Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Intermittent error "Fatal: unable to generate any gl lists"  (Read 4902 times)

CrimsonCrow

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I get this Intermittent error "Fatal: unable to generate any gl lists" every so often, while it does not keep me from playing the game, as I just have to restart and try again, it is frustrating. I even removed an old version of Java 7 with uninstall and the frequency diminished, but I still get it every so often. Three or four times during a gaming session.

The two times this error comes up most often is when:

(1) I load the main game to the title screen and do not load or start a game immediately (ie. letting the ships fight for a bit.) Then I try to load and the loading box with the progress bar does not appear but it is loading as if it were, taking the same amount of time.
(2) While in game, essentially the same thing happens, I go to reload a previous save and many times it works fine with the loading progress box popping up, but then every so often it doesn't and I get this error again.

When it's done loading, in both instances, I can move the mouse around and hear the menu beeps as the cursor passes over menu buttons, though the screen is still the same as when I started to load, like it never refreshes the screen to the current load.

Any suggestions would be great! Below is and excerpt out of my log file as I can find how to attach it in this post.

Don

8726032 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to generate any gl lists
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to generate any gl lists
   at com.fs.graphics.util.GLListManager.beginList(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.graphics.super.ooOO.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.graphics.super.ooOO.Õ00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.C.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.render(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Intermittent error "Fatal: unable to generate any gl lists"
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 12:20:15 PM »

Hi - hmm. A couple of questions:

1) Are you running vanilla, or with mods? Also, what operating system?
2) Are your graphics drivers up-to-date?

The second one is the most likely culprit, based on what you're describing.

michael1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 09:13:08 AM »

Hey, I have this exact same issue. It's hard to test because the crashes are random but I think it only occurs with a large number of faction mods installed. Disabling the larger factions seems to reduce the chance for the crash to happen and only running a few faction mods seems to fix the problem completely. Also, if the radar mod is enabled the error changes from this:

359633 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to generate any gl lists
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to generate any gl lists
   at com.fs.graphics.util.GLListManager.beginList(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.graphics.super.ooOO.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.graphics.super.ooOO.Õ00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.C.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.render(Unknown Source)

to this:

777371 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Cannot use offsets when Array Buffer Object is disabled
org.lwjgl.opengl.OpenGLException: Cannot use offsets when Array Buffer Object is disabled
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.GLChecks.ensureArrayVBOenabled(GLChecks.java:93)
   at org.lwjgl.opengl.GL11.glVertexPointer(GL11.java:2690)
   at org.lazywizard.radar.util.DrawQueue.draw(DrawQueue.java:504)
   at org.lazywizard.radar.renderers.campaign.RadarBoxRenderer.render(RadarBoxRenderer.java:158)
   at org.lazywizard.radar.renderers.campaign.RadarBoxRenderer.render(RadarBoxRenderer.java:19)
   at org.lazywizard.radar.plugins.CampaignRadarPlugin.render(CampaignRadarPlugin.java:190)
   at org.lazywizard.radar.plugins.CampaignRadarPlugin.advance(CampaignRadarPlugin.java:225)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.advance(Unknown Source)

I also updated my graphics drivers and allocated more ram to the game but that didn't seem to make any difference to this issue. This game is a lot more interesting with a bunch of factions so I really hope this bug can be fixed.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 09:17:22 AM »

Hmm. What kind of graphics card do you have?

Given that your drivers are up-to-date, the first error sounds like it might be running out of video memory. If it's the sort of card where the video memory is actually in RAM (i.e. some kinds of integrated cards), then reducing the memory allocated to the game might actually increase the amount of video memory available.

The second error, I'm not sure about, but seems like it could be a "running out of VRAM" issue as well.

michael1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 09:40:27 AM »

I'm using a GeForce GTX 660. I did have to allocate a large amount of ram (3-6gb) to get all the factions working together since I had some saving issues and I read in a thread (that I cant seem to find anymore) that with a large amount of faction mods you need 5+ gb of ram, so that might also be a problem but I've had the game crash when it was only using like 4gb.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 09:44:54 AM »

I think you should list your mods, just in case. My SS used around 6GB of ram on my latest Corvus Mode Nexerelin. I am not sure what you are playing, but ram is not only affected by factions, but in Nexerelin it can be also how large you made the galaxy.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 09:47:16 AM by Weltall »
Ignorance is bliss..

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 09:46:14 AM »

Just to be clear, what I'm suggesting might be the problem is running out of video memory - memory on the graphics card, which is different from regular RAM. Video memory (VRAM) is used for things like the actual sprites and a bunch of other graphics-related stuff.

But given hat the card specs say it has 2 gigs of video memory, that seems unlikely. Hmm. Can you try turning off GraphicsLib from its GRAPHICS_OPTIONS.ini? That might help.

Another question is what else you've got running at the same time, if anything. And if you've rebooted recently and/or reboot fairly regularly.

michael1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 10:47:39 AM »

First off I just wanted to say thank you so much for all the quick help. I'm studying computer science so I did know there was a difference between ram and vram, I just wanted to be sure that allocating 6gb of normal ram wasn't causing the issue. Here's my mod list:

Starsector+
AI war
Approlight
Autonomous ships
Blackrock Driveyards
Combat Alarm Sounds
Combat Chatter
Common Radar
Console Commands
Diable Avionics
ICE
Interstellar Imperium
Junk pirates
Lazylib
Metelson Industries
Neutrino Corporation
New Galactic Order
Nexerelin
P9 Colony Group
Pegasus Belt Council
Pirate salvage mod
portrait pack
scy nation
shadowyards
ship/weapon pack
crystanite coalition
knights templar
mayorate
tiandong
twiglib
underworld
upgraded rotary weapons
version checker
audio plus
graphicslib

I know I'm using a huge amount of faction mods but the game would still crash after disabling 3 - 4 of the larger mods. Ive only used Corvus mode with nexerelin so far so it's definitely all the faction mods that use up most of the ram. I tried testing the game with GraphicsLib off and so far I can't get it to crash so that might've fixed it, though I've seen the game take longer to crash before. I attached an image with all my current processes and I have already rebooted multiple times trying to fix the issue. My computer just might not be able to handle all those mods with GraphicsLib turned on which is surprising since it is a gaming rig.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 12:13:53 PM »

Although it might not help, go to the config of the GraphicsLib and at the bottom of the config, disable only the Post Processing

"enablePostProcess":false

Although I have AMD and not NVidia, Post Processing seems to give me trouble when activated. When off, I do not get problems. Just something to test out, to see if that will let you play with GraphicsLib on.

AS for the mods, I have played with most of your mods, but I had Dynasector too, although I doubt not having that makes the game more unstable.. ahem.

The mods I have not used in my play were Combat Alarm Sounds, ICE, New Galactic Order, Pirate salvage mod and Crystanite Coalition (although I usually play with it, but not on my latest big play).

You can see the thread I made and help I got here; http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11246.msg190825#msg190825
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 12:31:01 PM by Weltall »
Ignorance is bliss..

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 03:57:58 PM »

That is a huge number of mods and I suspect it may actually eat up 2GB of VRAM.  2GB of VRAM is equivalent to about 6144 of 256x256 ARGB 8-bit-per-channel uncompressed mipmapped images, like what Starsector uses.  I can see an average faction using at least 20 of those, taking the power-of-two law into account.  Some mods, like Scy and most mods with maps for GraphicsLib, can use a really huge amount of VRAM (over 200 MB).  Add overhead, extra load from GraphicsLib, and the amount your OS uses, and you can end up crashing for that.