_Using_LWJGL

I don't have access to other opengl games but it also happens in Overwatch when looking at the only transparency screen in the game so it's safe to say it's not limited to that type of game.

Can't really record but it happens when:

In the main menu, when moving the mouse across the various options, sometimes a small glitch will appear.
When in the codex, on the main page while accessed through the main menu, the first two options (ship etc, can't remember), will glitch periodically. If planets or nebulas are behind then they sometimes take priority and appear above the codex, when that happens the codex window border flash white.
In-game, when I attack something or dock to a base, anytime I have a choice, the screen will flash white for what appears to be one frame.
Inside shops, items will sometimes flicker, but always in the same locations, regardless of what items they are, how many there are, etc... If the slot is empty then you can still see the effect, it's just less obvious.
In-game, if I open the map in combat, it will periodically flash white, this happens more often if asteroids are behind, but will happen regardless. Only the map flashes white, I can move it around and only this rectangle is affected.

Even though it would be really strange that only this would be affected, it looks like a hardware failure because the "glitches" of the text really look like a distortion, almost like it was made on purpose for the game but sadly it's not. Maybe it's not even the card and something else is at fault. It's just strange because they always appear in the same places, not at random. This is very frustrating.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 07:23:01 AM »

Might be worth trying a tweak of the AA settings for Starsector in your nvidia control panel; Multisampling seems to be a common cause of flickering textures on modern cards.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 09:53:51 AM »

Sigh... Just played Overwatch for 3.5 hours straight with the card topping the temp at 64°C, all smooth, no stutter, not a single framerate drop.

AA is already off for Starsector in the panel, I'll try to force other kinds of AA. I know that Audiosurf would completely fail to render with one specific type of AA.

I almost want it to be a hardware failure now, the little things like that are what's annoying me the most.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 10:20:12 AM »

What driver version are you using?

GeForce Game Ready Driver 362.00. But I just updated to 368.81.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2016, 11:34:29 AM »

Well that rules out faulty drivers.

Edit: I tried forcing various settings, I switched msaa, fxaa, and aniso off, still the same.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 11:48:59 AM by Euphytose »

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2016, 02:39:04 PM »

Set your card settings to factory defaults via the Nvidia app. Don't *** with that stuff, man.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2016, 07:49:43 PM »

Not sure what you mean. Factory defaults are used when you install a new driver if you select "clean installation", which you should always do. I then modify game specific options, never the global ones. I tried changing every setting for Starsector because I have nothing to lose anyway. Worst case scenario the game refuses to launch, but it didn't happen anyway. Absolutely nothing changed.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 01:00:35 AM »

Not sure what you mean. Factory defaults are used when you install a new driver if you select "clean installation", which you should always do. I then modify game specific options, never the global ones. I tried changing every setting for Starsector because I have nothing to lose anyway. Worst case scenario the game refuses to launch, but it didn't happen anyway. Absolutely nothing changed.

Definitely changing opengl settings, not directx?
It's been a long time since I had an nvidia card, but they used to be separate settings.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 05:35:32 AM »

Definitely changing opengl settings, not directx?
It's been a long time since I had an nvidia card, but they used to be separate settings.

Yeah it's the correct panel. I force v-sync off from here and it works. I know you can remove it in the config file but I actually find it easier here. All other settings had no effect apart from the pre-rendered frame which very slightly reduced the performance (unnoticeable really) and also slightly reduced the input lag, as expected.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2016, 07:55:57 PM »

Honestly this sounds with high possibility a bad card. If you could return it and get a replacement you should. Cards about to die often wont crash or drop in fps (because the main chip almost never have problems). Pay close attention if you see any other weird artifacts in other games.

If you cant return it or anything you could try "re-flushing" it. There are many ways and you can google it how it works.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2016, 08:36:41 AM »

Honestly this sounds with high possibility a bad card. If you could return it and get a replacement you should. Cards about to die often wont crash or drop in fps (because the main chip almost never have problems). Pay close attention if you see any other weird artifacts in other games.

If you cant return it or anything you could try "re-flushing" it. There are many ways and you can google it how it works.

Since March when I started using it, there has been no other problem besides this one. The cards are tested before shipping. If I return it and it turns out that the card is fine I'd be pretty annoyed. If the card is really about to die then in a few months tops it's going to stop working altogether. Then I can safely return it. I think it's one year warranty minimum so I'm good for now.

Even though the fact that changing drivers had no effect at all, it's still very strange that the problem only occurs when it comes to transparency, and in the case of Starsector, the glitches always appear at the same exact places. When a card is artifacting it's totally random and also a lot worse than this. In 3D games you start to see polygons that deform, screen covered in "checkers", acid trip colors etc...

It's soon going to be 5 months and the card is used every day in 3D apps that fully utilize it (HWMonitor reports 100% usage anyway).

If I had another card to test I would gladly do that but while the card is being sent I have no GPU whatsoever, basically I can't use my PC, not even an integrated chipset. Well, I have my previous damaged one but the main chip is dead so it's locked in 800x600, I have no idea how it's still able to produce any image to be honest. I actually have to disable the GPU in safe mode to start the system but the screen is plugged on it... Heh, it's dead anyway.

I googled "re-flushing gpu" but didn't find anything that wasn't game specific.

PS: I know it almost sounds like I don't want to fix the problem, but trust me I do want to fix it. I tried everything in the control panel, tried various drivers versions and I would try another card but right now apart from the transparency stuff it's fine so that's why I'm a bit reluctant about being PC less for a few weeks due to lack of other GPU.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2016, 08:40:34 AM by Euphytose »

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2016, 03:59:58 AM »

The card is probably fine. Some AMD users also get these colorful flickers, lines and triangles when playing SS. Assume it's an issue between Starsector's OpenGL implementation, the driver and the kind of hardware used.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4